KatieCrowShoe

Aug 1, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tikka
Our bully Tikka will be 10 months old this August. Since she turned 6 months old and was spayed we have had issues with food allergies. When we received Tikka from the breeder the food recommended was Royal Canin medium breed puppy formula. The breeder recommended that when Tikka turn 6 months old to switch her to TLC brand. During this time Tikka began licking her paws and rubbing the side of her head like her ears were itchy. Being first time pet owners we took to the internet and learned it may be a food allergy. This went on for months and we did not know how to help Tikka. We eventually switched food again to Blue Buffalo. Tikka did super well on the first bag. When we bought a second bag Tikka began getting diarrhea. We couldn't understand why all of a sudden she had diarrhea. So we switched to a different flavor (same brand). There was an incident with Tikka swallowing fox tail grass and she had to be sedated to remove the fibers from her throat. During that same trip the doctor told us Tikka had bad ear infections in both ears and her paws were infected as well from her constant licking. The doctor said both the ear infections and licking paws were a result of food allergies. I felt like such a horrible pet owner and I was sad my Tikka was suffering. The doctor perscribed her Hills prescription diet for skin and food sensitivities which was suppose to help her reaction to food. Instead tikka got diarrhea again. Me and my husband decided to feed her chicken breasts and that worked well except it became to expensive. Right now we are in the process of switching Tikka to Hills Science Diet. She is still licking her paws. Being a first time pet owner I just want advice if this is normal for my bully to have such trouble with food and any advice I can recieve from the bully world would be so helpful. I would love to find her food that doesn't make her have a reaction at all.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN [MENTION=16189]KatieCrowShoe[/MENTION]

So sorry you are going through so much with your new baby! Hills is OK for short term needs, but not long term.

Look in to one of the following and avoid chicken, and all grains. They tend to cause issues (processed chicken.. not fresh)

No particular order:
-Earthborn
-Taste of the Wild
-Fromm
-Acana
-Orijen

These are food many bulldog owners have good/great results with.

Also, you can give he Benedryl 1mg per pound 2x a day to help lessen the licking/scratching

Add a little bit of pure canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) to the food to help with the :poo: issue too

Please keep us posted and let us see you pretty girl

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
K

KatieCrowShoe

Aug 1, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tikka
Switched Tikka to Fromm Salmon and Tunalini. She seems to be doing quite well!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Switched Tikka to Fromm Salmon and Tunalini. She seems to be doing quite well!

Hello my Canadian friend. Keep this link as you will get all the info you need

Best Dog Foods | Dog Food Advisor

And thank god you got rid of RC of Hills science diet

There are a lot of good kibbles out there. Basically is us to do our homework which I see you did.

WELCOME!!!!

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Glad she is going better! I just wanted to add that it could also be environmental allergies too which are harder to control. My pitbull has them and she gets bad ear infections and chews her feet. Nothing really stops her but minimal grass/outdoor time plus some Benadryl does help. She is also on a grain free lamb diet. Allergies are tough! Since you pup is so young you may also want to try a blood allergy test if symptoms still present themselves so you can 100% avoid the allergen. GL!

OP
K

KatieCrowShoe

Aug 1, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tikka
Thank you helsonwheels for the link!! And biscuit mom thank you as well. Maybe it is environmental. She still tries to lick her paws a bit but not as crazy as before. I started to question if it may be the laundry soap we use for her blanket. We also rent and before we moved in the landlords hired a company to clean the carpet. I wondering if it could be from whatever they used on the carpet.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you helsonwheels for the link!! And biscuit mom thank you as well. Maybe it is environmental. She still tries to lick her paws a bit but not as crazy as before. I started to question if it may be the laundry soap we use for her blanket. We also rent and before we moved in the landlords hired a company to clean the carpet. I wondering if it could be from whatever they used on the carpet.

carpets can be an issue there. I had to have all carpets clean when I rented this other house to tenants and wow did they ever come clean. Im sure they did put strong stuff as there was nasy stains and they were all gone. Maybe like [MENTION=15628]Biscuitsmom[/MENTION] mentioned get a blood test done. I know I use tide pods and I haven't seen issues with Nyala. But even for my own skin I can't use any softeners. I use vinegar in my rinse. And NO it does not smell vinegar ! Many years ago my mom use to work in a hospital and she said the hospital would use vinegar to rinse all their bed sheets, gowns etc. Keeps your whites white :) so yes it works.... just a thought.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online