What is the best food for a bulldog with allergies?

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Hello everyone!

Bruce my old year old bulldog started to get scabs on his back when we moved to Virginia from NH. Even while on antibiotics the scabs have continued although slightly better. I'm starting to lean towards a food allergy. He's eating Taste of The Wild Pacific Stream recipe. I have no complaints about the food. He eats a little less than 3 cups a day, loves it, it's grain free, affordable (around $48 for a 30lb bag), and has great stools.

I was wondering what food you'd suggest if I need to move away from this food. I was thinking about Natural Balance limited ingredient dog food, Wellness Core, or Royal Canin Bulldog adult dog food. Please let me know if you have any experience with any of these foods or recommend a food for a bulldog with allergies.

Thanks,
Jim

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello everyone!

Bruce my old year old bulldog started to get scabs on his back when we moved to Virginia from NH. Even while on antibiotics the scabs have continued although slightly better. I'm starting to lean towards a food allergy. He's eating Taste of The Wild Pacific Stream recipe. I have no complaints about the food. He eats a little less than 3 cups a day, loves it, it's grain free, affordable (around $48 for a 30lb bag), and has great stools.

I was wondering what food you'd suggest if I need to move away from this food. I was thinking about Natural Balance limited ingredient dog food, Wellness Core, or Royal Canin Bulldog adult dog food. Please let me know if you have any experience with any of these foods or recommend a food for a bulldog with allergies.

Thanks,
Jim

Company Researches 2,200 Dog Food Formulas And Finds ONLY 119 To Be Satisfactory ? iHeartDogs.com

Natural Balance limited ingredient dog food, Wellness Core, or Royal Canin Bulldog adult dog food?????? STAY AWAY FROM THEM DOG FOOD OR YOU WILL HAVE WORSE PROBLEMS! !!!!!!!

Start incorporate some yogurts, coconut oil but whatever you do, DONT feed your dog what you just thought you should. Raw or home cook till he gets better then maybe reintroduce him back slowly to a kibble like acana but the one that has only ONE meat/protein so you know what is causing his allergies.

Schultz1503

Oct 11, 2016
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and Tink
Company Researches 2,200 Dog Food Formulas And Finds ONLY 119 To Be Satisfactory ? iHeartDogs.com

Natural Balance limited ingredient dog food, Wellness Core, or Royal Canin Bulldog adult dog food?????? STAY AWAY FROM THEM DOG FOOD OR YOU WILL HAVE WORSE PROBLEMS! !!!!!!!

Start incorporate some yogurts, coconut oil but whatever you do, DONT feed your dog what you just thought you should. Raw or home cook till he gets better then maybe reintroduce him back slowly to a kibble like acana but the one that has only ONE meat/protein so you know what is causing his allergies.

What kinds of yogurts are good for dogs? And why? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I'm wondering if it's not the food but the change of environment. I'm in VA and there are so many allergens here. Not sure about NH but I bet the colder weather there keeps a lot of that at bay. Try giving some Benadryl twice a day to see if that makes any difference. Each pill is 25mg and it's 1mg per body weight so if your dog is 50lbs they get 2 pills twice a day. If he didn't have issues with the food before I doubt that is the cause. If anything maybe switch ingredients? I switched my dog from chicken to lamb and her watery eyes and tear stains disappeared in 2 weeks. Good luck!

OP
Vabulldog

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Caitlin,
I agree with you there are a lot of allergens here in VA! Bruce's did a scrape where she found bacteria on his paws on along his back. She did not find any yeast or any fleas, mites, etc. She started out by prescribing 2 benadryl twice a day and said to try doing this during the summer months. She then prescribed a 10 day supply of antibiotics two separate times, the third time she changed the antibiotic and gave us a 30 day supply. She also gave me a medicated shampoo and told me to bathe Bruce 2X a week. This has all helped very little. He still drags along anything he can reach to scratch his back and sides.

It seems like one area heals and gets better, scabs do not come back to that area, but then another area breaks out. Now he has scabs all along the top of his head where he has never had them before even though he's half way through his 30 day supply of antibiotics. This makes me feel that's he's currently still being exposed to whatever he is allergic to.

He didn't have any of these issues in NH, however he's only a year old so this was his first summer so I can't really say how a summer in NH would have gone. I would love to know if his allergies are environmental or related to his food. I think TOTW is a good food, salmon isn't usually the source of allergies, and he's been on this food his entire life (we did switch from puppy to adult food, but kept the same protein). TOTW also comes in boar, venison, and lamb formulas. I'm not sure if I should just switch the protein or go with a limited ingredient diet.

