Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurray!! Hurray!! I found canned pumpkin!!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

Default Hurray!! Hurray!! I found canned pumpkin!!

This canned pumpkin shortage has been ridiculous. Last summer when I wanted to start feeding Gertie pumpkin, I couldn't get it at all. I ended up having a few cans shipped to me by another member, and then in Oct. I was able to get some in MIch. and brought it back to Az. Then the holidays came and every place had it, so I assumed the problem getting it had passed. Then yesterday someone else posted that they couldn't get it. (They'd ordered some from Amazon). I thought, "Oh no! Isn't this stuff available year-round?" I was on my last can, had it on the grocery list. So I called a couple places and got told that because of the shortage last year, they were only allocated a certain amount for the holidays and now they were out of it again. So I went out practically in a panic, on the pumpkin search. My brother is coming out from Mich. on Tues. and if I couldn't have found any I was going to call him and see if he'd get some and bring it in his suitcase (but it's heavy, and I'm sure he'd think I was nuts). But I went to Safeway and all they had was organic for $2.99 a can. Not my first choice, but I wasn't going to pass it up. But then we went to Wal-Mart and they had lots of Libby's for $1.67 a can. So I have PLENTY now, and don't have to worry about running out anytime soon! We can't have a "pumpkin crisis!!"

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hurray!! Hurray!! I found canned pumpkin!!

Thats great! I stock up too!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella Cow
    Likes (Received)

I just opened my last can of pumpkin and need more. I hope I don't have any problems finding it!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chaos
    Likes (Received)

we ALWAYS have it here. If anyone needs any ever, please let me know
    Bullies leave pawprints on our hearts furever <3

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

Couldn't get my bulldogs to eat it...and I never assumed I had picky eaters...Glad you were able to stock up...Yes...due to the horrible crop last year...pumpkin is hard to come by in certain areas I think...Like we had trouble finding to make pumpkin pies at Christmas time.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

heff101

Ok stupid question.
    Why are you feeding them pumpkin?

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

It is one of the healthiest foods for the pups to eat. Helps with their digestive system and has tons of nutrients. Plus if your pup has the runs it helps to firm them up also. The rescues use canned pumpkin as one of the things to help get the rescues back into good health. 1 Tbsp a day is all they need to help keep them extra healthy.

heff101

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    It is one of the healthiest foods for the pups to eat. Helps with their digestive system and has tons of nutrients. Plus if your pup has the runs it helps to firm them up also. The rescues use canned pumpkin as one of the things to help get the rescues back into good health. 1 Tbsp a day is all they need to help keep them extra healthy.
    Is it a good idea to give some to a 20 month old who is in the process of transitioning from one dog food to the other?

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Absolutely! It is a great addition to their daily foods anyhow but yes it would be good for the transition also. A lot of people freeze small amounts of pumpkin in ice cube trays so it is less messy to feed as snacks. I keep meaning to try this but havent remembered for the life of me. lol.

heff101

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    Absolutely! It is a great addition to their daily foods anyhow but yes it would be good for the transition also. A lot of people freeze small amounts of pumpkin in ice cube trays so it is less messy to feed as snacks. I keep meaning to try this but havent remembered for the life of me. lol.
    Ok so what exactly am I looking for as far as canned pumpkin goes?

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

@heff101 Just make sure it is canned pumpkin, and not pumpkin pie filling. The cans I got were made by Libbys .. don't know if anybody found another brand or not. The label was an orange colour!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

yes libbys is what we have here and it should say 100% pure canned pumpkin and the ingredients should be only pumpkin and maybe water or something like that. The pumpkin pie mixture can looks similar but has the sugar and spices mixed in. The 100% pumpkin is usually on the canned veggie aisle here and the pie mix is on the baking aisle. Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads