General Question Interdigital cyst

apennycuff

Jul 28, 2014
Hello, has anyone ever had problems with an interdigital cyst that persistently will reoccur about every other week. It will come up, pop, drain, heal, be good for about a week and repeat the whole process. It is on his left front foot. We have had it removed twice and it returned each time after which I said no more, we'll just deal with it. Typically, when it starts out, I use epsom salt and betadine soaks, dry it thoroughly then apply some exmarid ointment which is supposed to be antibacterial, condition the skin, plus it has a strong smell so I think it deters him from trying to lick on it alot. When it flares, it seems the redness under his toes also flair and I use quadritop ointment from the vet to help. I've tried different foods thinking allergies but nothing seems to impact. I assume it may be environmental so I try to keep his feet clean and use the betadine soaks. I know bulldogs are prone to interdigital cysts, but is it common for one to cycle like this one seems to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Yes probably most of the members have had to deal with this. There are so many variables it can be frustrating, but please keep at it for your puppies health and your own sanity! Most would agree it's probably due to allergies. The epsom salt and betadine are a great start. You've changed food, good. Is it a high quality grain free? Check for ingredients such as rice and chicken, many bullys are allergic to one or both of these. I agree it could be environmental and yes it does seem to cycle which seems to indicate that it was not completely eliminated. It's frustrating and heartbreaking to see your puppy suffer and hopefully you'll discover what works. In my experience, it starts, or gets worse when conditions are warm, humid, wet, etc. Also when leaves are on the ground and mold accumulates underneath the leaves, my girl, Jersey starts having interdigital cysts. I soak her paws immediately after coming in, before she walks on the carpet. Carpets can hold allergens from both you and your puppy walking inside, so shoes off at the door and paws cleaned before running around the house is probably in order. You can also search "interdigital cysts" or "interdigital furuncles" on this site and find what works and what doesn't. I hope this helps!

Hello, has anyone ever had problems with an interdigital cyst that persistently will reoccur about every other week. It will come up, pop, drain, heal, be good for about a week and repeat the whole process. It is on his left front foot. We have had it removed twice and it returned each time after which I said no more, we'll just deal with it. Typically, when it starts out, I use epsom salt and betadine soaks, dry it thoroughly then apply some exmarid ointment which is supposed to be antibacterial, condition the skin, plus it has a strong smell so I think it deters him from trying to lick on it alot. When it flares, it seems the redness under his toes also flair and I use quadritop ointment from the vet to help. I've tried different foods thinking allergies but nothing seems to impact. I assume it may be environmental so I try to keep his feet clean and use the betadine soaks. I know bulldogs are prone to interdigital cysts, but is it common for one to cycle like this one seems to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They are from allergies, as you suspect. My girl was allergic to grass so I had to clean her paws daily to ensure they stayed away. My first boy was allergic to rice so his were real bad till we identified that and removed grains from his diet.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I doubt that external treatment will solve the problem completely. It is most probably due to allergy and I think you have to figure out what causes it. Then you can change the food and find something that will improve your dogs paws. My dog started to have interdigital cysts around 3 months ago, and it was really bad, especially after beach. All paws were affected. Ointments didn't help really. But in addition we also had bunch of awful skin problems: nose rope was rotten, eye area read and inflamed, face red, bold patches on his back. At the moment we are on antibiotics and I home cook for him. Also we get high EPA and DHA fish oil with Zn (all of this components can help skin issues). Cysts are gone, and fur is growing back, nose rope is fine.
So, my advice for you would be if you have an opportunity, to try and put your dog on a limited ingredient (best raw of home cooked) diet and see if his condition improves. In my case none of commercial/medical foods worked. And it takes not that long to make food, couple of hours a week. Not a big price for better quality of life of your furball. Give him also good quality fish oil with high content of EPA and DHA, and Zinc supplement. Without these supplements their skin suffers.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Hi Natallia, Great info! My girl has had all the problems you describe. I've recently started home cooking, and am just starting to notice some improvement. I think as you suggest I'm going to add fish oil and zinc. How much (mg) and what kind or fish oil do you use and how much zinc? Also, what antibiotic is Tank taking? Thank you again!

I doubt that external treatment will solve the problem completely. It is most probably due to allergy and I think you have to figure out what causes it. Then you can change the food and find something that will improve your dogs paws. My dog started to have interdigital cysts around 3 months ago, and it was really bad, especially after beach. All paws were affected. Ointments didn't help really. But in addition we also had bunch of awful skin problems: nose rope was rotten, eye area read and inflamed, face red, bold patches on his back. At the moment we are on antibiotics and I home cook for him. Also we get high EPA and DHA fish oil with Zn (all of this components can help skin issues). Cysts are gone, and fur is growing back, nose rope is fine.
So, my advice for you would be if you have an opportunity, to try and put your dog on a limited ingredient (best raw of home cooked) diet and see if his condition improves. In my case none of commercial/medical foods worked. And it takes not that long to make food, couple of hours a week. Not a big price for better quality of life of your furball. Give him also good quality fish oil with high content of EPA and DHA, and Zinc supplement. Without these supplements their skin suffers.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hi Susan, very happy that your precious furball getting better, I use made in South Africa supplement Efazol plus, it is a special nutritional aid for the management of Omega3 responsive skin conditions ( and a LOT of skin conditions in dogs are because of lack of Omega3 in food). Efazol Plus contains high amount of essential fatty acids EPA and DHA in proportion Omega6:Omega3 = 1.5:1.0 ratio and Zinc. I don't know if it is available in the USA, but I am sure that something of that sort should be available. Also I give him 20 ml of simple fish oil in his food.
In 1 ml of Efazol there is 75 mg of EPA and 50 mg of DHA, and 10 mg of Zinc. Dosage is 8 ml a day. for my 21 kg dog.
So, that means around 600 mg of EPA and 400 mg of DHA and 80 mg of Zinc per day is a dose of active ingredients.
So, if you find something similar to Efazol in the USA, you can compare with these amounts!
Hope that your baby will get well soon!

Mmaker

Feb 21, 2016
New Mexico
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie
We had the same problem. Took us a year and finally found a diet that works for her. The skin issues and cysts cleared up in about 10 days and have been clear for weeks.

OP
apennycuff

apennycuff

Jul 28, 2014
We had the same problem. Took us a year and finally found a diet that works for her. The skin issues and cysts cleared up in about 10 days and have been clear for weeks.

What diet did you put her on? I have tried multiple with no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What diet did you put her on? I have tried multiple with no luck.

Apennycuff... what are you currently feeding

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
TOTW bison

Have you tried a different protein and is it grain free?

OP
apennycuff

apennycuff

Jul 28, 2014
Have you tried a different protein and is it grain free?

It is grain free. I have had him on this for a month. I know he does not do well with chicken or salmon. His skin did okay with rabbit but his bowel movements were bad. He tolerates pork okay but still had cysts and red feet on and off. Wondering if his allergies are environmental more than food.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It is grain free. I have had him on this for a month. I know he does not do well with chicken or salmon. His skin did okay with rabbit but his bowel movements were bad. He tolerates pork okay but still had cysts and red feet on and off. Wondering if his allergies are environmental more than food.

Yep... most likely environmental. Wipe paws whenever you come in from outside and use epsom salt soaks to help dry up the cyst

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.