Prices on dog food

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So, like most knows I "home cook" for Nyala. Because of a food business I own and not home much I decided to get a bag of dog food and leave some at my sons so when she's babysat they always have something to feed her. I went to check out Fromm like :w00t: 96.99 $ a bag???? Acana classic or Regional 98.99 $ a bag??? :huh::wtf::aaargh::bang::bang:

Did I miss something in 8 months of cooking?

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Fromm's grain free menu - four star nutritional: lamb & lentil, beef frittata, surf and turf, salmon tunalini - are around $65-69 - the 26# bag at Chewy's

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Nope, that is what I pay for Adult Orijen, the Canadian version, and I will pay that as long as I can get the Canadian version, till they force me to get the USA formulation, which is slightly different, and I am apprehensive, as some have been some adversities to the US Kitchen made version.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Yeah it is pricey but you also generally use less so it would last longer. With Harlea a 26lb lasts her 3 months and we pay $78 a bag so $26 a month isn't that bad if you ask me. Of course everyone's pups are different so it may last longer or shorter or others.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh yes American price... less expensive..forgot about that..

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It's not just dog food...human food as well...INSANITY!

Important to eat wholesome & real food (not prepackaged) but if chronically ill,
it is a must! I'm on disability only, so difficult trying to eat healthy and feed Cami
healthy diet as well. I must watch every penny to do so, after much research I
feed my bulldogs grain free TOTW (Taste of the Wild), costs about $55/28 llbs
I switch out meals with meat, beef or turkey a couple x weekly.

There is real hunger happening in America :(

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It's not just dog food..human food as well...INSANITY!

Important to eat wholesome & real food (not prepackaged) but if chronically ill,
it is a must! I'm on disability only, so difficult trying to eat healthy and feed Cami
healthy diet as well. I must watch every penny to do so, after much research I
feed my bulldogs grain free TOTW (Taste of the Wild), costs about $55/28 llbs
I switch out meals with meat, beef or turkey a couple x weekly.

There is real hunger happening in America :(

It's everywhere Carol. Some of our schools too. Use to give my lunch to kids so they can have a proper meal for the day. But dog food has rocket for sure. To cook for nyala is about 100 $ a month. In my case its time. I should be ok by xmas then I wont have to travel on weekends for the market. Even then if I stop the turkey meals she is still getting the cook liver, heart and all that yucky insinde of organs topped on her meals. I add the broth, turmic and ginger. Maybe why she's full of energy lolll.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Oh yes American price... less expensive..forgot about that..
So true. What is crazy around here is the store I buy from is $78 and the one up the road is $86 and then another store in the opposite direction is $112 for the same food.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
So, like most knows I "home cook" for Nyala. Because of a food business I own and not home much I decided to get a bag of dog food and leave some at my sons so when she's babysat they always have something to feed her. I went to check out Fromm like :w00t: 96.99 $ a bag???? Acana classic or Regional 98.99 $ a bag??? :huh::wtf::aaargh::bang::bang:

Did I miss something in 8 months of cooking?

I use a Canadian made food ( way cheeper versus US food due to dollar exchange ) the company is Petcurean , the specific food I use is GO fit and free , chicken turkey + trout recipe grain free . Now do not forget I feed five dogs here also , I needed a Bulldog food that would fit for the rest of them and there nutrition requirements . I also used the brand for Rosie,s puppy food and switched her to this once of age .
Rosie and others love it no issues whatsoever , I pay $76.00 CDN a 25lb or 11.3 kg per bag and purchase 2 bags at a time , I get almost 3 weeks out of that purchase .

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I use a Canadian made food ( way cheeper versus US food due to dollar exchange ) the company is Petcurean , the specific food I use Iis GO fit and free , chicken turkey + trout recipe grain free . Now do not forget I feed five dogs here also , I needed a Bulldog food that would fit for the rest of them and there nutrition requirements . I also used the brand for Rosie,s puppy food and switched her to this once of age .
Rosie and others love it no issues whatsoever , I pay $76.00 CDN a 25lb or 11.3 kg per bag and purchase 2 bags at a time , I get almost 3 weeks out of that purchase .

