What I am going to feed my new puppy

Pheebee

Aug 1, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I did a lot of research and went to 3 pet stores and I decided on raw food diet. It is called Legacy Turkey Dinner and a supplement 3 times a week called Earth Origins. After reading stories on kibble and the difference between the 2 and also keep in mind how EB are so prone to things. Where kibble takes up to 12 hours to digest and 2 to 4 hours for raw food and there was more pros for raw and more cons to kibble and I also researched why vets are against raw and it is due to lack of knowledge of nutrition and I also found some are switching to raw for their pets. This is my input not putting anyone else down for their choices I am just trying to make sure my baby boy lives a healthy life with no issues and I hope I made the right one.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Pheebee, Welcome to EBN to you and Dozer. Can't wait for you to share pictures of your new baby. Congratulations.
I also have a make named Bulldozer, we call him Dozer for short and we have his sister and litter mate Blossom. They are both 4 1/2 years old. Whereabouts inCanada are you from? I live in Burlington, Ontario. I also did a lot of research on dogfood and Nutrition when I first got my babies, I knew that the kibble (Royal Canin) that the breeder was feeding them wasn't the best of foods, so I switched them to Go Natural but they were both allergic to chicken, so I switched them to Fromms. My female Blossom is still on Fromms, but Dozer has many protein allergies and develops allergies to them over time. He was on Fromms beef for two years before he developed an allergy to that one, and then he was on Fromms Lamb and Lentil for 9 months before he started having symptoms again. Out of desperation I put him on a Vegan kibble to detoxify him of all proteins and then introduced what they call Novel Protiens, which are ones that they have never had, such as Rabbit, or Kangaroo, he didn't tolerate these either, so I continued to feed him the Vegan kibble but added non animal proteins like kidney beans, Lentils, and eggs. Then I tried him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison, which he so far tolerates. I rotate his foods every two weeks from the vegan kibble to the Venison and now I also give him raw. The brand I buy is Pure Pork. I'm hoping by switching him, he won't develop an allergy to the Protiens. I'm no expert on this, I've just done research, experimenting with is diet and what he tolerates and lots of trial and error. I agree with you that there are lots of pros and cons to kibble, but there are also many good quality kibble out there as well. If you choose a 4 to 6 Star kibble such as Fromms, Wellness, Arcana, Orijen, Blue Buffalo, or any of the other brands listed on the DogFood Ratings Page, you can't go wrong. Every dog is different in what they tolerate and even like, and there is no right or wrong way to feed your dog, whether it be kibble, raw or home cooked as long as you choose a good quality food.

Here is a picture of my guys Dozer and Blossom:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 111
OP
P

Pheebee

Aug 1, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hi Viking girl I live in kelowna bc and here is Dozer but I have not got him yet next Sunday the 28. I am really excited about getting him. And btw love your puppies

Attachments

• IMG_8640.png
    IMG_8640.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 129

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
AWWWWA what a cutie pie!

Welcome to EBN Pheebee... Dozer is adorable. Raw is great choice. I decided to home cook for Nyala but raw would of been my second choice. I start this business in the food industry and there's a lot of Cross-contamination. Just make sure it's a reputable company. We have a few here in Canada that are great. Dont forget to post more photos when you get him.

OP
P

Pheebee

Aug 1, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
It's Legacy Turkey Dinner made in Alberta. I got it from Tail Blazers out of the 3 pet stores she had so much knowledge on all the raw food brands. So I am hoping was right choice.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Viking girl I live in kelowna bc and here is Dozer but I have not got him yet next Sunday the 28. I am really excited about getting him. And btw love your puppies

How exciting. I love him, his colours are beautiful. I miss the puppy stage.
My Hubbys whole family live in Victoria. BC is such a beautiful Province.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Raw is a great choice for dogs... and we have many members who use raw for their dogs. I was feeding raw to my boxer for awhile, but I was constantly worried about the recalls. I was getting the pre-made patties at the pet food centers.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Raw is a great choice. I don't know any of the brands in Canada, but from what I see in their web site it seems very good. Did you check that it is good for puppys too? Commercial dog foods have recalls, raw or kibble. It some how seems that when a raw manufacturer has a recall, it's worse that if a kibble manufacturer has one :confused:

OP
P

Pheebee

Aug 1, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I did research on the recalls and there are more kibble recalls than raw.

Arcanine

Sep 21, 2016
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
no
Personally I wouldn’t mix raw and kibble because I wouldn’t want the bacteria on the kibble being able to multiply when introduced to the moisture on the surface of the raw..it is why I don’t like mixing kibble and canned food or mixing kibble with water. Do you know how long that kibble sits around? it has an incredibly long shelf life, and the bacteria on it stays under control because it is so dry until it hits the acid of the stomach.. but mix it with something not acidic, those things can grow and flourish..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

Your baby is adorable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.