Need help choosing a new food for Chunky

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was just getting ready to ask what other food I should try. I switched flavors and he is still showing signs of being allergic to something probably potatoes since thats what @TyTysmom mentioned and its costing me $200 per month to feed him. He has tear stains and pink paws even with me wiping his wrinkles daily with malecetic wipes.

The food I was feeding him when all the problems started is lower in cystine and phosphorus than THK but higher in protein. Cystine and Phosphorus are two of the things mentioned to not give dogs that get Cystine Stones.

UGH! What if you tried a senior dog food... they usually are lower in protein?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
You are feeding him THK that includes protein right? I would try the base mix (Kindly) it has no potatoes at all. And I would get lean ground beef as his protein. Has he done well on beef in the past?

I was just getting ready to ask what other food I should try. I switched flavors and he is still showing signs of being allergic to something probably potatoes since thats what @TyTysmom mentioned and its costing me $200 per month to feed him. He has tear stains and pink paws even with me wiping his wrinkles daily with malecetic wipes.

The food I was feeding him when all the problems started is lower in cystine and phosphorus than THK but higher in protein. Cystine and Phosphorus are two of the things mentioned to not give dogs that get Cystine Stones.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
You are feeding him THK that includes protein right? I would try the base mix (Kindly) it has no potatoes at all. And I would get lean ground beef as his protein. Has he done well on beef in the past?

Yes THK with protein. He was first on Turkey and Parsnip and now grain free Beef

He hasnt had allergy issues "tear stains and red paws" with any other food. Some upset his stomach but none with redness. I am not 100% sure it is a problem with potatoes and was just guessing since you said Tyson has issues with it. I don't want to try cooking the meat and mixing it in because I am not sure how much protein, phosphorus or cystine he would actually be eating and think it would be easier to feed him food that has a chart that should be close to what he would be getting.

Chunky is the first dog I have ever owned who had issues with food other than just refusing to eat. He eats anything he is given. My other bulldog ate as much human food leftovers as she did dog food and never had issues. Her favorite was pizza and sunday breakfast of eggs and bacon.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
UGH! What if you tried a senior dog food... they usually are lower in protein?

The protein isn't what I am trying to avoid as much as cystine and phosphorus. Other than tear stains and redness in his paws he has done well with THK

I thought about adding ACV again since it helped his bowels before. I cut out all extras when he started having issues and all he has been getting is food now

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
How frustrating I remember being there with Tyson and trying nearly every kibble on the shelf, then we tired raw, then finally ended up with THK. While we never had any issues with cystine, it was all just allergy related. Does the Beef one have potato in it too?

When Tyson had the staining and brown paws, we switched him over to filtered water and it all cleared up. I'm just at a loss, I was really praying that THK would be the one, and its such a good quality, all natural food closest to home cooking. :(

Yes THK with protein. He was first on Turkey and Parsnip and now grain free Beef

He hasnt had allergy issues "tear stains and red paws" with any other food. Some upset his stomach but none with redness. I am not 100% sure it is a problem with potatoes and was just guessing since you said Tyson has issues with it. I don't want to try cooking the meat and mixing it in because I am not sure how much protein, phosphorus or cystine he would actually be eating and think it would be easier to feed him food that has a chart that should be close to what he would be getting.

Chunky is the first dog I have ever owned who had issues with food other than just refusing to eat. He eats anything he is given. My other bulldog ate as much human food leftovers as she did dog food and never had issues. Her favorite was pizza and sunday breakfast of eggs and bacon.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Ingredients in THK grain free Beef

All ingredients dehydrated: Beef, sweet potatoes, potatoes, organic flaxseed, organic coconut, parsley, chard, papaya, cranberries, pumpkin, honey, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, thiamine mononitrate.

