Interesting theory regarding copper in dog kibble...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm working w/a behaviorist to find a cause for Walter's aggression issues… as many of you already know. What is interesting about Nikki is that she looks at the ENTIRE picture of the dog, food they are eating, supplements, environment, etc...

I have been feeding Walter Fromm's from the beginning, and Nikki said that Fromm's is a great dog food. HOWEVER there is a theory stating that copper can cause aggressive behavior in dogs, the percentages of copper should be in the 11-14% range. Most Fromm's kibble is the 20% percent range… he's eating Pork & Applesauce now which ranges in 21%. She said the best way to control copper levels is to feed raw, or look for another kibble that has low percentages. I'm NOT opposed to feeding raw, I'm just not sure I have the time or expertise to do it myself. I was feeding Roxie the frozen raw patties which she seemed to enjoy so I may go that route again…

I'm NOT a food guru at all, so I wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone has heard this theory, or if you have any ideas what would be a good alternative for Walter. I appreciate ANY feedback on this… Thank YOU!!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well for crap sakes Tracey, I switched the boys over to Fromm Hasen Duckenpheffer (whatever, ya know the duck and rabbit formula)! lol, but now I have to worry about this??? Brutus does NOT need any help being a little JERK!!!! :faint::nervous:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
A person can't win it seems! I guess it's best to quit as many things as possible that can add to the aggressiveness but seriously... it sucks not knowing exactly what causes it:(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Interesting.... gonna have to do some reading and ask my vet about it as he loves this kind of stuff (theories, that is)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Interesting.... gonna have to do some reading and ask my vet about it as he loves this kind of stuff (theories, that is)

Well let me know, I haven't had a chance to talk to my vet about this yet. THEN I guess the food search begins… :facepalm2:

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Well that explains why Hershey gets all crazy after he eats pennies!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.