Changing a rescue bully's food

RJ Abella

Feb 15, 2015
Hey everyone, I am going to be bringing a 4-5 year old rescue into my home next week and I am getting the house prepared for him. I have asked the organization, who isn't a bulldog specific, what has the foster feeding him and I'm awaiting a response. My question is if the foster has been feeding food that isn't optimal (grain, lots of filler, etc) do I still start out with feeding what he had even though it isn't the best and slowly mix in more and more Orijen (that's what I plan on feeding him). When I met him he did have some visible skin irritations and I'm wondering if the food he has been eating has a big part to do with that, along with a tear stain. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN .... THANK YOU FOR RESCUING!!

You can either do a slow transition to Orijen, like 5-7 days or place him on a bland diet for about .3 days and then switch to the Orijen. Also, keep in mind, he will need some time to settle in to his new home, so he might not eat or might even get the :poo: from nervousness for a few days. if he does, add a little pure pumpkin to his meals to help firm up the poo

Good luck and be sure to post some pictures

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
:hiya::EBNwelcome::nice2meetu: I'm with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I would do bland with pumpkin for a few days and then go to orijen. Congrats and good luck with your new baby! Thanks for adopting him :)

OP
R

RJ Abella

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks for the welcome and advice! Hobbs is now pooping solid since transitioning to Fromms Beef Frittata. Today his poop was solid but getting softer. I will add occasional pumpkin again if necessary.

Another question I have is how long does it take to see if food improves a dogs conditions? It's only been about 5 days since being off a bland diet and Hobbs face looks like this
b640b55237edf9aaff45e6acc2c53199.jpg

Tear stain still looks the same and I realize it will take some time but how much time before I should think about switching foods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks for the welcome and advice! Hobbs is now pooping solid since transitioning to Fromms Beef Frittata. Today his poop was solid but getting softer. I will add occasional pumpkin again if necessary.

Another question I have is how long does it take to see if food improves a dogs conditions? It's only been about 5 days since being off a bland diet and Hobbs face looks like this

Tear stain still looks the same and I realize it will take some time but how much time before I should think about switching foods?

Hi, it can take up to a whole month before you see any changes, benefits or improvements from a food change, because it can take that long for the old food to leave his system.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

About a month for the good results to fully show up... Sometimes a wrong food will have immediate reaction, but the good takes awhile to see.

His chin is acne... Be sure to wipe it dry after he eats and drinks. You can clean with witch hazel or use Stridex pads till cleared up

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
You could also use some probiotic powder packs for pets - usually they are available in pet shops or from vet clinic. It is a combo of beneficial bacteria and enzymes which help digestion and recommended when you make a transition to another food or digestion problems. Usually you give it for 5 days in a row and after that if everything went smooth you give it 1-2 times a week. Healthy guts also important for immune system, and bullies stomachs are weak! May be it could help improve his chin acne faster. I cannot recommend on brand, bcs we stay currently in China and use what is available here, i do not know what they have in the US. May be ask your vet?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.