Help Needed! help with food brand and amount

rufasim

Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hey all. We just got our little girl Bella Saturday and have some feeding questions. the breeder was feeding her Canadai dog food, but can't seem to find it. Was feeding it to her and her mom. I want to switch over to Science Diet, used that for my lab when he was alive. Also, the breeder said to feed her 1/2 a cup, twice a day. To me that doesn't seem like that much. She finishes it and appears to still be hungry and has not moved her bowels as of today. She is 12 weeks old and I think I want to increase her feedings to either 1/2 cup, twice or 3/4 cup three times a day. What say you all. I have been slowly transitioning over to the science diet.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=15760]rufasim[/MENTION] I would def increase amount at least up to 3/4 cups 3 times a day. Up until a month ago I fed my pup 1 cup 3 times a day. We now give him 1 1/2 cups twice a day, still getting 3 cups a day. We've had him on this amount since we bought him home at 8 wks of age. He is now 8 months old and according to our vet he is at a good weight.
Hope this helps!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey all. We just got our little girl Bella Saturday and have some feeding questions. the breeder was feeding her Canadai dog food, but can't seem to find it. Was feeding it to her and her mom. I want to switch over to Science Diet, used that for my lab when he was alive. Also, the breeder said to feed her 1/2 a cup, twice a day. To me that doesn't seem like that much. She finishes it and appears to still be hungry and has not moved her bowels as of today. She is 12 weeks old and I think I want to increase her feedings to either 1/2 cup, twice or 3/4 cup three times a day. What say you all. I have been slowly transitioning over to the science diet.

Here's the best website for dog food, recalls, what/how to feed your dog. Personally I wouldn't go with Science. 3/4 to 1cup 3x per day is best but try to get either Orijen acana, fromm. I personally rather have my dogs on grain free only but some will like a bit of rice etc.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Personally would not put her on science diet. Bullies are extremely different from labs, with much higher sensitivities. You want to choose something grain free, with no chicken if possible. Bullies tend to have very high allergies towards grains & chicken. Also, I would go with a higher star food... please see this post regarding dog food ratings. It will give you a great list, where you can find something that works for you!

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

Also good way to think of quality, if you can purchase the food at a Walmart, grocery store, etc. Chances are its not good quality. You want to go with a specialty pets place, and I know that Petco & Petsmart are starting to carry the higher quality foods now. Canidae is a pretty decent one, rated 5 stars. Try to see if you can go with something 4 or higher.

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
All great info. Which Fromm's food do you use?
We use Fromm 4 star Beef Frittata Veggie. It is an all stages food and it is grain free. The plus is that there are a few different flavors in the 4 star grain free and we can switch them out giving some variety. Both my English and Frenchie are on it and doing well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter

You have to do a trial and error which your bully favors.

I feed gamebird, and lamb and lentil.

I tried the others: salmon and tunalini, pork and peas (my bulldog started scratching). He also did not care particularly for the beef frittata.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik

I switch between the Beef Frittata & Pork & Peas. These are all of the grain free brands:
Grain Free Pork and Peas
Grain Free Lamb & Lentil
Grain Free Beef Frittata Veg
Grain Free Hasen Duckenpfeffer

With Fromm, if the food doesn't agree with them (look for ear infections, yeasty red ears, irritated skin or chin). You can return and exchange the whole bag of food; that is why I bought from the pet store instead of online for the first couple of bags. You can also switch in between the same line without having to mix food for a bit. They also have a buy 11 or 12 and get 1 free so save your UPCs.

This is a re-post from 2BullyMama for food amount, but I don't know how to make it a table.
8 weeks 1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks 2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months 3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year 1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I know a lot of people here use Fromm (which I hadn't heard of before here) but my girl is 11 months and we have her on a new brand through Southern States called Naturals. They have Chicken and Pea and Lamb and Rice and it is wheat/corn/gluten/preservative free with real products. It is affordable too at $34 for a 40lb bag. So far so good with my girl however I agree with the others, if you start to see signs of allergies then it may be time for a switch. This brand of food is new but also easy to get in person. They don't make it in puppy though yet so that may be a problem.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, it looks like everyone has you covered and has given you excellent advice. I just wanted to welcome you and Harley to the site. Please share some pictures of your baby, I look forward to,seeing more of you on here.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
great advice given by the gang! good luck

OP
R

rufasim

Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Follow up. Decided to go with blue wilderness rocky mountain blend. Beef instead of chicken.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.