Need help choosing a new food for Chunky

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I went with Turkey and Parsnip which is grain free. I mixed 3/4 a cup of THK and 3/4 warm water and let it sit for 3 minutes like the instructions said. I didn't give him a whole meals worth and probably added too much water since it was really runny but he needs to drink more water anyway.

Do you mix it and let it set all day or prep it and have it ready for water at the next meal? I used a glass pyrex measuring cup also

I mix it ... I literally just put in the honest kitchen then the water put a lid on it and stick it in the fridge until his next meal. That way it's ready to go for next meal. we ended up doing it this way because of time and because of consistency it's totally fine for it to sit in the fridge overnight, premixed :)

When I take it out for his meal I add the meat and then pop it in the microwave for a minute so it gets warm! If for any reason the one with the protein added in it doesn't work then you can always try the base mix like we do and add your own protein. Hoping it's a winner and he does amazing on it!

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any other questions but pre-making it at each meal will definitely save you on time! So go make his breakfast portion now and leave it in the fridge till morning [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I mix it ... I literally just put in the honest kitchen then the water put a lid on it and stick it in the fridge until his next meal. That way it's ready to go for next meal. we ended up doing it this way because of time and because of consistency it's totally fine for it to sit in the fridge overnight, premixed :)

When I take it out for his meal I add the meat and then pop it in the microwave for a minute so it gets warm! If for any reason the one with the protein added in it doesn't work then you can always try the base mix like we do and add your own protein. Hoping it's a winner and he does amazing on it!

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any other questions but pre-making it at each meal will definitely save you on time! So go make his breakfast portion now and leave it in the fridge till morning [emoji3]

As soon as I get him on just THK I will do that as see how he likes it. I chose the Turkey and Parsnip because it was grain free and not chicken and the guy at the store though the fish or beef would have too much protein.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have always added the ACV to his food since he doesn't drink from his water bowl much. I havent been giving him ACV since he started having issues because I was trying to eliminate anything that could possibly be an issue and wasn't sure what all the amino acids were in ACV. Cystine is an amino acid

Top HK with broth! I guarantee he'll have his water intake of the day. There's tons of good minerals, vitamins in a broth. Boil a small turkey once a month and top it with water. Add your carrots, celery and add some herbs like thyme, rosemary, basil and mint. All anti-inflammatories. Freeze the broth in little ziploc bags and take what you need for 5 days to top each meals. Freeze your turkey in cubes and if one day you're short of HK you got your turkey to save the day. Voilà! Bon appetite! :chef:

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky is doing great on Honest Kitchen and I believe i could of just switched him straight to it like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Chunky is doing great on Honest Kitchen and I believe i could of just switched him straight to it like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said.

Best news ever! Hoping all continues [emoji51][emoji3][emoji1][emoji16][emoji3][emoji1][emoji51][emoji3][emoji1][emoji51]

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Here's how I prep for next day.

https://vimeo.com/193969933

Thanks Jessica and TY,

I will start doing that sunday night once I am only giving him HK. I still have a little Acana left and I don't think whats left is going to do any harm to Chunky.

I might make a days worth and split it in the morning and see how that goes so I can work on the water to food ratio. I am getting better at making it less runny and think if I was splitting a days worth it would be easier. I would ask how much you're making but I remember Tyson is eating the basic and you're adding the protein.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks Jessica and TY,

I will start doing that sunday night once I am only giving him HK. I still have a little Acana left and I don't think whats left is going to do any harm to Chunky.

I might make a days worth and split it in the morning and see how that goes so I can work on the water to food ratio. I am getting better at making it less runny and think if I was splitting a days worth it would be easier. I would ask how much you're making but I remember Tyson is eating the basic and you're adding the protein.

Yeah he's on one of the bases but I do 1/2 cup of the honest kitchen and then 1 & 1/2 cups of water. It's still going to be mushy but not watery! If you don't already have some I'd start picking up some baby wipes because I have to clean off Tysons mouth when he's done eating, lol

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I have been giving him 3/4 of a cup of both HK and water and its still seems runny. I might not be letting it set up long enough but I am doing the 3 minutes like the instructions say. Its still soup like

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
This has been real interesting. So how is he today??

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
just an fyi..... Amazon has this food for 78$ right now.... I'm thinking I should give it a shot as it's usually close to 100....

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
This has been real interesting. So how is he today??

just an fyi..... Amazon has this food for 78$ right now.... I'm thinking I should give it a shot as it's usually close to 100....

Chunky is doing better and he really likes THK food. He might have an allergy to something that is in this flavor though because his face gets a little red after eating it but it seems the more he eats it the less its showing up.

Thanks for letting me know about the price on amazon since I paid over 100 for it

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Chunky is doing better and he really likes THK food. He might have an allergy to something that is in this flavor though because his face gets a little red after eating it but it seems the more he eats it the less its showing up.

Thanks for letting me know about the price on amazon since I paid over 100 for it

even my my favorite ordering place was into the 100's so having "prime" I thought i'd check it out... I even got one day ship for free so it was actually 73$ + tax and here today !!! Hank loved his snack of it so will eventually be his morning meal, and Acana and or Orijen for eve. I also get Orijen freeze dried so all in all, he's doing great.. Hope it works for us /them both :)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Checking for an update ?? Doing ok with the THK? All good here.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Checking for an update ?? Doing ok with the THK? All good here.

I was just getting ready to ask what other food I should try. I switched flavors and he is still showing signs of being allergic to something probably potatoes since thats what [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] mentioned and its costing me $200 per month to feed him. He has tear stains and pink paws even with me wiping his wrinkles daily with malecetic wipes.

The food I was feeding him when all the problems started is lower in cystine and phosphorus than THK but higher in protein. Cystine and Phosphorus are two of the things mentioned to not give dogs that get Cystine Stones.

Most Reactions