General Question Thinking of switching his food

BisouBisou

Nov 13, 2016
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bisou
currently we are feeding him freshpet vital and at first he loved it! but lately unless he is really hungry he lets it sit for a few minutes and then eats.

some brand i came across was
Acana
merrick
orijen
taste of wild

any experience with these brands would be greatly appreciated.

also considering going raw there is a person in our are who prepares and provides raw meals for dogs.

thanks for all of your input 😄

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
The two that i use are Acana (started with fish, and rotate with lamb and apple, and hummm, cant think of the other.. also use honest Kitchen.. And ;) also have plenty of pre-made raw that i switch between... I know many stick to one as allergies are a biggie with this breed, but I have found this to be good for us :) I also do some home cooking sooooooooooooooooooooooooo, as far as the kibble, looks like you have some good ones there :) And absolutely huge thumbs up to raw :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The two that i use are Acana (started with fish, and rotate with lamb and apple, and hummm, cant think of the other.. also use honest Kitchen.. And ;) also have plenty of pre-made raw that i switch between... I know many stick to one as allergies are a biggie with this breed, but I have found this for us :) I also do some home cooking sooooooooooooooooooooooooo, as far as the kibble, looks like you have some good ones there :) And absolutely huge thumbs up to raw :)

[MENTION=16539]BisouBisou[/MENTION] I do exactly like mentioned above. I own a business and very busy. Boils down I want Nyala still eating fresh. I home cook but looking I to honest kitchen. She will get raw once in a while and if its kibbles she gets acana lamb. I will top her kibbles with organs. I got her fish and she turned her nose on that. :) I ended up bring the fish kibbles to the spca. If you're looking into kibbles stick to orijen or acana.i have the Canadian Acana. Big difference. Orijen is very high in calories but fantastic kibble! Just watch how much you feed if your puppy doesn't exercise. I would start with the bags with one protein in them. Easier to track allergies. Don't forget, if it has example lentils in the kibble it's protein. It adds up.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
All of the foods that you have listed are great high quality kibble... raw is also a great choice if you have the time and availability.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
One of the reasons I like Fromm, there are different varieties incase Bass get's "bored". Some of the varieties contribute to darker tear-stains and build-up in his nose rope…(I'm pretty sure Lamb is one of them), but his stool is never effected negatively when on Fromm, so changing up the flavor every once in a while is an option.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
if you have the means to do so.... raw is the best choice.

Otherwise the brands you list are good foods... even add Earthborn and Fromm

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
currently we are feeding him freshpet vital and at first he loved it! but lately unless he is really hungry he lets it sit for a few minutes and then eats.

some brand i came across was
Acana
merrick
orijen
taste of wild

any experience with these brands would be greatly appreciated.

also considering going raw there is a person in our are who prepares and provides raw meals for dogs.

thanks for all of your input ��

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Ii do a lot of home cooking for Nyala but right now with my busy company I switched to Honest Kitchen. And yes if it's affordable, home cooking, honest kitchen, raw are great. Kibbles again orijen, acana are tops. Here's a great link.

Company Researches 2,200 Dog Food Formulas And Finds ONLY 119 To Be Satisfactory ? iHeartDogs.com

apennycuff

Jul 28, 2014
One of the reasons I like Fromm, there are different varieties incase Bass get's "bored". Some of the varieties contribute to darker tear-stains and build-up in his nose rope…(I'm pretty sure Lamb is one of them), but his stool is never effected negatively when on Fromm, so changing up the flavor every once in a while is an option.

Is the tear stains from the food necessarily a bad thing? I mean, does it mean they are allergic and should be taken off the food. I have had my bulldog on zignature version for about a month and he seems to tolerate it well and skin looks good, except... he has develop dark tear stains and I have notice the same coming from the nose rope. No irritation present, just the dark stain. He has never had this issue before. It's not noticeable on him due to his fur coloring so not sure that I should worry about it I that much or not??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Is the tear stains from the food necessarily a bad thing? I mean, does it mean they are allergic and should be taken off the food. I have had my bulldog on zignature version for about a month and he seems to tolerate it well and skin looks good, except... he has develop dark tear stains and I have notice the same coming from the nose rope. No irritation present, just the dark stain. He has never had this issue before. It's not noticeable on him due to his fur coloring so not sure that I should worry about it I that much or not??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, not necessarily a bad thing, it just usually means there is an underlying allergy/yeast issue. If there is no itching or excessive watery eyes/nose etc…then it's really just a cosmetic issue. I would definitely "note" it if I were you, just in the matter of any further issues that may arise. Also take a snap shot of the bag of Zignature's ingredients. It may just be one pesky ingredient that contributes. There are a few home remedies on here for treating tear stains (but just keep in mind there is an underlying issue). One of them is a mixture of milk of magnesia, cornstarch and hydrogen peroxide. Mix into a paste and apply to the stains (careful to avoid the eye itself). This may work better on a lighter/whiter dog though…with having a darker dog and stains not being noticeable, it's probably not the best remedy for you, so just concentrate on keeping the area clean and dry and take notice of any food/treats etc…that contribute (and write it down).

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
Pablo has wicked tear stains. Maybe it's the lamb doing it!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online