Help Needed! Best food for bulldog needing to lose weight

apennycuff

Jul 28, 2014
Hello, my bulldog is Mac and he is 4 1/2 years old and weighs in at a grand 86 pounds. I was feeding him Acana pork and peas but with the weight, the vet wanted to try him on something with less calories. He was getting 1 cup of the Acana twice daily along with fruits and vegetables.. mostly watermelon as treats. Now the vet has put him on Royal Canine vegetarian hoping that it will help him lose the weight and will also help with his allergies. We have been battling with red feet on and off. I'm a little concerned with the Royal Canine not being grain free but the vet does not believe the grains are what is bothering him... he thinks it is environmental allergies. He has been on it 1 month so far. Seems to be tolerating okay as far as bowl movements go but it seems as though the redness with feet might be a little worse. Was wondering if anyone has suggestions on a good "diet" dog food for bulldogs. I exercise him as much as I can get him to, but if he doesn't
e6507b30a5aa06cc055c5fa2baeca1de.jpg
want to go for a walk, there is no making him. They can definitely be stubborn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome to EBN, Mac is a very handsome boy but definitely obese.
Once a good bit of weight comes off, he might even enjoy walking!
RC is not a good food and grains not good either and most likely, as
time goes on, will cause even more issues. The former food with peas
has a lot of sugar as does watermelon & many fruits as well. Does Mac
tolerate fish or bison or venison? Those are all lean meats, I have my
girl on TOTW's Bison & Venison, she gains weight very easily & refuses
to walk as well. Got her down from 68 lbs to 52 lbs by giving her 1 cup
(measure this, not a heaping but level cup) of kibble and 1/2 cup warm
green beans (unsalted) every am & pm. No treats until weight comes off!
Midday, give 1/2 cup warmed green beans since he's used to more food.
If he really is hungry you can increase to 1 cup each meal but once he
loses 20 lbs, cut back to 1/2 cup. That weight is dangerous for him, it will
be harder to get it off him as he ages, I commend you for recognizing this
issue & determining to help him...good job!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Raw food, imo is the best. Carbohydrates are not necessary for dogs and RC is packed. Dogs do better with fat in their diet that carbs. Only very active working dogs really benefit from carbs. There is quite a big variety of pre-made raw patties that you could give a try. Unfortunately most vets have very little knowledge about feeding, other than the big dog food companies have told them.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Welcome and [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] has given you great suggestions. Also vets gets commission on RC. Never feed you beautiful baby that horrible useless food. (Im behaving with my words lol) Acana has a great fish one. Wouldn't be too much of a transition as same company and great product. But please whatever you do, dont give him RC. You will see other members telling you very soon the same thing. I had a pow wow when my vet's warden secretary trying to get Nyala on that junk. Told her to read the first few ingredients so all came out of her mouth was grains. I told her Nyala was not a cow. She never bothered me since then. So now i home cook. Yes, Home cooking, raw or honest kitchen will eliminate all his problems. A bit more expensive but to have a healthy bully means its worth adding a few more pesos a month.

OP
apennycuff

apennycuff

Jul 28, 2014
Welcome to EBN, Mac is a very handsome boy but definitely obese.
Once a good bit of weight comes off, he might even enjoy walking!
RC is not a good food and grains not good either and most likely, as
time goes on, will cause even more issues. The former food with peas
has a lot of sugar as does watermelon & many fruits as well. Does Mac
tolerate fish or bison or venison? Those are all lean meats, I have my
girl on TOTW's Bison & Venison, she gains weight very easily & refuses
to walk as well. Got her down from 68 lbs to 52 lbs by giving her 1 cup
(measure this, not a heaping but level cup) of kibble and 1/2 cup warm
green beans (unsalted) every am & pm. No treats until weight comes off!
Midday, give 1/2 cup warmed green beans since he's used to more food.
If he really is hungry you can increase to 1 cup each meal but once he
loses 20 lbs, cut back to 1/2 cup. That weight is dangerous for him, it will
be harder to get it off him as he ages, I commend you for recognizing this
issue & determining to help him...good job!

Thanks so much for the guidance. You confirmed my concerns about the Royal Canine. I am going to try him on the TOTW bison and vension. I don't know enough right now without researching more thoroughly how to do the home cooked meals. He loves green beans but I had stopped them because it seemed like they made his face red... can they be allergic to green beans??? Not sure if it was them or the change in the Acana formula that I have read about... seemed he started having more skin issues at that time.. Anyway, will give green beans and TOTW a try. It is soo hard with him cause he begs so pitifully for food :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes, Honey, I know and understand well, those faces look so sad but you've got to remain firm.
He's too young to be so overweight and he has to be miserable, both of you will be much happier
after he loses 20 lbs. Take it one day at a time and for me, it was easier breaking it down in 5 lb
increments as goal, very attainable & gratifying then on to the next 5 lbs to lose. It takes nothing
(it seems) to put weight on Cami, it is hard resisting her begging, a bite or two seems so harmless
but it isn't! Now Cami tries but a firm NO stops her, just have to learn to put your foot down and you
can, they are like toddlers, it's our job to protect them. I can picture you & Mac taking short walks
together & having such fun, I'm looking forward to your joy & pride at what the two of you accomplish!
I'm on a fixed income so have to feed the best food for the best price, have had two bullies and both
had no issues with TOTW, it's the High Prairie, Grain Free Formula. If I had the $$$ I'd feed raw (I also
have health issues that make raw a difficult choice) but raw solves many issues that bullies struggle with.
Stay strong, focus on your goals and know when you resist his begging, you are giving him the gift of
health & longer life as well as feeling so much better. Being here will help you tremendously, the support
is invaluable. Glad to have you join this wonderful group!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
When Monty had to lose weight I cut his food down to 3/4 of a cup twice a day. I have kept him on that as he does not like walks at all and would gain again if I wasn't careful. I also give him a handful of green beans. I don't cook them , he gets them frozen as he has to chew them a bit instead of just inhaling them. I feed him Zignature Duck or Salmon after Acana changed and so far, so good. It has no grains, chicken, potato, soy or dairy. They have Kangeroo, Venison and other formula's too in case TOTW doesn't work out for you and you need to try something else. Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome... what a great looking boy, but ye, he needs to lose those pounds.

Great advice given by the gang... get off the RC and try the TOTW with green beans. Also, try cutting down the kibble to 3/4 cup and add 1/4 green beans... I did this with my girl when she was near 75lbs and we got her down to 60 in about 6 months. (if I remember correctly)

best of luck and please keep us posted and ask away on any question you have --- we are here to help

OP
apennycuff

apennycuff

Jul 28, 2014
Thanks for the advice. I am transitioning him over now and if that goes well will try the reduction to 3/4 cup with added 1/4 of green beans. Did your girl exercise much to help with weight loss?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the advice. I am transitioning him over now and if that goes well will try the reduction to 3/4 cup with added 1/4 of green beans. Did your girl exercise much to help with weight loss?

Yes but she was a higher energy bulldog. We actually took her to daycare two days a week and she ruled the 'little' area. :D We also walked her everyday for about 15 mins.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas was only a few years old and he was 69 pounds. His doctor called him phat and suggested we cut his kibble intake in 1/2 and supplement it with is now know as the Vegas Stew diet. Check out the link. He lost 20 pounds.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online