General Question Appropriate Age To Switch To Dog Food?

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin

My Franklin just turned 8 months, he's a relatively big boy I think already at around 40 to 45 lbs. He is halfway thru an antibiotic for Puppy Pyoderma, and I am starting to wonder if it's due to an allergy, so I would like to switch him to a new adult food to try some options out. I've always read to switch to adult food at 12 months, but some people are telling me it's okay to do it alittle early. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I think 8 months is fine! Many here use Fromms, other good ones are taste of the wild, orijen, acana, zignature, the honest kitchen, pure vita, natures variety (mine is on a food trail with that one now, the salmon flavor). every bully is different and has different needs. There are a lot of great threads on food and home cooking on the forum to check out :) good luck!

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I started mine on Fromm at about 9 months. I feed the 4 star which is an all stages food and meets the nutritional puppy requirements. He does best on the Hasen Duckenpfeffer. Pork and peas is ok but Beef Fritata he is somewhat reactive to.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I switched at around 7-8 months to adult food for Lambeau... Went from Fromm puppy to Fromm grain free Pork and Peas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I started mine on Fromm at about 9 months. I feed the 4 star which is an all stages food and meets the nutritional puppy requirements. He does best on the Hasen Duckenpfeffer. Pork and peas is ok but Beef Fritata he is somewhat reactive to.

I was curious about trying that Hasen Duckenpfeffer for my two...

I just switched Willow to adult food and she's almost 9 months old...

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I was curious about trying that Hasen Duckenpfeffer for my two...

I just switched Willow to adult food and she's almost 9 months old...

He has been doing the best on this one. His fur is so glossy now; it was night and day difference when I started him on this flavor. They are shaped like bunnies.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
He has been doing the best on this one. His fur is so glossy now; it was night and day difference when I started him on this flavor. They are shaped like bunnies.

That's funny... Lol

I noticed it was priced higher of course, I may have to give it a try on the pups. Thanks for the input...

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
That's funny... Lol

I noticed it was priced higher of course, I may have to give it a try on the pups. Thanks for the input...

I buy from a local pet store whose price is comparable to online and they charge same price across the line.

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
Appreciate all the input, thanks a bunch! Fromms seems to be the way to go!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.