Thanks,
Jim Joyner

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15054]brucebruce[/MENTION] [MENTION=16440]Schultz1503[/MENTION]

Yogurts aren’t essential for dogs. Their digestive systems and stomach acids are somewhat different to us humans. If you get a proper one no sugar, no artificial sweetener! !!! or colours it wont harm them. But.....certain situations where probiotics may be beneficial for our doggies. I use greek plain yogurt only. Buy in a healh food store Enterococcus faecium as well as Lactobacillus acidophilus are live bacteria in a capsules in the fridge area as they need to stay alive. So its NOT the ones on the shelves. Its a bit expensive but worth it. I even take it myself.

Why? Lets say if a dog was or is on antibiotics for food allergies or diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease you could try Greek yogurt. I give it in moderation for maintenance. Any yogurt on its on is not a miracle product for pets unless it has a high "Strain" like the one I buy has 10 strains and it's 60billion. Ok this is another subject lol..go to the heath food store, fridge department, highest strain 7-10 and like 60 billion n up. Open the capsule use half only for your dog other half tomorrow.

I know we like to trust our vets 200% but sometimes you get some vets that are stuck to what they've learned only and wont go that extra step to learn/read what's new out there that can also work for your pet. They will impose on you crap like RC.

I would do the live bacteria and put him on raw or home cooking. You will see a hugh difference. Remember when....depending how old you are....my grandparents even my parents would give the leftovers that was supper to the dog. Back then dogs would live till their like 15-18yrs old. It's a bit more work but if you love your baby which I know you do, you will change his diet. Old saying..... You are what you eat!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We tried over a dozen kibbles (high quality at that) for Tyson, and nothing ever really sat well with him. It was always something, runny stool, allergies, itchies. We finally went super simple and picked up The Honest Kitchen in one of their base mixes (we do Kindly) which is just veggies & fruits. We then added our own protein. (Extra lean ground beef, or Ground Kangaroo (occasionally) and he's done WONDERFUL!!! He's been on it now for over a year, and we never have any issues! His face cleared up, his stools firmed up, it was so frustrating in the beginning but now we have something that works.

You mentioned yogurt prior, its an probiotic basically. We give Tyson a great probiotic in pill form with Enzymes. Will post photo below for you.

I would look into The Honest Kitchen, go with a plain base (no protein) and add in your own. Its the closest to home cooked.

Microflora.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Caitlin,
I agree with you there are a lot of allergens here in VA! Bruce's did a scrape where she found bacteria on his paws on along his back. She did not find any yeast or any fleas, mites, etc. She started out by prescribing 2 benadryl twice a day and said to try doing this during the summer months. She then prescribed a 10 day supply of antibiotics two separate times, the third time she changed the antibiotic and gave us a 30 day supply. She also gave me a medicated shampoo and told me to bathe Bruce 2X a week. This has all helped very little. He still drags along anything he can reach to scratch his back and sides.

It seems like one area heals and gets better, scabs do not come back to that area, but then another area breaks out. Now he has scabs all along the top of his head where he has never had them before even though he's half way through his 30 day supply of antibiotics. This makes me feel that's he's currently still being exposed to whatever he is allergic to.

He didn't have any of these issues in NH, however he's only a year old so this was his first summer so I can't really say how a summer in NH would have gone. I would love to know if his allergies are environmental or related to his food. I think TOTW is a good food, salmon isn't usually the source of allergies, and he's been on this food his entire life (we did switch from puppy to adult food, but kept the same protein). TOTW also comes in boar, venison, and lamb formulas. I'm not sure if I should just switch the protein or go with a limited ingredient diet.

Thanks,
Jim Joyner

@brucebruce @Schultz1503

Yogurts aren’t essential for dogs. Their digestive systems and stomach acids are somewhat different to us humans. If you get a proper one no sugar, no artificial sweetener! !!! or colours it wont harm them. But.....certain situations where probiotics may be beneficial for our doggies. I use greek plain yogurt only. Buy in a healh food store Enterococcus faecium as well as Lactobacillus acidophilus are live bacteria in a capsules in the fridge area as they need to stay alive. So its NOT the ones on the shelves. Its a bit expensive but worth it. I even take it myself.

