Any recommendations for lasting chew treats? Pig ears?

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
Some breeders recommend pig ears? Anybody tried these? Are they safe?

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Personally, I had a bad experience with Murray and pig ears and also beef knuckle bones. He loved them both but got super super aggressive which was not ok. If you are looking for a longer lasting chew I would suggest an antler, the bigger ones last a long time or a raw marrow bone

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Pig ear, hooves and rawhides are choking hazards. Antlers are your best bet. Just stay away from splits if possible.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
No pig ears, raw hides bully sticks, or anything like that. Nylabones, Kongs, and Elk antlers are all good chew toys.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the gang.... stay away from all those processed items -- bad, bad, bad in a few ways.

raw (not cooked) marrow bones
moose paddles
deer/elk antlers
Nylabones

are all great options

Midnightcaper

Aug 20, 2015
Washington
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Sniper
+1 for the elk antler and if your pup starts to get bored of it a overnight soak in water with a small amount of broth will help bring some flavor to get him back at it. Just make sure u read the ingredients on the broth.

OP
Helicoptermom

Helicoptermom

Jun 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson and Sugar
Great idea about the broth and water.

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Bentley had a pig ear once. He "found" it at the pet food store so I felt obligated to purchase it after he slobbered it. It was a disgusting mushy mess in no time. Later he threw up a big pile of foamy yuck.
He only gets nylabones, now, or an occasional marrow bone. I would also allow him to have an antler but no pig ear, ever.
So, basically, I agree with the others. :tongue:

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Some breeders recommend pig ears? Anybody tried these? Are they safe?

NO not for a bulldog or rawhide , they can and will choke on them , made the mistake with My first bulldog and she choked on them . My other dogs eat them no issues and LOVE pigs ears but not to many or the runs can develop and I get concerned about all that smoking they do to them to cure them , they say BBQ and smoked meat is a cause of cancer if in humans if eaten to much .

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Where do you get the moose paddles and deer/antlers, I want to get Elmo one of these. Thank You, Susan and My Elmo Boy

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I did as recommended by vet and lucky I was here as FTSE was chocking on the dam thing it was stuck in his throat I had to get it out never again I also told the vet they should not be recommending them

This was pigs ears

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
Bump for more info. Got a water buffalo horn tonight because Pablo grabbed it off the shelf, and it was cheap. Perfect combo. He seems to LOVEit but didn't see it mentioned here.

I know to watch if it starts falling apart. Anything else? How much are the options you all listed, approximately?

These things are expensive! I have hunter friends but I don't think elk lol just deer maybe.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Where do you get the moose paddles and deer/antlers, I want to get Elmo one of these. Thank You, Susan and My Elmo Boy

I buy all our moose antlers from Acadia Antlers dot com ....they are expesive, but will last years. I have two right now that are 3 or 4 years old and the boys still love them

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bump for more info. Got a water buffalo horn tonight because Pablo grabbed it off the shelf, and it was cheap. Perfect combo. He seems to LOVEit but didn't see it mentioned here.

I know to watch if it starts falling apart. Anything else? How much are the options you all listed, approximately?

These things are expensive! I have hunter friends but I don't think elk lol just deer maybe.

I have never bought one .... they look a lot like hove, which i would not give to my guys --- look to be easily broken, but like I said never bought one so not sure on them.

Moose antlers or raw marrow bones are all I give to my guys. Once the marrow is out of the bone, I stuff with peanut butter and freeze for a treat later in the week

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
I have never bought one .... they look a lot like hove, which i would not give to my guys --- look to be easily broken, but like I said never bought one so not sure on them.

Moose antlers or raw marrow bones are all I give to my guys. Once the marrow is out of the bone, I stuff with peanut butter and freeze for a treat later in the week
I read that marrow is great for pups too... where do you get them and what is cost? I want something that keeps his interest for longer than a night.

This horn has had very high interest tonight and looks like I could stuff it with pb also.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.