Can puppies have bacon?

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
Can I give my boys raw bacon or is it not a good idea? And I raise my own chickens for eggs I'm guessing those are good for them? On the weekends I always make breakfast and I would like to share with them but if it ain't good I won't thanks in advance.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My own self: I wouldn't want to give them raw bacon. A little cooked bacon wouldn't hurt. one egg each,once a week is okay. When my hub was living,that was his breakfast on the weekend,and he shared with the dogs. If I cook bacon,(rarely) I let them have the grease on their food.

OP
NIZZLE

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
My own self: I wouldn't want to give them raw bacon. A little cooked bacon wouldn't hurt. one egg each,once a week is okay. When my hub was living,that was his breakfast on the weekend,and he shared with the dogs. If I cook bacon,(rarely) I let them have the grease on their food.
Thanks I was thinking it wasn't a good idea but wanted to be sure. Raw egg is OK correct?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=16572]NIZZLE[/MENTION] My only concern is the fat content a bully receives. By gosh what [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] describes is what I used to do for my bullies; however, my Jewelie Girl could not handle the fat and developed a bad case of pancreatitis and we almost lost her. I think moderation is the term used for this very scrumptious treat that is, not too often that your Tank and Dozer receive this.

Jewel is now on a low-fat diet and treats have to be less than 10% crude fat.

Please use your judgment when dishing out the treats.

OP
NIZZLE

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
[MENTION=16572]NIZZLE[/MENTION] My only concern is the fat content a bully receives. By gosh what [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] describes is what I used to do for my bullies; however, my Jewelie Girl could not handle the fat and developed a bad case of pancreatitis and we almost lost her. I think moderation is the term used for this very scrumptious treat that is, not too often that your Tank and Dozer receive this.

Jewel is now on a low-fat diet and treats have to be less than 10% crude fat.

Please use your judgment when dishing out the treats.
I will hold off on the treats until they get a bit bigger no reason for them to get used to goodies quite yet. Thanks for the input.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Can I give my boys raw bacon or is it not a good idea? And I raise my own chickens for eggs I'm guessing those are good for them? On the weekends I always make breakfast and I would like to share with them but if it ain't good I won't thanks in advance.

Hi you've been given great advice from others above, I agree that eggs are okay once or twice a week, and although bacon is a protein and would normally be okay for a dog to eat, I agree that it has a high fat content and also a high salt content, so I would avoid giving them bacon. The high fat can cause pancreatitis and salt isn't good for dogs, and since your guys are still puppies, it's best just give them a good quality puppy kibble and occasional treats. Natural treats are best, like cut up apples, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, or cooked veggies like green beans, baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, I also like the Benny Bully freeze dried liver, or the fruitables natural treats, and Zekes peanut butter treats are good as well. Also you can just give a piece of their own kibble as a treat for training or rewarding. They are small, and it's their own food so they are used to it. If you decide to give any extra treats, it's best to introduce just one at a time and for about a week, that way you will know which one they may be allergic to or have a sensitivity to, and you can stop it right away, and not have to guess which one caused a reaction.

OP
NIZZLE

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
Hi you've been given great advice from others above, I agree that eggs are okay once or twice a week, and although bacon is a protein and would normally be okay for a dog to eat, I agree that it has a high fat content and also a high salt content, so I would avoid giving them bacon. The high fat can cause pancreatitis and salt isn't good for dogs, and since your guys are still puppies, it's best just give them a good quality puppy kibble and occasional treats. Natural treats are best, like cut up apples, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, or cooked veggies like green beans, baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, I also like the Benny Bully freeze dried liver, or the fruitables natural treats, and Zekes peanut butter treats are good as well. Also you can just give a piece of their own kibble as a treat for training or rewarding. They are small, and it's their own food so they are used to it. If you decide to give any extra treats, it's best to introduce just one at a time and for about a week, that way you will know which one they may be allergic to or have a sensitivity to, and you can stop it right away, and not have to guess which one caused a reaction.
Thanks for the reply last thing I want to do is hurt my boys so I'll just hold off for now.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Fat is the main source of energy for dogs...what does cooking do to bacon to make it better for them, instead of feeding it raw? Same goes with eggs??? I feed raw food for my bullies, except for the rice they get occasianally.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
What kind of bacon? Real fresh cut or the ones you buy all wrapped up for you? That's a no no. Full of salts, preservatives, nitrites...get my drift? If its the one you get from a butch "fresh" nothing in it, that's another story.

OP
NIZZLE

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
What kind of bacon? Real fresh cut or the ones you buy all wrapped up for you? That's a no no. Full of salts, preservatives, nitrites...get my drift? If its the one you get from a butch "fresh" nothing in it, that's another story.
Fresh straight from my local butcher F that prepackaged crap. They slice it fresh daily.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I give my pups little bites of bacon if we have it on the weekend. Just don't give them too much, so it doesn't cause a problem...

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
All the dogs I have ever had except Chunky always at sunday breakfast with us which was usually scrambled eggs and bacon. I don't remember any of them eating with us until they were past puppy food but they did. Chunky has always had a weak stomach so I don't give him any human food and the sunday breakfast stopped when my dad passed away.

OP
NIZZLE

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
All the dogs I have ever had except Chunky always at sunday breakfast with us which was usually scrambled eggs and bacon. I don't remember any of them eating with us until they were past puppy food but they did. Chunky has always had a weak stomach so I don't give him any human food and the sunday breakfast stopped when my dad passed away.

Sorry to hear about your dad. And I'm going to wait until they are past puppy before goodies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.