Why? Lets say if a dog was or is on antibiotics for food allergies or diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease you could try Greek yogurt. I give it in moderation for maintenance. Any yogurt on its on is not a miracle product for pets unless it has a high "Strain" like the one I buy has 10 strains and it's 60billion. Ok this is another subject lol..go to the heath food store, fridge department, highest strain 7-10 and like 60 billion n up. Open the capsule use half only for your dog other half tomorrow.

I know we like to trust our vets 200% but sometimes you get some vets that are stuck to what they've learned only and wont go that extra step to learn/read what's new out there that can also work for your pet. They will impose on you crap like RC.

I would do the live bacteria and put him on raw or home cooking. You will see a hugh difference. Remember when....depending how old you are....my grandparents even my parents would give the leftovers that was supper to the dog. Back then dogs would live till their like 15-18yrs old. It's a bit more work but if you love your baby which I know you do, you will change his diet. Old saying..... You are what you eat!

I think this is all environmental allergies that are casuing the weak immune system... adding probiotics as others have suggested will help. also, has your vet mention staph infection? does the fur come off after the scab clears up?

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Caitlin,

Thanks,
Jim Joyner

That is all so frustrating! See my pitbull has environmental allergies but it manifests in her ears and paws, no scabs. I am wondering about staff too hmm. Also a lot of dogs allergies don't manifest until they hit one, so there is a good change he would have developed the same thing in NH if he was still exposed to the allergen. If all that isn't helping then it could be the food. Have you considered a raw diet? I don't do it but many people here do and say it's the best. Also you may want to run an allergy test so you know what you need to avoid. I wish you the best of luck, allergies are no fun at all!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Earthborne Meadow Feast has worked the best for my girls. I change them occasionally to the Earthborne Ocean one and can go from one to the other without any problems but I stick with Earthborne grain free for mine. Good luck.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
That is all so frustrating! See my pitbull has environmental allergies but it manifests in her ears and paws, no scabs. I am wondering about staff too hmm. Also a lot of dogs allergies don't manifest until they hit one, so there is a good change he would have developed the same thing in NH if he was still exposed to the allergen. If all that isn't helping then it could be the food. Have you considered a raw diet? I don't do it but many people here do and say it's the best. Also you may want to run an allergy test so you know what you need to avoid. I wish you the best of luck, allergies are no fun at all!
My son's pitbulls has the same as yours and now he's switch them to Horizon Legacy and they are doing great!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
My son's pitbulls has the same as yours and now he's switch them to Horizon Legacy and they are doing great!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Oooh never heard of that brand. She is on a grain free lamb and rice but food doesn't seem to be the trigger. She HATES being outside because I think she knows the grass and pollen make her feel bad. In the winter months she gets so much better then come spring it's in full force again :-(. She is almost 70% deaf due to the reoccurring infections in her ears. We have tried just about everything including surgery to open them up. We just do maintenance now to try and keep her the most comfortable.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oooh never heard of that brand. She is on a grain free lamb and rice but food doesn't seem to be the trigger. She HATES being outside because I think she knows the grass and pollen make her feel bad. In the winter months she gets so much better then come spring it's in full force again :-(. She is almost 70% deaf due to the reoccurring infections in her ears. We have tried just about everything including surgery to open them up. We just do maintenance now to try and keep her the most comfortable.

According to dog advisor horizon legacy came in as one of the best and it's a lot cheaper than the other brands.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=15054]brucebruce[/MENTION] I am currently going thru this with my 1 yr old bully. Scabs started on his back with fur attached, leaving bald patches. It then moved to his face. He was diagnosed with a staph infection and was put on a 30 day treatment of antibiotics, which helped significantly. Scabs went away and fur began to grow back. I thought we were in the clear, until the scabs reappeared on his face. Just spoke to his vet yesterday and he will began another treatment of antibiotics today, she is adding an extra wks dosage in hopes we can get this all cleared up. We are also going to change his food at this time. She suggested trying lamb, salmon, duck, etc, something without chicken or beef, being that's the protein most dogs are allergic to. After a lot of research (been thinking of changing his food for some time now, I was just waiting until he turned 1), I'm going to try duck Zignature brand as it's grain free and also has no potato, which can lead to yeast problems. His only treats are frozen greek yogurt (every morning), frozen pure pumpkin (on occasion), and coconut oil (every day). I also plan on adding raw (freeze dried) to his diet, 3x a wk, but not all at once. Hope this helps!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
What kinds of yogurts are good for dogs? And why? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoney Brook plain…good for digestive and probiotic benefits. My bullie LOVES his yogurt (in his yogurt dish:blush2:) very beneficial for health and wellness!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.