I wonder sometimes if being over cautious and giving our dogs higher end foods isn't whats wrong with them. Kind of like the Dr a few weeks back telling my niece to allow her kids to go outside and play more that they needed a way to build up their immunity. Her oldest daughter had some health issues when she was young and my niece became over protective of her daughters. Her boy lives outside playing sports and is never sick

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Paws crossed this works for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, i hope it works for him too. He ate some around 6 mixed in with THK so I will hopefully know soon how he does with it. I still have a weeks worth of THK to mix in

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
So, I am kind of having some food issues with mine as well. They were eating TOTW pine forest, then both of them
Starting chewing paws and popped hot spots on their faces.
So, I've tried 2 Zignature recipes (salmon and Kangaroo) they did ok with the Kangaroo, but Lockjaw now scratches his face and penny's face was a bit pinker than it used to be.
I then found 2 other foods. Canine Caviar and Natures Logic. Both very highly rated foods, but all in the same price range.

While reading through this I think you should look at Canine Caviar. It's a limited ingredient, low protein food that focuses on keeping your pets "alkaline and ph levels balanced". It also doesn't have any chicken, peas or potatoes (which are more prone to allergies and to cause tear staining). Penny had tear stains until I eliminated chicken and potatoes from what she was eating.

I accidentally bought the lamb recipe. (TOTW was venison and lamb)Which was making them both itchy- so that's how I ended up with Natures Logic.

NL is higher protein and Lockjaw is still itchy and Penny is still pink. [emoji85]But, they've also only been on it about 2 weeks. I think next I'm going to get another bag of the Canine Caviar and try a new protein.

I also get most of their food from chewy.com. Each time I needed to switch their food, I was refunded for the last bag. So that way your not spending hundreds of dollars trying to find a food that works.

I hope you find something for him that works!

http://www.caninecaviar.com

Check out their site- it explains the ph and alkaline stuff better than me. [emoji6]

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
So, I am kind of having some food issues with mine as well. They were eating TOTW pine forest, then both of them
Starting chewing paws and popped hot spots on their faces.
So, I've tried 2 Zignature recipes (salmon and Kangaroo) they did ok with the Kangaroo, but Lockjaw now scratches his face and penny's face was a bit pinker than it used to be.
I then found 2 other foods. Canine Caviar and Natures Logic. Both very highly rated foods, but all in the same price range.

While reading through this I think you should look at Canine Caviar. It's a limited ingredient, low protein food that focuses on keeping your pets "alkaline and ph levels balanced". It also doesn't have any chicken, peas or potatoes (which are more prone to allergies and to cause tear staining). Penny had tear stains until I eliminated chicken and potatoes from what she was eating.

I accidentally bought the lamb recipe. (TOTW was venison and lamb)Which was making them both itchy- so that's how I ended up with Natures Logic.

NL is higher protein and Lockjaw is still itchy and Penny is still pink. [emoji85]But, they've also only been on it about 2 weeks. I think next I'm going to get another bag of the Canine Caviar and try a new protein.

I also get most of their food from chewy.com. Each time I needed to switch their food, I was refunded for the last bag. So that way your not spending hundreds of dollars trying to find a food that works.

I hope you find something for him that works!

Canine Caviar Pet Foods Inc. - The First And Only Alkaline Dog Food

Check out their site- it explains the ph and alkaline stuff better than me. [emoji6]

Thanks Corine, I will look into that if he continues to have issues. The guy at the pet food store tried getting me to get ProPac food and its another low protein food but what they had in stock had potato in it and [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] says potato was a problem for Tyson so I thought that could be true for Chunky also. The Acana I bought doesnt have potato, grains or chicken. I am not sure Chunky has had lamb before. He might of had Fromm Lamb and Lentil at one point when I was switching flavors of Fromm. He shed a lot while eating fromm so I took him off of it

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks Corine, I will look into that if he continues to have issues. The guy at the pet food store tried getting me to get ProPac food and its another low protein food but what they had in stock had potato in it and [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] says potato was a problem for Tyson so I thought that could be true for Chunky also. The Acana I bought doesnt have potato, grains or chicken. I am not sure Chunky has had lamb before. He might of had Fromm Lamb and Lentil at one point when I was switching flavors of Fromm. He shed a lot while eating fromm so I took him off of it

Yep potatoes seem to be a trigger for a lot of bullies, Tyson's face would flare up on both reg potatoes and sweet potatoes. I hope Chunky does great on the Acana.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.