Deweyme

Jun 25, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunial
Long story short. Back in August 2 year old Petunia was vomiting one evening (6 times) white foam and lethargic. We took her to the vet and she was hospitalized with suspected heat issues --it was ridiculously hot here. I only mention this because that seems to be when this has magnified (we have seen the symptoms--except vomiting-- i mention later to a much less degree for quite a while) . She got the fluids, meds and treatment she needed and was her old self again...except for eating. She wouldn't eat for several days and then just wasn't eating like she used to. We didn't worry too much as the vet assured us this was a side effect from the heat stroke and meds. She was peeing and pooping and social. Well she took several weeks before she would eat her kibble again. We fed her bland foods etc. Fast forward nearly 3 months (2 vet visits and we have another one later this week) have gone by and we seem to be in a very familiar cycle. She will be her old self and eat her kibble (we have tried 5 different types) for 3-4 days like normal and then vomit. She wont eat anything or only bland foods for 5-6 days. We then slowly reintroduce kibble for 3-4 days and she vomits. Other symptoms that i believe point to allergies: constantly licking her paws, dragging her butt to the point where one side is almost pink, dark tear stains and she seems to have trouble chewing (vet sees nothing there and suggested a tiny bites kibble. Like I said earlier looking back there are symptoms that we have seen for quite a while (except for vomiting). Hind sight is 20-20 i guess. So we have tried many types of food (brands, size kibble, no chicken, no grain on and on and on). We go back to vet in 2 days. And I will be patient but she threw up again this morning. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice, encouraging words are appreciated?!?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh DEAR... definitely sounds like a food allergy. Has your vet offered allergy testing? I would say this is the best place to start... and continue on a bland diet till you get the results back.

Christine your thoughts?!! [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Dewwyme Welcome to EBN. This sounds very much like a food allergy... ask your vet to run a full blood screen allergy test. It takes about a week to get the results back, they are not 100% accurate, but it gives you a good baseline of what to avoid. I have had three bulldogs and did the test on all three... each was allergic to some type of protein or grain.

Nitshcke it was rice, dairy and chicken... he would constantly vomit and not want to eat
Banks it was chicken and salmon.... she broke out in hives and had issues breathing
Lambeau it is soy, corn and lamb... hives, hotspots excessive itching and loss of fur

Now, all that was happening before I had the allergy test done... once I removed those food items -- most of the issue disappeared. However, they all had/have environmental allergies as well, but all you can do is wipe them when they come in and give an antihistamine to help give some relief.

Please keep us posted and let us know how the vet visit goes

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=12219]Deweyme[/MENTION] I agree -a possible food allergy,or food mite allergy. Another possibility is ulcers. I would have x-ray, or barium x-ray done,as this would worry me quite a bit. I would also have a sonogram done-perhaps an enlarged spleen.or tumor, is a possibility. Surely your vet has done bloodwork to rule this out. When things are not right in your system,food does not even taste good. If these things have already been done-then allergy would be the culprit.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Sounds like food allergies. My Brutus has very extensive allergies and he does well on a grain free novel protien food. you can google novel protiens, Brutus eats rabbit and duck

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.