adding to puppy food

Tilden

Jan 22, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Thanks to EBN i will be going with fromms puppy food. Question i have is what do you mix (if anything) in with your food. Was thinking about some Yogurt, but wanted to get suggestions from all of y'all. My other dog is boxer-bulldog mixed and we feed her dry with wet food mixed in.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs have never had canned food. They eat dry,and two tablespoons of yogurt at night. When they were smaller,they got one tablespoon. They are happy with their diet and so far doing well,so I don't mess with it-of course they get probiotics and NuVet,too

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello!! :welcome3:

As a puppy I did not add anything till they were in need of something or I knew they were on track and liking the food (Fromm heartland puppy). At about 4 months, I added some plain yogurt, but now he get kibble, pure canned pumpkin and coconut oil

OP
T

Tilden

Jan 22, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Thank you for the info

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ok.... little lesson to you yogurt people....

Dogs need probiotics ONLY if they were on meds especially on antibiotics. There is a good amount of probiotics in yogurts BUT....."most of it is pasteurized. It's heated to high temperatures in order to kill off harmful pathogens and bacteria. Safe for human consumption only!!!

If you're going to give you dog probiotics, give it as a supplement. I say this often.....the one in your health food stores in the FRIDGE and not the shelf ones. It's not how many billions it says on the box that counts but the "live strains" inside. The more the better. It's the same probiotic I use for myself n for Nyala. In Quebec where I was born and raised, we are the only province that has unpasteurized milk, raw cheeses etc. There is such a big difference in taste too. Anyhoooooo There's a great website I kept... hang on will go find it....

:detective2::hmm: Why Not Yoghurt? - Dogs Naturally Magazine

I think I should start a new thread on this yogurt business. It does boil down to what you as the owner wants to do as its your dog. But I personally wouldn't give Nyala regular yogurts. again, probiotics is ONLY if dog is on meds or has health issues and needs maintenance.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs love yogurt-and that is their treat!:D They don't get handouts.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I posted in the "you yogurt people" thread and will post this here as well - because, honestly, I was a little offended by the statement. I know you meant no disrespect, however, I pride myself on researching what to give my boy and take a lot into consideration upon reading people's personal experiences…Stoneyfield was a yogurt that came highly recommended to help aid in digestion issues, a top ingredient in doing a "bland diet" and also a nice cool treat, safe for dogs for the summer time. The AKC website did an article on probiotics being offered in some yogurts - "some" being the keyword - and suggested it as well as a quote derived from a whole dog journal piece.
"You yogurt people" are many of the members that have done extensive research on the matter and have wisely chosen to add yogurt into the diet if one so chooses…yogurt w/out added sugars and/or flavors for obvious reasons. It may not always be vet recommended as there is some controversy on the matter…however, some vets DO recommend yogurt for diarrhea in puppies. When new EBNers are doing their research, it's helpful to have different sides on a subject matter - my reason for posting this, no other…not trying to start anything, just wanted to be clear of facts and research. Yogurt can be given to a dog to help with digestive issues and can be offered to provide certain strains of beneficial bacteria.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.