socalseminole

Mar 9, 2016
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
See a lot of post about FROMMs food for bulldogs. My puppy is currently 4 months old and trying out foods. I'm shooting for healthy food to get him to around 60 lbs and most important, somewhat solid stools twice a day.

He is currently on Science Diet Large Breed puppy, which I just started. Its decent but the kibble is kind of big and I am worried about him digesting it properly because he kills 1.5 cups in about 1 minute!

Thinking of switching him to Fromms after a while. With Fromms, I should try the pink puppy bag for a few months then switch to the adult Fromms?

Sorry Im posting a lot about food, just trying to find the right mix

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Fromm grain free line is an all stage food so you could go right to one of those, but at 4 mths, puppy food is best. Fromm has a grain free red meat base puppy that Lambeau did great on. Then you can easily change to adult food any time after 8 months of age.

Science Diet is all fillers... you may want to switch sooner than later.

OP
S

socalseminole

Mar 9, 2016
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Fromm grain free line is an all stage food so you could go right to one of those, but at 4 mths, puppy food is best. Fromm has a grain free red meat base puppy that Lambeau did great on. Then you can easily change to adult food any time after 8 months of age.

Science Diet is all fillers... you may want to switch sooner than later.

Yes I got him off that quick! He is currently on plain chicken and rice until his stomach gets better but I ordered the Fromms Large Breed Puppy blue bag. Have you had any experience with that?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I don't know if an English Bulldog is considered a large breed,but I am wondering if you are feeding that because you think it will make him grow bigger? Whatever size his genetics and his "destiny" is,that is what he will be. Poor nutrition can interfere with growth, but overdoing it can also cause problems,as in horses who are pushed to grow too fast. As long as he is fed a nutritionally good food,and a vitamin,perhaps NuVet,or another good choice, he will reach his potential. Some large/small dogs food,is only a difference in the size of the bites. Find a good food,and stick with it. It will be hard on the pup to keep switching.
Mine are both 60+ and I sure wasn't aiming for it! They outgrew their parents..

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes I got him off that quick! He is currently on plain chicken and rice until his stomach gets better but I ordered the Fromms Large Breed Puppy blue bag. Have you had any experience with that?

I used pink bag and the grain free red meat version for Lambeau

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

socalseminole

Mar 9, 2016
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I don't know if an English Bulldog is considered a large breed,but I am wondering if you are feeding that because you think it will make him grow bigger? Whatever size his genetics and his "destiny" is,that is what he will be. Poor nutrition can interfere with growth, but overdoing it can also cause problems,as in horses who are pushed to grow too fast. As long as he is fed a nutritionally good food,and a vitamin,perhaps NuVet,or another good choice, he will reach his potential. Some large/small dogs food,is only a difference in the size of the bites. Find a good food,and stick with it. It will be hard on the pup to keep switching.
Mine are both 60+ and I sure wasn't aiming for it! They outgrew their parents..

Yes, an English bulldog is considered a large breed. But...I am not trying to make my bully big. I'm just trying to find a food that will keep him from have runny stool and going to the bathroom inside. The only thing I found as of now is plain chicken and rice. And I'm trying to move on with training but cant do that because he cant hold anything down but chicken and rice. So this Fromm stuff is new to me. And there are about 50 choices it seems. Some people tell me grain free. Some people say puppy food. If its puppy food, I am assuming large breed puppy food because a bulldog is a large breed puppy. But then some say grain free. I don't know but pictures of the food would help maybe...

OP
S

socalseminole

Mar 9, 2016
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I used pink bag and the grain free red meat version for Lambeau

the pink bag says for puppies or nursing mothers? is it grain free and the large breed puppy blue bag is not grain free?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pink bag of puppy food is not grain free, but the Heartland Gold puppy is grain free.... I was using pink grain bag, then when heartland grain free came out.. I switched to that..... I do not use large breed food for my guys

OP
S

socalseminole

Mar 9, 2016
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Pink bag of puppy food is not grain free, but the Heartland Gold puppy is grain free.... I was using pink grain bag, then when heartland grain free came out.. I switched to that..... I do not use large breed food for my guys

sounds good. I'm following you. Are they males? And whats their age and weight?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Yes, both males Lambeau is 18months and about 55lbs. Cheilos is a French Bulldog, 5 yrs old and about 25 lbs.

my girl,Banks, that past, was 9 yrs old and weighted 62 lbs.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Here is a picture of Lambeau

f22e247e41aea9b24244ddd25826012d.jpg

OP
S

socalseminole

Mar 9, 2016
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yes, both males Lambeau is 18months and about 55lbs. Cheilos is a French Bulldog, 5 yrs old and about 25 lbs.

my girl,Banks, that past, was 9 yrs old and weighted 62 lbs.

sorry to hear. thanks. so you had lambeau on the pink heartland bag as a puppy then switched to adult version after? correct? I think my guy will end up 50-60 lbs

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
sorry to hear. thanks. so you had lambeau on the pink heartland bag as a puppy then switched to adult version after? correct? I think my guy will end up 50-60 lbs

Correct.... He is on grain free Pork and Peas since 8 months of age

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.