Help! Managing Weight

JKWOKC

Aug 24, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Walter is currently 14 weeks old and was born 5/23/16. We feed him Fromm Puppy (Pink Bag) and give him 2 1/2 cups a day, 1 1/4 cups in the morning and 1 1/4 cups in the evening. The vet today was concerned about his weight, he currently weighs 23.5lbs but to me he doesn't look overweight. Here is his growth since we adopted him:

7/8/16 (6 weeks) - 8.1lbs
7/28/16 (9 weeks) - 12.66lbs
8/15/16 (12 weeks) - 18.56lbs
8/29/16 (14 weeks) - 23.50lbs

Any suggestions or help? I've been searching around and it seems like he is a little overweight compared to everyone else. It's just hard to tell and nerve racking :fie:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It seems to me a tad early for the Vet to be so concerned so please, do not stress
yourself unduly! Yes...we are to be aware that overweight bullies isn't good but
your sweet Walter is just a baby still, plenty of time to take off excess and keep a
healthy weight. I will let others advise on puppy food amounts, I've only adopted
older bullies for a long time now.

Need pics of Walter from above so can see his waistline & from side view too. Bullies
are all shapes & sizes, he may just be a really big boy so it's hard to go by comparisons
of weight without looking at him.

Fall is coming (not soon enough for Texas) so easier for him to be outside in cooler temps
and be more active, that will help a lot! Others will advise on proper food amounts.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Geez was reading an old post the opposite of your problem....

I wouldn't freak out. Some puppies grows faster than others. This is for any puppy not just Bullies. Nyala was supposed to be a mini bully well shes 17 in to the shoulder 40lbs, my GS was supposed to be 80lbs and went up to 115 lbs. If you give rich food in high calories like orijen puppy food, they grow like bad weed. BUT...they do not stay fat! They will grow into bigger leanner dogs. All my dogs were fed high rich puppy food. Took them off puppy food when they were between 6-8 months old. Nyala stayed on till 5 months.

So relax and dont change anything just yet. Your dog is too young to be switch as he needs all the oils, calories, rich proteins for now. When he reaches 6-8 months old and still growing then consider to switch to adult food. If he's very active and moves a lot, leave him be. Dont worry for now he's just a pupy that grows faster. Hey Nyala took 6lbs in one week the 3 per week then stopped at 8months old. She's 11 months old now.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It seems to me a tad early for the Vet to be so concerned so please, do not stress
yourself unduly! Yes...we are to be aware that overweight bullies isn't good but
your sweet Walter is just a baby still, plenty of time to take off excess and keep a
healthy weight. I will let others advise on puppy food amounts, I've only adopted
older bullies for a long time now.

Need pics of Walter from above so can see his waistline & from side view too. Bullies
are all shapes & sizes, he may just be a really big boy so it's hard to go by comparisons
of weight without looking at him.

Fall is coming (not soon enough for Texas) so easier for him to be outside in cooler temps
and be more active, that will help a lot! Others will advise on proper food amounts.

:goodpost: I agree, when the weather cools down he will lose a few pounds... he is too young to be super concerned about his weight at this point.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I wouldn't worry about weight right now. Up until 6 months you should be feeding three times a day though. I think at that age I still fed 3 cups a day.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I agree with all. My Jewel girl was 19 pounds at 10 weeks. My vet said do not worry about her weight until she is a year old.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I totally agree with the gang... no need to be concerned until they are a year old

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.