Help Needed! How quick do allergy symptons arise from new food???

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
Ready to pull my hair out guys, I can not make a decision!
My Franky has had some allergy symptons, lots of itching and a skin infection... so I decided to switch his dog food 4 days ago. And for the last 2 he has slowly developed a pretty vicious hot spot on his neck!!! I am attaching a picture, not the best quality since my little guy was playing around still, I'm thinking it's not bothering him too much but it looks so angry this morning!!! Ugh. Should I discontinue the new food, could it possibly be a horrible reaction to that? Or maybe this is the end of the old food I'm phasing out? I am not having alot of confidence in my vet right now, possibly switching to a different one. I am phasing out the Diamond Brand Puppy food, and just started Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream. Am I maybe just jumping to conclusions, should I give it a week or so and treat the hot spot and see what happens then? No loose stools or other symptons. So torn.... also, I have been putting coconut oil on the spot but is there something else more effective? Everyone here is always so helpful, I would truly appreciate some input!!!!!!

Attachments

• 20160719_063639.jpg
    20160719_063639.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 176
OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin

Also, I have a Tri-otic ointment from another issue, is that something I could possibly put on it??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My Franky has had some allergy symptons, lots of itching and a skin infection... so I decided to switch his dog food 4 days ago. And for the last 2 he has slowly developed a pretty vicious hot spot on his neck!!! I am attaching a picture, not the best quality since my little guy was playing around still, I'm thinking it's not bothering him too much but it looks so angry this morning!!! Ugh. Should I discontinue the new food, could it possibly be a horrible reaction to that? Or maybe this is the end of the old food I'm phasing out? I am not having alot of confidence in my vet right now, possibly switching to a different one. I am phasing out the Diamond Brand Puppy food, and just started Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream. Am I maybe just jumping to conclusions, should I give it a week or so and treat the hot spot and see what happens then? No loose stools or other symptons. So torn.... also, I have been putting coconut oil on the spot but is there something else more effective? Everyone here is always so helpful, I would truly appreciate some input!!!!!!

OUCH! Leave the food transition for now.... reactions can happen immediately or sometimes take a few weeks to slowly appear, depends on how bad the allergen is for them. No coconut oil.... you want to dry it out ---Shave the area and clean it with peroxide and then keep it cry and clean till it dries up. Add a probiotic to his meal to help build the immune system.

how old is he?

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
OUCH! Leave the food transition for now.... reactions can happen immediately or sometimes take a few weeks to slowly appear, depends on how bad the allergen is for them. No coconut oil.... you want to dry it out ---Shave the area and clean it with peroxide and then keep it cry and clean till it dries up. Add a probiotic to his meal to help build the immune system.

how old is he?

He is almost 9 months. Okay, check on all of the above! This is breaking my heart here!!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is almost 9 months. Okay, check on all of the above! This is breaking my heart here!!!

They are not painful, just look horrendous. he is too young for an allergy test, but if you are not doing so... give him Benedryl to help with the allergies -- 1mg per pound up to 3x a day -- one dose will probably be enough, but see how he does on it before going all in. Do not use children's version... use the regular adult pills, I hide them in vanilla ice cream, never a mess or spit out of a pill with that :)

Does he have any other signs of allergies? runny eyes, pink face, licking paws?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Hey :)
If you are in the middle of a transition, I would give it a little more time. If could very well be the remains of the old food still cycling through. I would treat the hotspot with Vetericyn. I wouldn't use the Tri-otic because the goal in a hotspot is to keep it dry. No more coconut oil either. You want it to be clean, and allow it to dry. Sometimes shaving the area a little is best to allow it to dry out. Just be sure to clean maybe 2-3 times a day. Some simple witch hazel on a cotton ball would work great for that.

Once he's 100% on the new food for at least 2-3 weeks then you can gauge on his improvement. Taste of Wild is a good choice but it will take a bit for that old food to completely rid his body and for the new food to start being absorbed :) Don't fret... Tyson gets hot spots from time to time... best thing is to catch them early, and start treating/cleaning right away so that it doesn't turn into a bigger issue that will require a vet visit. If you have Amazon, here's a link.

https://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-Plus-Animal-Wound-Skin/dp/B00425DZTM

I know its not super cheap, but trust me it works wonder for so many things, and great to keep on hand!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It could be the end of the old food coming out or it could be a reaction to the new food or a combination of the two. All bullies are different and with mine she is super sensitive for some reason and we usually know within 30 minutes of trying something new if she is going to have a reaction or not.

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
Hey :)
If you are in the middle of a transition, I would jgive it a little more time. If could very well be the remains of the old food still cycling through. I would treat the hotspot with Vetericyn. I wouldn't use the Tri-otic because the goal in a hotspot is to keep it dry. No more coconut oil either. You want it to be clean, and allow it to dry. Sometimes shaving the area a little is best to allow it to dry out. Just be sure to clean maybe 2-3 times a day. Some simple witch hazel on a cotton ball would work great for that.

Once he's 100% on the new food for at least 2-3 weeks then you can gauge on his improvement. Taste of Wild is a good choice but it will take a bit for that old food to completely rid his body and for the new food to start being absorbed :) Don't fret... Tyson gets hot spots from time to time... best thing is to catch them early, and start treating/cleaning right away so that it doesn't turn into a bigger issue that will require a vet visit. If you have Amazon, here's a link.

https://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-Plus-Animal-Wound-Skin/dp/B00425DZTM

I know its not super cheap, but trust me it works wonder for so many things, and great to keep on hand!

Thank you thank you thank you! I will be checking into the Vetericyn after work! Greatly appreciated advice!

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
They are not painful, just look horrendous. he is too young for an allergy test, but if you are not doing so... give him Benedryl to help with the allergies -- 1mg per pound up to 3x a day -- one dose will probably be enough, but see how he does on it before going all in. Do not use children's version... use the regular adult pills, I hide them in vanilla ice cream, never a mess or spit out of a pill with that :)

Does he have any other signs of allergies? runny eyes, pink face, licking paws?

Started the benedryl this morning! He has some mild eye water and nose running, but only after waking up from a nap once or twice a day, doesnt seem to be abnormal. Hasn't touched his feet at all. So that's why I am assuming it's not environmental. But! I'm open to all options! I'm prepared for an allergy test when he comes of age tho. He does have red cheeks from time to time, but it will go away after he stops rubbing. That's the main concern that brought me to allergies, itchy ears and itchy cheeks! Oh, and his arm pits! Lol! Not his belly, just his armpits!!!

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
His stools are also fine, still solid. He is super gassy and burps while he ate the old food. I used to give him cheese and yogurt as well, but cut those out with the new food in case of dairy issues.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
His stools are also fine, still solid. He is super gassy and burps while he ate the old food. I used to give him cheese and yogurt as well, but cut those out with the new food in case of dairy issues.

Good idea...

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
My vet said it can be anywhere from right away to a year after being on the food. It depends on how allergic they are to the ingredients. Brutus has developed an allergy to foods after being on them for a long time.

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
Welp, only time will tell I suppose! Picked up some Vetericyn after work, reallyyyyy hoping that helps. Mr. Franklin also recieved a new toy since I feel so bad for the little guy! Wish me luck folks!!!!!!

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Good Luck Mr Tanklin!! - You are in good hands here, this ladies and gents know their stuff!! :)

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
Good Luck Mr Tanklin!! - You are in good hands here, this ladies and gents know their stuff!! :)

Sooooo true! I am so glad I found this site, the information is phenomenal!!!!! And best of all, with the Vetericin I've used the past two days, his hot spot is almost all gone! I m shocked and 100% relieved! Thank You all for the well wishes and advice!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online