General Question Puppy weighs too much?

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
Hi,

Pablo is 14 weeks tomorrow. He's averaging 2lbs/wk. He weighs 22 lbs currently.
He eats 2 cups a day, recommended on package is 3+. He has a baby kong a day sometimes w pb.

Should he not be eating as much? He eats so fast and seems hungry still...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
How many times a day are you feeding him? What kind of food? The weight doesn't sound too heavy. If I remember correctly I fed 1 cup of food 3 times a day at that age.

If you are feeding a good quality diet use the consistency of poop to determine if you are feeding too much. Sometimes it is also helpful to space out meals. You can also try coconut oil in the food. It helps with the coat and my dog loves it. Green beans are also a low calorie snack. Mine likes them frozen.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
They have bowls and and balls to slow down eating. You can also use a muffin tin.

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
The speed doesn't concern me, he doesn't choke or anything. He just loves it lol. Twice a day at 1 cup each. Little drizzle of olive oil with dinner meal.

I think the diet is quality. I want to switch to fromm based on what I've read but we have a 30lb royal canin English bulldog puppy bag we just bought so... he gets that for now.

2 cup seems too little to me, hence the concern. He's growing like a weed. I think 3 cups would be more filling but his poop is solid, not so solid when he has treats or Bully sticks lol

1cf891298b71006433668aae66c5eaff.jpg
recently

Few weeks ago
622a42b477ff77143444a6b75f227511.jpg

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Aww so cute. I would up to 1 cup 3 times a day. I used to have to feed mine before I went to bed or he would barf from an empty stomach in the morning.

Fromm didn't work out for me. I recently switched to Acana limited ingredient duck. Mine has food allergies and was itching like crazy. He seems to be doing better on it. Most of the better foods offer a guarantee so it's easy to return if it doesn't work out.

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
Well that's good to know! So one cup morning, evening, night you think?

...my thought is he's a puppy, he's just a big boy. He should eat what he likes. He does plenty of walking.

He's not allergic to anything yet, knock on wood, and he's not picky about food lol he loves it all.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Well that's good to know! So one cup morning, evening, night you think?

...my thought is he's a puppy, he's just a big boy. He should eat what he likes. He does plenty of walking.

He's not allergic to anything yet, knock on wood, and he's not picky about food lol he loves it all.

I didn't worry about weight until he was a year. As long as its good food and the poops are good he is a growing boy and should get enough to sustain growth. Morning evening and night sound fine.

Or instead of the third meal you can set the cup aside and use it as training treats throughout the day.

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
I do do a bit of training and use his food for that also. He's very food motivated, as I'm sure a lot are. It's how he learned to skateboard :x

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
RC isnt a good dog food. You wont find a lot of members agreeing you giving RC. Probably why he always seems hungry. Orijen, Acana (the Canadian one), Fromm are great dog food. I, personally, would rather lose 30lb RC food and give my a kibble thats healthy. But that's me.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

You can also top a good kibble with organs, ginger and turmeric or coconut oil.
Your little Picasso is adorable! Drizzle a bit of EVO is good too. Dont worry about the weight he's fine!

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
You think the rc is bad enough to just toss that much away? ...I bought into the reviews and fancy descriptions about the great stuff it gives to eb puppies... before finding this site.

We have Purina pro plan puppy also... but stopped because it was lamb and read many eb are allergic.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=16520]Thed163[/MENTION] I have 2 bulldogs one is 8 mos and the other is 14 mos. I feed them 3 cups of kibble a day, at first it was 1c in the morning, 1 at lunch and 1 at dinner time. I just recently changed it to twice a day, they still get 3 cups total. I kept them on the same food they were eating before they came to live with me, and they have never shown any signs of allergies. I also alternate between pb and coconut oil, which I give as a treat during the day. Coconut oil being a healthier snack with lots of benefits. I use it both orally and topically on them.
I am now in the process of switching them over to adult food, with lamb. And so far so good I don't see them having any allergic reaction to the lamb. They love it and their poops are solid. I'm only switching them bc of their age. I feel if your pups isn't showing any signs of allergies and is pooping and eating good, why change his food????
If you still plan on switching his food make sure to save some of the RC to mix in with the new food, as the transition has to be done gradually, over 7-10 days. Hope this helps! Pablo is a doll! And he looks great!

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
I plan to switch just based on what seems to be good for the majority. I just want him to get the best food now while growing so his joints and health over all is best it could be. That was the goal with the rc.

Coconut oil as a treat I never thought of. I'll consider that, as pb he loves but I think it's basically another meal.

Thank you! And he says thanks for the compliment

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The speed doesn't concern me, he doesn't choke or anything. He just loves it lol. Twice a day at 1 cup each. Little drizzle of olive oil with dinner meal.

I think the diet is quality. I want to switch to fromm based on what I've read but we have a 30lb royal canin English bulldog puppy bag we just bought so... he gets that for now.

2 cup seems too little to me, hence the concern. He's growing like a weed. I think 3 cups would be more filling but his poop is solid, not so solid when he has treats or Bully sticks lol

1cf891298b71006433668aae66c5eaff.jpg
recently

Few weeks ago
622a42b477ff77143444a6b75f227511.jpg

What an adorable little man!

He should be getting more than that.... since RC is not a high quality food, he is getting hungry quicker... give 3 cups 3x a day and then plan to switch as you stated when the bag is almost gone. Do a slow switch of about 7-8 days and once on Fromm or Acana here is a good guide for feeding

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
He's adorable! I agree increase his food to 1 cup 3xs per day. If that's too much decrease gradually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You think the rc is bad enough to just toss that much away? ...I bought into the reviews and fancy descriptions about the great stuff it gives to eb puppies... before finding this site.

We have Purina pro plan puppy also... but stopped because it was lamb and read many eb are allergic.

If you read the first 5 ingredients on the RC bag you will a lot of grains. Im sure cows would love RC lol.. ok sorry but that was funny.....
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said it right. Not best of brand. Check out the site I posted "dog advisor" bookmark it and subscribe to it as it sends you recalls.This site wwill help you a lot. And so will we.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.