rkneeshaw

Mar 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Edna
Edna joined our family probably about 2 months ago, and we've fallen in love with her.

IMG_20160323_1052519.jpg

On day 1 I didn't know any better and bought her Iams puppy food. She LOVED that food and devoured every single bite with every feeding. But her body didn't seem to like it nearly as much as her tongue, and she quickly got diarrhea, explosive at times, and it just wouldn't clear after several days. Thanks to some great advice here, we moved her onto browned hamburger, rice, and pure pumpkin for a couple days and things firmed up right away, and then I slowly put her on Taste of the Wild prairie formula for puppies. Her stools are very solid, and regular, and big for the past 4-5 weeks.

But... she'll only eat about 4 bites and walk away. Then come back a half hour later and have a few more bites. It's like she eats because she absolutely has to. Like how I would eat if someone fed me raw broccoli for every meal. Yuck. I'd eat only because it was one step better than tree bark.

So I ordered some TOTW pacific stream puppy formula to see if she would like that better, but no real change. She maybe eats 5 bites and walks away.

The breeder we bought her from used Fromm, but i"m not sure whether it was Gold (which seems to have grain in it) or the heartland grain free stuff.

I'd like her to enjoy her meals, so I'm thinking I'll switch to Fromm Gold and see how she likes it. It seems pretty legendary around here. I'm assuming its a food that is of high enough quality that the not-grain-free thing isn't an issue.

Anyone else have similar experience with TOTW?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Had Nyala for 4 months now. She was free fed so her bowl was always full. 2-3 cups per day but she would always leave a cup. She ate when she wanted which was fine. Nothing is wrong with that. But if I would take example like a piece of cheese cut it up in mini pieces teaspoon mix it with her kibbles, she would eat the whole bowl in one shot. She on home cooking now and trust me she sure emptys her bowl.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Most of the time, mine is interested in food, but I have had it when he runs back and forth between food and me. I have added chicken baby food (not anymore because he is sensitive to chicken), coconut oil, pumpkin, greek yogurt, rice; he gulps all of that down except for the rice. I also only let him eat for 15 minutes and take it away. So maybe an additive or structured eating time would help you. Mine is currently on Fromm Beef because it is an all stages food.

Good luck getting your bully to eat.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I feed my puppy Fromm's puppy gold… she loves her food. And her brother's… Lol

I have not use TOTW for my dogs, but it's a highly rated food. Bullies can sometimes become bored w/their kibble, you can try adding a couple of tablespoons of warm water or broth to see if that stirs up the appetite. IF you do a change of kibble, make sure to do it slowly over several days to avoid stomach upset.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Sounds like she just doesn't like the taste! It will probably be trial and error to find one she likes and that agrees with her. Luckily Monty will eat ANYTHING I put in front of him, unfortunately, it doesn't always agree with him. It's been a learning curve!

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Mine are on TOTW Pine Forest. They love it. But haven't been very picky eaters... Ever. I also mix in a vitamin supplement , yogurt in the AM and coconut oil in the PM. They have also has FROMM puppy Gold and loved it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rkneeshaw

Mar 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Edna
We switched her to Fromm Heartland puppy chow and she's doing a little better with it. She definitely likes it when I mix in some plain greek yogurt, there's not a single nibble of food left in that bowl when I do that.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you for updating us and great to hear she's enjoying her Fromm's chow :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We switched her to Fromm Heartland puppy chow and she's doing a little better with it. She definitely likes it when I mix in some plain greek yogurt, there's not a single nibble of food left in that bowl when I do that.

Good to hear she is back to liking it.... They can be little stinkers at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.