Who sells it? Orijen or Acana are owned by Champion and founded here in Alberta. When I was living in Montreal I would pay the biggest bag 68.00 moved to Alberta 78.00! Now same orijen bag 98$. You wou think would be cheaper where its founded. Ha! And yet I travel often throughout Canada and I would ha8ve to say Alberta is the most expensive province. Worked in White Rock BC very expensive place and still cheaper in food (not houses). Alberta is a spoil yuppy place cause of their oil/patch but now the world is buying elsewhere AB is sure feeling it. Ok that was your economy class of the day hahah.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Wow that is high! I love the food I have my girls on, it's just Southern States brand of naturals (no dyes, preservatives, corn/wheat/gluten) and it's the lamb and rice. It's $36 for a 40lb bag. They sell a completely grain free line too for a bit more but because Biscuit does so amazing on this I'm not switching her. One bag last me about a month feeding 2 dogs 2cups a day. I'd love to home cook for them but I just don't have the time, I barely find time to cook dinners and meal prep for myself for work.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I use a Canadian made food ( way cheeper versus US food due to dollar exchange ) the company is Petcurean , the specific food I use is GO fit and free , chicken turkey + trout recipe grain free . Now do not forget I feed five dogs here also , I needed a Bulldog food that would fit for the rest of them and there nutrition requirements . I also used the brand for Rosie,s puppy food and switched her to this once of age .

Go figure I went to pet global bought a little acana lamb see what fits for nyala and saw on the counter your petcurean and funniest part was lady had a dog exactly like your big brindle I commented on. Geez lol

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15628]Biscuitsmom[/MENTION] This is Canada everything is so more expensive. Only like 35ish million people as you guys have a few zeros more at the end of you 35 lol... I was talking to the petshop lady and she said champion brought their prices to high too fast so they can help financially their new plant yhey open in US. She she clients are going towards other brands now. Prices went up minimum $10 a bag but they shrink it to 25lbs as it use to be over 30lbs. Example today I bought a bag of 2.2kilo which is....4.4lbs for 25$ as I dont want to pay 80 $ and she gets a bad reaction. So for now buying small bags till I see how she's going. I still home cook but she will have one per day and kibbles at night topped with organs n broth. Bit of turmic and ginger.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Who sells it? Orijen or Acana are owned by Champion and founded here in Alberta. When I was living in Montreal I would pay the biggest bag 68.00 moved to Alberta 78.00! Now same orijen bag 98$. You wou think would be cheaper where its founded. Ha! And yet I travel often throughout Canada and I would ha8ve to say Alberta is the most expensive province. Worked in White Rock BC very expensive place and still cheaper in food (not houses). Alberta is a spoil yuppy place cause of their oil/patch but now the world is buying elsewhere AB is sure feeling it. Ok that was your economy class of the day hahah.

the company is Petcurean

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Go figure I went to pet global bought a little acana lamb see what fits for nyala and saw on the counter your petcurean and funniest part was lady had a dog exactly like your big brindle I commented on. Geez lol

OH No Odin has a double .......
You have to also take into consideration we have a very small privately owned pet store here , think our population is less then 1500, to get to a main line store it is a minimum 1 hr drive one way like say Pet Value so to add the drive cost on of 2 hrs , now are gas is cheap tho at 91.6 a ltr but still that is extra cost when you add it all up . Our pet store brings in for Me only 10 bags at a time think it is the minimum they have to buy I agree to purchase that all from them I also get the 11th bag free in a loyalty program with the food manufacturer . More My worry is and has always been the nutrition in the bag for My dogs always is at the top of My list , they do sell Fromms at the store also and various other supposed top line dog foods but those are all small bag quantities useless to me with 5 large dogs .

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.