Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 49 to 57 of 57

Thread: Need help choosing a new food for Chunky

  1. #49
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,952
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    2881

    Default Re: Need help choosing a new food for Chunky

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    UGH! What if you tried a senior dog food... they usually are lower in protein?
    The protein isn't what I am trying to avoid as much as cystine and phosphorus. Other than tear stains and redness in his paws he has done well with THK

    I thought about adding ACV again since it helped his bowels before. I cut out all extras when he started having issues and all he has been getting is food now

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  3. #50
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,475
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6237

    Default Re: Need help choosing a new food for Chunky

    How frustrating I remember being there with Tyson and trying nearly every kibble on the shelf, then we tired raw, then finally ended up with THK. While we never had any issues with cystine, it was all just allergy related. Does the Beef one have potato in it too?

    When Tyson had the staining and brown paws, we switched him over to filtered water and it all cleared up. I'm just at a loss, I was really praying that THK would be the one, and its such a good quality, all natural food closest to home cooking.





    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    Yes THK with protein. He was first on Turkey and Parsnip and now grain free Beef

    He hasnt had allergy issues "tear stains and red paws" with any other food. Some upset his stomach but none with redness. I am not 100% sure it is a problem with potatoes and was just guessing since you said Tyson has issues with it. I don't want to try cooking the meat and mixing it in because I am not sure how much protein, phosphorus or cystine he would actually be eating and think it would be easier to feed him food that has a chart that should be close to what he would be getting.

    Chunky is the first dog I have ever owned who had issues with food other than just refusing to eat. He eats anything he is given. My other bulldog ate as much human food leftovers as she did dog food and never had issues. Her favorite was pizza and sunday breakfast of eggs and bacon.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  4. #51
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,952
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    2881

    Default Re: Need help choosing a new food for Chunky

    Ingredients in THK grain free Beef

    All ingredients dehydrated: Beef, sweet potatoes, potatoes, organic flaxseed, organic coconut, parsley, chard, papaya, cranberries, pumpkin, honey, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, thiamine mononitrate.

    I wonder sometimes if being over cautious and giving our dogs higher end foods isn't whats wrong with them. Kind of like the Dr a few weeks back telling my niece to allow her kids to go outside and play more that they needed a way to build up their immunity. Her oldest daughter had some health issues when she was young and my niece became over protective of her daughters. Her boy lives outside playing sports and is never sick

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  5. Likes Hankster liked this post
  6. #52
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,952
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    2881

    Default Re: Need help choosing a new food for Chunky

    I am switching him to Acana Lamb and Apple. It has 1% more protein THK but less cystine and Phosphorus. It also doesn't have potato in it

    https://acana.com/our-foods/singles/...pple/?lang=usa

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  8. #53
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    42,393
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    13691

    Default Re: Need help choosing a new food for Chunky

    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    I am switching him to Acana Lamb and Apple. It has 1% more protein THK but less cystine and Phosphorus. It also doesn't have potato in it

    https://acana.com/our-foods/singles/...pple/?lang=usa
    Paws crossed this works for him


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. Likes Chunky White liked this post
  10. #54
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,952
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    2881

    Default Re: Need help choosing a new food for Chunky

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Paws crossed this works for him


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, i hope it works for him too. He ate some around 6 mixed in with THK so I will hopefully know soon how he does with it. I still have a weeks worth of THK to mix in

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  12. #55
    Bulldog Vet in Training Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,148
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)
    1761

    Default Need help choosing a new food for Chunky

    So, I am kind of having some food issues with mine as well. They were eating TOTW pine forest, then both of them
    Starting chewing paws and popped hot spots on their faces.
    So, I've tried 2 Zignature recipes (salmon and Kangaroo) they did ok with the Kangaroo, but Lockjaw now scratches his face and penny's face was a bit pinker than it used to be.
    I then found 2 other foods. Canine Caviar and Natures Logic. Both very highly rated foods, but all in the same price range.

