Thinking about switching chunk's food and need opinions?

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I am thinking about switching chunky's food to see if he will stop shedding so much. He is now on Fromm Beef Frittata on a regular basis but I have switched fromm foods to see which he would like best and this ones his favorite and he seems to shed less while eating it. He shed while on Orijen puppy but it wasn't as bad so I am wanting to figure out whether there is something missing in his diet or whether something is in Fromm his body doesn't except or is allergic too that causes him to shed so much.

Thought about trying this and whats your opinions?

Acana appalachian ranch:
Appalachian Ranch | ACANA Pet Foods

This is fromm beef frittata:
Beef Frittata Veg Dog Food - Technical Analysis

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sometimes, it could just be something in how the food is processed that makes the difference and not necessarily the ingredients itself.

keep in mind too, right now dogs are going to start blowing their coats which is otherwise known as 'shedding season' so you may be starting to see an increase

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi
getting the correct food that agrees with a bulldog can be as hard as naming your baby.
some folk fall lucky while others take months of years trying to get the best supplement that agrees with your dog.

If it don't work for your dog change it but please do the transition over 3 or 4 weeks to allow your dog to get used to it.
Most times changing overnight can bring all sorts of troubles.
Slow is the key

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
He has shed a lot since November which was about the time I switched from orijen puppy to fromm foods

I thought he was just shedding his summer coat at first but it's been consistent

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He has shed a lot since November which was about the time I switched from orientation puppy to fromm foods

I thought he was just shedding his summer coat at first but it's been consistent

:ponder: If it is that consistent, could be worth a switch back to Orijen. I tagged Lisa for her insight... she'll be along soon

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There are supplements that help with shedding, if you do not want to switch foods. They have some on Chewy.com. The vet I worked for years ago was losing his hair, and he started taking them,and he stopped shedding so much:ROFL:and kept bragging about it!

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
There are supplements that help with shedding, if you do not want to switch foods. They have some on Chewy.com. The vet I worked for years ago was losing his hair, and he started taking them,and he stopped shedding so much:ROFL:and kept bragging about it!

I might have to share some with Chunky then!! LOL

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well no matter what a bulldog will shed, and some bulldogs just have more hair and lose more hair- and remember that twice a year they blow out their coat completely. Molly doesn't shed nearly as much as Jesse- but Molly drools more so :rofl:

Both of those foods are a great choice, but if you are really trying to decrease shedding or get a handle on it, you can try adding salmon or coconut oil, 1 tsp per day to their food, get a kong zoom groom and give a good brushing, and try not too bathe too often but instead do a good wipe down with a wet cloth on the fur, you will be amazed at how much fun comes off with dirt! :blink:

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Well no matter what a bulldog will shed, and some bulldogs just have more hair and lose more hair- and remember that twice a year they blow out their coat completely. Molly doesn't shed nearly as much as Jesse- but Molly drools more so :rofl:

Both of those foods are a great choice, but if you are really trying to decrease shedding or get a handle on it, you can try adding salmon or coconut oil, 1 tsp per day to their food, get a kong zoom groom and give a good brushing, and try not too bathe too often but instead do a good wipe down with a wet cloth on the fur, you will be amazed at how much fun comes off with dirt! :blink:

Thanks i will get a kong zoom groom and see how that work and I brush him twice a day now and his fur is thick. I also wipe him down with wipes every couple of days and only bathe him every 3-4 weeks after he starts stinking or sooner if he's gotten muddy.

I just hate that everyone who pets him has fur all over them afterwards and my house which has dark floors and furniture looks like I never clean because of white hair everywhere.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I know it gets so annoying. Is he taking Nuvet plus too or no? You're brushing him good and wiping down, bathing properly.... The oil and / or Nuvet should really help, but you may be stuck with it. If so, try to embrace it. I saw a post before that says "this isn't dog hair on my shirt, it's bulldog glitter" [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Yeah he is on NuVet Plus and was when I got him as a pup.

I might try coconut oil and see how that works since he doesn't have loose stool or any other problems with the Fromm Beef Frittata

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Salmon or Cod liver oil n coconut oil will help alot. Also this is MY belief, I never washed a dog that often. I just got Nyala but my GD only 1x per summer outside with the hose n shampoo. Throughout the summer n fall was water only or he jumped in rivers etc. But every time he would get wet he would lose tons of hair. Try washing less see what happens and like 3x per week. I use the wipes 2-3x a week and rub her with coconut oil, ears n tail is done daily. And yes my GS was on adult orijen as of 6 months old. Just a thought :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.