Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can puppies have bacon?

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and dozer
    Likes (Received)

Default Can puppies have bacon?

Can I give my boys raw bacon or is it not a good idea? And I raise my own chickens for eggs I'm guessing those are good for them? On the weekends I always make breakfast and I would like to share with them but if it ain't good I won't thanks in advance.

2. Likes rjisaterp, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Can puppies have bacon?

My own self: I wouldn't want to give them raw bacon. A little cooked bacon wouldn't hurt. one egg each,once a week is okay. When my hub was living,that was his breakfast on the weekend,and he shared with the dogs. If I cook bacon,(rarely) I let them have the grease on their food.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

4. Likes NIZZLE, rjisaterp liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    My own self: I wouldn't want to give them raw bacon. A little cooked bacon wouldn't hurt. one egg each,once a week is okay. When my hub was living,that was his breakfast on the weekend,and he shared with the dogs. If I cook bacon,(rarely) I let them have the grease on their food.
    Thanks I was thinking it wasn't a good idea but wanted to be sure. Raw egg is OK correct?

6. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @NIZZLE My only concern is the fat content a bully receives. By gosh what @Manydogs describes is what I used to do for my bullies; however, my Jewelie Girl could not handle the fat and developed a bad case of pancreatitis and we almost lost her. I think moderation is the term used for this very scrumptious treat that is, not too often that your Tank and Dozer receive this.

Jewel is now on a low-fat diet and treats have to be less than 10% crude fat.

Please use your judgment when dishing out the treats.

8. Likes NIZZLE, Manydogs, ddnene liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rjisaterp View Post
    @NIZZLE My only concern is the fat content a bully receives. By gosh what @Manydogs describes is what I used to do for my bullies; however, my Jewelie Girl could not handle the fat and developed a bad case of pancreatitis and we almost lost her. I think moderation is the term used for this very scrumptious treat that is, not too often that your Tank and Dozer receive this.

Jewel is now on a low-fat diet and treats have to be less than 10% crude fat.

Please use your judgment when dishing out the treats.
    I will hold off on the treats until they get a bit bigger no reason for them to get used to goodies quite yet. Thanks for the input.

10. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NIZZLE View Post
    Can I give my boys raw bacon or is it not a good idea? And I raise my own chickens for eggs I'm guessing those are good for them? On the weekends I always make breakfast and I would like to share with them but if it ain't good I won't thanks in advance.
    Hi you've been given great advice from others above, I agree that eggs are okay once or twice a week, and although bacon is a protein and would normally be okay for a dog to eat, I agree that it has a high fat content and also a high salt content, so I would avoid giving them bacon. The high fat can cause pancreatitis and salt isn't good for dogs, and since your guys are still puppies, it's best just give them a good quality puppy kibble and occasional treats. Natural treats are best, like cut up apples, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, or cooked veggies like green beans, baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, I also like the Benny Bully freeze dried liver, or the fruitables natural treats, and Zekes peanut butter treats are good as well. Also you can just give a piece of their own kibble as a treat for training or rewarding. They are small, and it's their own food so they are used to it. If you decide to give any extra treats, it's best to introduce just one at a time and for about a week, that way you will know which one they may be allergic to or have a sensitivity to, and you can stop it right away, and not have to guess which one caused a reaction.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

12. Likes NIZZLE, rjisaterp liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi you've been given great advice from others above, I agree that eggs are okay once or twice a week, and although bacon is a protein and would normally be okay for a dog to eat, I agree that it has a high fat content and also a high salt content, so I would avoid giving them bacon. The high fat can cause pancreatitis and salt isn't good for dogs, and since your guys are still puppies, it's best just give them a good quality puppy kibble and occasional treats. Natural treats are best, like cut up apples, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, or cooked veggies like green beans, baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, I also like the Benny Bully freeze dried liver, or the fruitables natural treats, and Zekes peanut butter treats are good as well. Also you can just give a piece of their own kibble as a treat for training or rewarding. They are small, and it's their own food so they are used to it. If you decide to give any extra treats, it's best to introduce just one at a time and for about a week, that way you will know which one they may be allergic to or have a sensitivity to, and you can stop it right away, and not have to guess which one caused a reaction.
    Thanks for the reply last thing I want to do is hurt my boys so I'll just hold off for now.

14. Likes Vikinggirl, rjisaterp liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Fat is the main source of energy for dogs...what does cooking do to bacon to make it better for them, instead of feeding it raw? Same goes with eggs??? I feed raw food for my bullies, except for the rice they get occasianally.

16. Likes NIZZLE, rjisaterp, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

What kind of bacon? Real fresh cut or the ones you buy all wrapped up for you? That's a no no. Full of salts, preservatives, nitrites...get my drift? If its the one you get from a butch "fresh" nothing in it, that's another story.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    What kind of bacon? Real fresh cut or the ones you buy all wrapped up for you? That's a no no. Full of salts, preservatives, nitrites...get my drift? If its the one you get from a butch "fresh" nothing in it, that's another story.
    Fresh straight from my local butcher F that prepackaged crap. They slice it fresh daily.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NIZZLE View Post
    Fresh straight from my local butcher F that prepackaged crap. They slice it fresh daily.

Well you git great advice above for sure.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I give my pups little bites of bacon if we have it on the weekend. Just don't give them too much, so it doesn't cause a problem...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

21. Likes NIZZLE, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads