Hurray!! Hurray!! I found canned pumpkin!!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
This canned pumpkin shortage has been ridiculous. Last summer when I wanted to start feeding Gertie pumpkin, I couldn't get it at all. I ended up having a few cans shipped to me by another member, and then in Oct. I was able to get some in MIch. and brought it back to Az. Then the holidays came and every place had it, so I assumed the problem getting it had passed. Then yesterday someone else posted that they couldn't get it. (They'd ordered some from Amazon). I thought, "Oh no! Isn't this stuff available year-round?" I was on my last can, had it on the grocery list. So I called a couple places and got told that because of the shortage last year, they were only allocated a certain amount for the holidays and now they were out of it again. So I went out practically in a panic, on the pumpkin search. My brother is coming out from Mich. on Tues. and if I couldn't have found any I was going to call him and see if he'd get some and bring it in his suitcase (but it's heavy, and I'm sure he'd think I was nuts). But I went to Safeway and all they had was organic for $2.99 a can. Not my first choice, but I wasn't going to pass it up. But then we went to Wal-Mart and they had lots of Libby's for $1.67 a can. So I have PLENTY now, and don't have to worry about running out anytime soon!:whew: We can't have a "pumpkin crisis!!" :rolleyes:

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
I just opened my last can of pumpkin and need more. I hope I don't have any problems finding it!!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Couldn't get my bulldogs to eat it...and I never assumed I had picky eaters...Glad you were able to stock up...Yes...due to the horrible crop last year...pumpkin is hard to come by in certain areas I think...Like we had trouble finding to make pumpkin pies at Christmas time.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
It is one of the healthiest foods for the pups to eat. Helps with their digestive system and has tons of nutrients. Plus if your pup has the runs it helps to firm them up also. The rescues use canned pumpkin as one of the things to help get the rescues back into good health. 1 Tbsp a day is all they need to help keep them extra healthy.

H

heff101

It is one of the healthiest foods for the pups to eat. Helps with their digestive system and has tons of nutrients. Plus if your pup has the runs it helps to firm them up also. The rescues use canned pumpkin as one of the things to help get the rescues back into good health. 1 Tbsp a day is all they need to help keep them extra healthy.

Is it a good idea to give some to a 20 month old who is in the process of transitioning from one dog food to the other?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Absolutely! It is a great addition to their daily foods anyhow but yes it would be good for the transition also. A lot of people freeze small amounts of pumpkin in ice cube trays so it is less messy to feed as snacks. I keep meaning to try this but havent remembered for the life of me. lol.

H

heff101

Absolutely! It is a great addition to their daily foods anyhow but yes it would be good for the transition also. A lot of people freeze small amounts of pumpkin in ice cube trays so it is less messy to feed as snacks. I keep meaning to try this but havent remembered for the life of me. lol.

Ok so what exactly am I looking for as far as canned pumpkin goes?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1935]heff101[/MENTION] Just make sure it is canned pumpkin, and not pumpkin pie filling. The cans I got were made by Libbys .. don't know if anybody found another brand or not. The label was an orange colour!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
yes libbys is what we have here and it should say 100% pure canned pumpkin and the ingredients should be only pumpkin and maybe water or something like that. The pumpkin pie mixture can looks similar but has the sugar and spices mixed in. The 100% pumpkin is usually on the canned veggie aisle here and the pie mix is on the baking aisle. Hope that helps. :)

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
That was me that can't find it and got it on amazon :angry: Glad you have a good supply [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] ! The last time I could actually buy it around here I had to buy the store brand..now they don't even have that. We have a cannery outlet store near work I'm going to check out this week, but I doubt they can pumpkin..usually just veggies. My amazon order shipped today :up:

[MENTION=1935]heff101[/MENTION] Belly has been getting it since she was 8 weeks old. She had pretty runny :poo: after we brought her home from the breeder and the pumpkin fixed her right up. I thought maybe she had worms, but went to the vet and she said no she's fine..could just be the change of location that has her messed up.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online