Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
So I am having some tummy issues with Gigi. She seems to really be sensitive. On and off over the whole time we've had her, she will have loose poops. Not diarrhea, just soft mush. I know, gross, right? Recently she had her spay and palate surgery and after that her stomach was a complete mess. She ended up having to go back to the vet and have a hernia repaired at her spay incision site, so I mentioned to them that I was having trouble getting her stomach to straighten back out. She's been staying with the vet since Saturday and they have been giving her I/d canned and kibble with fortiflora on top. Yesterday when I spoke to the doctor after her second surgery, he said her stomach had improved greatly, which is great, but I do not want her on I/d long term. When I was in a well known dog store over the weekend, Bo and Sunny Obama go there, lol, the owner who is greatly knowledgeable, suggested that I try one of the wellness fish varieties. He said there are two, grain free, and then the other one only has one grain in it and that's barley, which could be soothing to her tummy. He also said that EB's should have moderate protein, and that the fish was less likely to cause an allergy problem. So I guess I want to know if anyone has used the wellness and had success? Or any other insight that might be helpful for Gigi's dilemma? Also, should I keep her on the fortiflora?

PS: If anyone is ever in old town Alexandria, VA, the name of the dog shop is Old Towne School for Dogs. They do a lot of training there, while also having a huge variety of high end foods and toys. Neat place just to check out:) image.jpeg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Poor baby girl… from what I remember Wellness brand had great ratings on the dog advisors website. Whatever you decide I would do a SLOW change in food, over about a week or so… you might want to consider a probiotic to get her immunity back up. I give my pups fat-free greek yogurt in the morning, and Walter gets some probiotic tabs at dinnertime. I will post a pic for you, I get them off Amazon… they have really helped him.

Here is the link...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EUZ9LW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
Jenni23

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Poor baby girl… from what I remember Wellness brand had great ratings on the dog advisors website. Whatever you decide I would do a SLOW change in food, over about a week or so… you might want to consider a probiotic to get her immunity back up. I give my pups fat-free greek yogurt in the morning, and Walter gets some probiotic tabs at dinnertime. I will post a pic for you, I get them off Amazon… they have really helped him.

Here is the link...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EUZ9LW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for replying! I could really use all the help I can get with food and stomach issues. At one point I did try some Fromms grain free and not grain free, it didn't work with her:(. I'm going to try to transition her to the Wellness Core Ocean very slowly. She's coming home tonight with a bag of I/d from her stay at the vet, so I'll just add a tiny bit of the wellness with it. The prebiotic tabs look great, maybe I'll give those a shot since I need to order a slow down bowl from Amazon as well:)

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
If you are not too worried about the high end food label maybe try giving the Southern States Naturals or Grain free line a try? I have my girls on the chicken and barley naturals (wheat, soy, gluten, preservative free) with absolutely no issues. They also offer lamb and rice and for the grain free whitefish and potato. Southern states makes their own food and no recalls not to mention affordable. Just an idea, I hope you can figure it out and she's better soon!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for replying! I could really use all the help I can get with food and stomach issues. At one point I did try some Fromms grain free and not grain free, it didn't work with her:(. I'm going to try to transition her to the Wellness Core Ocean very slowly. She's coming home tonight with a bag of I/d from her stay at the vet, so I'll just add a tiny bit of the wellness with it. The prebiotic tabs look great, maybe I'll give those a shot since I need to order a slow down bowl from Amazon as well:)

Wellness Core is a pretty good food and I remember a member using it with good results. best of luck --- keep us posted and PLEASE keep the pictures of that adorable girl with the freckled ear coming :luv:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So I am having some tummy issues with Gigi. She seems to really be sensitive. On and off over the whole time we've had her, she will have loose poops. Not diarrhea, just soft mush. I know, gross, right? Recently she had her spay and palate surgery and after that her stomach was a complete mess. She ended up having to go back to the vet and have a hernia repaired at her spay incision site, so I mentioned to them that I was having trouble getting her stomach to straighten back out. She's been staying with the vet since Saturday and they have been giving her I/d canned and kibble with fortiflora on top. Yesterday when I spoke to the doctor after her second surgery, he said her stomach had improved greatly, which is great, but I do not want her on I/d long term. When I was in a well known dog store over the weekend, Bo and Sunny Obama go there, lol, the owner who is greatly knowledgeable, suggested that I try one of the wellness fish varieties. He said there are two, grain free, and then the other one only has one grain in it and that's barley, which could be soothing to her tummy. He also said that EB's should have moderate protein, and that the fish was less likely to cause an allergy problem. So I guess I want to know if anyone has used the wellness and had success? Or any other insight that might be helpful for Gigi's dilemma? Also, should I keep her on the fortiflora?

PS: If anyone is ever in old town Alexandria, VA, the name of the dog shop is Old Towne School for Dogs. They do a lot of training there, while also having a huge variety of high end foods and toys. Neat place just to check out:)View attachment 99408

Why don't you just "home cook" and you will resolve tons of issues. Just a thought :)

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Dear Jenni23, my Tank also has the same problem with his stools, and I was told to use probiotics constantly - after a 5 day treatment when I gave it every day, I was told to give it 2 times a week. Recently I was transitioning my boy to adult food and probiotic stuff helped a lot. It is normal to use them on a constant basis, as these bacteria are difficult to plant in one's tummy (the same with people, they recommend us to eat bioyogurt to introduce them). Bulldogs have very sensitive tummies:(. And yes, a slowfeeding bowl is a MUST for bulldog. I am very happy with mine! It improved eating time from 30 sec to 4 min!

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I spent 4 years trying to find a good dog food for Canelo and found that Zignature's Duck Formula works for him. I tried Fromms but Mr. Silk couldn't handle it. Our main issue has been yeast infections on his skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.