agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I have 2 sisters Paisley & Nula, I have always fed them with the best food I could buy.
Paisley- feed anything and is ok

Nula- no matter what I fed her her eyes were watery, her ears and folds were always dirty ( even with cleaning once a day )

I have held off going the raw route as my wife is vegetarian,

I have added 1/4 raw to there diet and the results are amazing, clean folds, ears and the eyes have cleared up.

73d8eb55921260a76ed4ce5a1239af31.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
... raw is always the best option for them

she looks fabulous!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Are you buying raw patties, or making the food yourself? I'm considering raw as an option for my crew...

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] - I buy a frozen bag of minced chicken or tripe.
I mix in a hand full with a bit of water, I boil a bag of green veg twice a week for them and mix into there dry food

To go 100% raw my wife would kill me. She moans enough as it is. Typical woman !!!!!!!!!!!
f6f4318b12b22c4a797a0073c04b9cd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Looking great!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Jimmy, I've been avoiding the raw, because I've read that it's so important to handle it right due to the meat being raw and bacteria. You have to wash hands, bowls, and the area where they eat every time to avoid contamination from the bacteria. I have Dozer who is allergic to chicken, salmon, beef, lamb, rabbit and even kangaroo. I've been experimenting with different Limited Ingredient Kibbles like Natural Balance and Go Sensitivity and Shine Venison. Many of his symptoms have improved like the excessive paw licking, his hair has started to grow back on his chest, where he scratched himself raw, but he still has issues with his eyes and his ears. It hasn't completely cleared up. I gave him Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan kibble but he was losing weight due to it having no protein. I started adding non animal proteins to his vegan kibble like kidney beans, scrambled eggs, lentils, and cottage cheese, I feed him this for two weeks, and then I feed him the Go Venison for two weeks, hoping that by switching up the foods, he doesn't get sensitive to the Venison. It's working okay, but not perfect. I saw that they sell frozen venison patties at PetValu, and was thinking of feeding him half kibble and half of the raw patties. Maybe I'll try it to see if it works for him, since you've had success and improvements with your girls.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you, Jimmy, for sharing your knowledge with us
and great results!

I'm very lucky with Cami, not too much allergy issues, some
seasonal issues and then use benedryl. Because of age (8 now)
I started doing as you are doing for nutrition. Would love to do
all raw but can't get out as much to shop, budget constraints &
effort to cut, chop, mix & clean are problems with my constant
fatigue.

So, we all do as best we can and so helpful to share what we do
for ideas that work for our own situations & mutual support.

God bless you & yours, Jimmy...you know I love y'all <3

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The breeder I chit chat with has absolutely beautiful EB. None have issues nor the ancestors as far back she can go. She feeds them raw in the morning and kibbles "free fed" throughout the day. She's the one that convinced me to home cook for Nyala. One of my son has 2 small dogs and a wolf mix with some malamute. He wants to start buying in bulk "raw" meats. He would like me to start Nyala on raw. Im still thinking about it. Im debating lol

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION] HI I plan on starting my 14 mos old male EB on green tripe as a supplement. He eats kibble now 1 1/2 cups in the mornings and evenings. My question is do you add a 1/4 raw each feeding? And where do you buy the bags of raw? Also what type of green veggies are you feeding them? Sorry about all the questions but I just want what's best for my pup and I really think what you are doing will help him. Thanks for sharing!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I also wonder if I should start raw patties. I can't do all home cooking or sorting out raw food, as I really don't have time for that, but I could do prepared raw patties. This may be the answer to Brutus' chronic ear infections. He did great on the honest kitchen which was a prepared raw food, but he lost too much weight.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I also wonder if I should start raw patties. I can't do all home cooking or sorting out raw food, as I really don't have time for that, but I could do prepared raw patties. This may be the answer to Brutus' chronic ear infections. He did great on the honest kitchen which was a prepared raw food, but he lost too much weight.

We did raw patties for Tyson, Stella & Chewys - then they had a listeria recall and he got super sick. Excessive vomiting, it was horrible. I love The Honest Kitchen which he's been on now for a while, its great and he does so well on it. I know you said he lost weight on it, but what if you increased the amount?

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We did raw patties for Tyson, Stella & Chewys - then they had a listeria recall and he got super sick. Excessive vomiting, it was horrible. I love The Honest Kitchen which he's been on now for a while, its great and he does so well on it. I know you said he lost weight on it, but what if you increased the amount?
The problem with that is it is expensive to begin with and increasing the amount would be crazy. I also had frankie on it because buying and storing all different kinds of dog food got crazy. now with the puppy, I would need a loan to give all three of them the honest kitchen. lol Stella and Chewy was the brand I was looking to get for them because they have a duck protien that Brutus needs. I guess I wont be ordering that. any other raw patty you can recommend?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
The problem with that is it is expensive to begin with and increasing the amount would be crazy. I also had frankie on it because buying and storing all different kinds of dog food got crazy. now with the puppy, I would need a loan to give all three of them the honest kitchen. lol Stella and Chewy was the brand I was looking to get for them because they have a duck protien that Brutus needs. I guess I wont be ordering that. any other raw patty you can recommend?

Did you see how much the Stella & Chewy's cost? Its expensive too!!! I think I was spending more on it than I am now on the honest kitchen. I am doing the base mix on the honest kitchen they I cook up 3 lbs of lean ground beef, and add some with each meal :)

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Did you see how much the Stella & Chewy's cost? Its expensive too!!! I think I was spending more on it than I am now on the honest kitchen. I am doing the base mix on the honest kitchen they I cook up 3 lbs of lean ground beef, and add some with each meal :)
I can't do the base mix because of Brutus' allergies. I have to give him a novel protien. THK had the duck base but for a 10lb box, it was $100. Right now I feed them all Fromm Hasenduckenpheffer which is grain free, duck and rabbit protien and is $69. A 20 something pound bag of Stella & Chewy duck formula is $40 something (I can't remember exactly) so my monthly expense would be around $200 for all three bullies. I'm just not sure if i'm comfortable giving it after a recall. What do you think?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I can't do the base mix because of Brutus' allergies. I have to give him a novel protien. THK had the duck base but for a 10lb box, it was $100. Right now I feed them all Fromm Hasenduckenpheffer which is grain free, duck and rabbit protien and is $69. A 20 something pound bag of Stella & Chewy duck formula is $40 something (I can't remember exactly) so my monthly expense would be around $200 for all three bullies. I'm just not sure if i'm comfortable giving it after a recall. What do you think?

Sadly, its not the first recall they have had. Tyson did great while he was on it, but the recall, and him getting so badly sick made me never go back :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.