    While reading through this I think you should look at Canine Caviar. It's a limited ingredient, low protein food that focuses on keeping your pets "alkaline and ph levels balanced". It also doesn't have any chicken, peas or potatoes (which are more prone to allergies and to cause tear staining). Penny had tear stains until I eliminated chicken and potatoes from what she was eating.

    I accidentally bought the lamb recipe. (TOTW was venison and lamb)Which was making them both itchy- so that's how I ended up with Natures Logic.

    NL is higher protein and Lockjaw is still itchy and Penny is still pink. But, they've also only been on it about 2 weeks. I think next I'm going to get another bag of the Canine Caviar and try a new protein.

    I also get most of their food from chewy.com. Each time I needed to switch their food, I was refunded for the last bag. So that way your not spending hundreds of dollars trying to find a food that works.

    I hope you find something for him that works!

    http://www.caninecaviar.com

    Check out their site- it explains the ph and alkaline stuff better than me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

    Mommy of Lockjaw and Penny


  13. Likes Chunky White liked this post
  14. #56
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,952
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    2881

    Default Re: Need help choosing a new food for Chunky

    Quote Originally Posted by Corine Pesantes View Post
    So, I am kind of having some food issues with mine as well. They were eating TOTW pine forest, then both of them
    Starting chewing paws and popped hot spots on their faces.
    So, I've tried 2 Zignature recipes (salmon and Kangaroo) they did ok with the Kangaroo, but Lockjaw now scratches his face and penny's face was a bit pinker than it used to be.
    I then found 2 other foods. Canine Caviar and Natures Logic. Both very highly rated foods, but all in the same price range.

    While reading through this I think you should look at Canine Caviar. It's a limited ingredient, low protein food that focuses on keeping your pets "alkaline and ph levels balanced". It also doesn't have any chicken, peas or potatoes (which are more prone to allergies and to cause tear staining). Penny had tear stains until I eliminated chicken and potatoes from what she was eating.

    I accidentally bought the lamb recipe. (TOTW was venison and lamb)Which was making them both itchy- so that's how I ended up with Natures Logic.

    NL is higher protein and Lockjaw is still itchy and Penny is still pink. But, they've also only been on it about 2 weeks. I think next I'm going to get another bag of the Canine Caviar and try a new protein.

    I also get most of their food from chewy.com. Each time I needed to switch their food, I was refunded for the last bag. So that way your not spending hundreds of dollars trying to find a food that works.

    I hope you find something for him that works!

    Canine Caviar Pet Foods Inc. - The First And Only Alkaline Dog Food

    Check out their site- it explains the ph and alkaline stuff better than me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Thanks Corine, I will look into that if he continues to have issues. The guy at the pet food store tried getting me to get ProPac food and its another low protein food but what they had in stock had potato in it and @TyTysmom says potato was a problem for Tyson so I thought that could be true for Chunky also. The Acana I bought doesnt have potato, grains or chicken. I am not sure Chunky has had lamb before. He might of had Fromm Lamb and Lentil at one point when I was switching flavors of Fromm. He shed a lot while eating fromm so I took him off of it

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  15. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
  16. #57
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,475
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6237

    Default Re: Need help choosing a new food for Chunky

    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    Thanks Corine, I will look into that if he continues to have issues. The guy at the pet food store tried getting me to get ProPac food and its another low protein food but what they had in stock had potato in it and @TyTysmom says potato was a problem for Tyson so I thought that could be true for Chunky also. The Acana I bought doesnt have potato, grains or chicken. I am not sure Chunky has had lamb before. He might of had Fromm Lamb and Lentil at one point when I was switching flavors of Fromm. He shed a lot while eating fromm so I took him off of it
    Yep potatoes seem to be a trigger for a lot of bullies, Tyson's face would flare up on both reg potatoes and sweet potatoes. I hope Chunky does great on the Acana.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  17. Likes Chunky White, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •