TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Kevin's allergies have started getting worse.. The vet recommended putting him on Apoquel but i want to try a new food before we go that route.

One of the foods recommended was Zignature Kangaroo. I've seen Zignature mentioned a few times on the forums but i don't see it on the food rating page. Whats the general consensus on this brand?

In the past we have tried:
Fromm: (No local source at the time, dogs didn't like any of the flavors)
Merrick (was hard to get them both to eat it... bad tear stains)
TOTW: Pacific Stream (did ok on it for about a year.. but now the itching is getting worse)

Zignature comes highly recommended by our local 'high end pet food store'. The owner said its their top seller for EB's & Allergies.

Thoughts?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty has been on it since Acana changed and so far so good. I switch between the Duck and the Salmon andTrout combo as I know he doesn't have problems with those proteins. When he first started eating it, he had massive poo's and I have heard others mention that too. They are back to normal now thank goodness! It is a bit higher in sodium so I wouldn't give it to a dog with heart problems.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/zignature-dog-food/

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
A rescue, Lexie, we placed many years ago was Okay with Deer and Kangaroo. I can't say for sure but I'm thinking it was the Zignature that they were feeding. Pricey, but it worked.
Lexie's Dad was an avid hunter so he and his friends spent much of the hunting season stocking The freezer for their special needs bully.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If you're going to pay them prices, why dont you do honest kitchen grain free and add one protein at a time. Like that you're in control immediately if he has allergies to which meat/protein to eliminate. One meat per month then change to a different meat so you know other meats he can tolerate or not. Or...... you can go raw or home cooking if you have the time. Raw, home cooking, honest kitchen = no more allergies.....kibbles = Eeeeeehhhh lol My 2 cents worth!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/Helene on the Honest Kitchen, and I think that Todd was using Kangaroo as a protein for Harley [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]

I have used Earthborne Holistic for my boxer, and she thrived on it... I also liked it because it was easier to purchase locally.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
One thing our vet mentioned with the winter months and drier air the itching could be an environmental issue.

As far as the food you are looking into, I have not heard one way or another except for the comments already made on this thread. Bentley went through a bout of itching and we put him on Benadryl.

We do hope Kevin's itching stops soon. Jewel and Bentley say hello Kevin.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
KEVIN!!! How could you post without adding a pic of my fav guy??? anyhoo, Brutus has bad allergies and we have him on Fromm Hasen Duckenpheffer which is grain free duck and rabbit (novel protiens) which are fantastic for allergies. He is doing great on it. I also did the Honest Kitchen with Duck as the protien. Brutus did well on this also, but lost 10 pounds so I took him off of it. If he could maintain his weight while on it, I would have kept him on it. It really was great for him. So how about a new pic of my little friend?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I agree w/Helene on the Honest Kitchen, and I think that Todd was using Kangaroo as a protein for Harley @Marine91

I have used Earthborne Holistic for my boxer, and she thrived on it... I also liked it because it was easier to purchase locally.
Yep. Kangaroo is one of her favorites. We also used elk, venison, caribou, moose, ostrich, emu, bison, pheasant, alligator and wild boar.

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Thanks for everybody's response..

I let the doggies try a little of the Zignature Kangaroo last night and they both LOVED it. Which is crazy, because Molly HATES EVERYTHING (unless its cheese)! But.. It sounds like it's higher in sodium then i'd like.

I think im going to try @helsonwheels idea of trying Honest Kitchen (it looks like the same store i bought the sample Zignature from also sells Honest Kitchen). Hopefully it will work out like @brutus77 said and he'll also lose a little weight at the same time.

side note.. umm.. The vet used the 'cubby' word again last week. On the way home I had to tell Kevin that she meant PHAT as in "Yo, Kevin.. your so PHAT!!" (Pretty Hot and Tempting).. not the other FAT. I don't think he bought it..

I'm a horrible parent because i haven't taken a lot of pictures of the dogs lately.. you'll have to settle for some recent pictures from my phone.

kevin2017.jpg

molly2017.jpg

Kevin on his ottoman watching people watch TV... And molly sleeping on the couch with cheese on her nose.

Thanks for everybodys help! I'm off to the pet food store again today :)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I looked at Honest Kitchen base mix but at this point do not want to cook Duck or Salmon for him on a regular basis plus I feed both my dogs the same food. If I find down the road that he can't tolerate any of the Zignature options then I will probably give HK another look. Zignature is less expensive than Acana, Orijen etc and a similar cost to Fromms. HK is more expensive from what I have seen.

I had to take my doxie to the vet yesterday and he was saying that tree pollens are really picking up (at least, here in Houston). Great! I have notcied Monty licking his paws a bit so here we go, the winter respite is over!! :mad:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
After the talk of sodium I called Zignature and Fromms to try and get a comparison as best I could and to put my mind at rest. I am quite happy now with what I feed as I don't think I have ever heard any complaints on here about the sodium content in Fromms.

AS FED

Zignature Duck .4%
Fromms Duck & Sweet potato .3%

Zignature Salmon & Trout .2%
Fromms Salmon a la Veg .39%

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION]..... You lost me...and doesn't take much lolll so what you're saying is you don't want to cook a protein to add to the H K base? It doesn't need to be duck or salmon. Can be any meat. Start with beef. If that doesn't work try chicken or turkey etc. Whatever you are eating for supper as meat make an extra portion. Like feeding a child.

Sooooo.....

The HK box I have makes 29lbs. I paid $72. In Canada is always more expensive than US. But if I buy Acana lamb, cost me not far from $85 and last a month ish and its 25lbs only. If I do the math, HK comes out to the same price. Maybe $10 more out of my pocket. But at least Nyala is eating real food. If its going to cost me 10 $ more a month and down the road she's healthy, well im sure fine with that. Acana n orijen are the top notch kibbles out there hands down. But no matter what, it still has to be process to form it into a little kibble. Boils down people can feed there dog whatever they want. So all of you EBN members, my input is a suggestion. :yes:

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online