KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Asking once again about food/weight issues.

We brought Daphne home on December 16th. She was just a few days shy of 4 months old. She had had a vet check that morning and weighed 17.5 lbs.. Five days later we got her into our vet for a well baby first check up She weighed 20.5 lbs. That was the 21st. Today ( the 1st of January) she weighs 24.5 lbs To the eye it seems like she's almost doubled in size.

We have 3 other dogs here. All have been self-feeds for their entire lives until Daphne arrived. They have never gained a pound in their adult lives. She's such a glutton everyone is now fed in their crates, the older three once a day, Daphne twice a day. She gets a cup or so twice a day. We feed Zignature. I previously had 3 Shar Peis, 2 males and a female so am somewhat familiar with muscled dogs. They self-fed and did not gain weight. I've also had Afghans (3 litters) 2 Bassett Hounds and two Golden Retrievers.

I walk Daphne twice a day, a half mile each time. Sometimes we jog just a little. She's very smart and in the short time we've had her or probably that she's had us, she had learned the doggie door. how to walk on the lead, how to heel on lead (unless she sees a butterfly,then all heeling bets are off) and how to sit and stay. She sleeps in her crate without a whimper. Last night I forgot to set a 1:30AM alarm to take her outing we both got a full night's sleep until 7:15AM with no accident. She immediately went out and pooped and peed. I walk her after morning and evening feedings. She always poops on each walk, big poops by the way...wow. I've gotten used to small dogs.

I'm not trying to be thick with my repeated questions. My husband and I weigh daily. If we gain a pound or two, we cut back on portion size until we get back to our desired weights. It's a lot easier to lose 2 or 3 pounds than 10 lbs. I adore Daphe and already know that she's going to be one of the smartest and best dogs I've ever had. She lives to be loved and is a people pleaser. I want her to be healthy and happy.

Do we seem like we're doing OK with our first ever Bully?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Again.......lol..... dont panick on her food as she's only 4 months old. She is getting good exercise if she's walk 1/2 mile 2x a day. That's a lot for a little fart like that. On the other hand, if she follows by all means keep going. Nyala at 6 months was doing 2-3 km per day. Now she does more. Less in the summer as I dont allow her. She also use to be free fed when I got her at 3 months old. One week she gained over 6lbs!!! Then it went back to 1-2 per week then stopped around 10 month old. Started to have weeks with no gaining. What im trying to say is every dog is different. Look at your other ones. There you go... Dont cut down on her feeding. A cup or so 2x per day is fine. Unless you're giving her alot of other snacks which can add up. I think your neighbour's dog is getting to you and all you see is a fat Daphne. You cant predict the future. If you can bottle and patented it, I'll be your partner. Lolllll j/k Just take it day by day. They grow fast in the beginning then it settles down. Is there any grains in her food as big poop usually has grains. Just a thought! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Again.......lol..... dont panick on her food as she's only 4 months old. She is getting good exercise if she's walk 1/2 mile 2x a day. That's a lot for a little fart like that. On the other hand, if she follows by all means keep going. Nyala at 6 months was doing 2-3 km per day. Now she does more. Less in the summer as I dont allow her. She also use to be free fed when I got her at 3 months old. One week she gained over 6lbs!!! Then it went back to 1-2 per week then stopped around 10 month old. Started to have weeks with no gaining. What im trying to say is every dog is different. Look at your other ones. There you go... Dont cut down on her feeding. A cup or so 2x per day is fine. Unless you're giving her alot of other snacks which can add up. I think your neighbour's dog is getting to you and all you see is a fat Daphne. You cant predict the future. If you can bottle and patented it, I'll be your partner. Lolllll j/k Just take it day by day. They grow fast in the beginning then it settles down. Is there any grains in her food as big poop usually has grains. Just a thought! :)

^^^^^ what she said! :up:

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Thank you for once again talking me down off the food ledge. I am paranoid. And yes, the neighbor bully and his weight scare me. Daphne and I were just coming back from our walk and Sammy was pulling his owner down the street. I just don't ever want to not be able to handle Daphne like that.

Daphne eats Zignature duck. It's grain free. I guess she's just a super duper big pooper. My other three dogs are stingy poopers so I'll just have to get used to Daphne's generous poops. I just had to put up a plea for plastic store bags on our neighborhood Facebook page. I have scads of poop bags I bought in bulk, but Daphne's donations are way too big for them.

Again, thanks for the continued support. I'm not generally this needy. Well, sometimes I am...

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online