Help Needed! too lazy to eat?

Kucha

Feb 10, 2013
Country
Tokyo Japan
Bulldog(s) Names
Kucha
My little Kucha is 3,5 years old, 24kgs.
She is holding the same weight in the last two years.
Feeding her with 120g of Orijen adult and Orijen 6 fish mix, twice a day, (240g or 8,4oz per day)with a spoon of yogurt on top.
2-3 times a week she just doesn't want to eat, even with her favorite snack (grilled sweet potato) on top.
My vet told me probably she is just adjusting her eating...

Do I need to worry, do I need get her check?
Any advice, would be appreciated. IMG_0318.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is a great looking girl.... so pretty!

Sometimes, they go through phases of being picky. Does she not eat all day or just one of the meals? Any other changes to her behavior or weight?

OP
Kucha

Kucha

Feb 10, 2013
Country
Tokyo Japan
Bulldog(s) Names
Kucha
She is keeping her weight, and shows no other sign.
Usually eats dinner, but breakfasts are often left on the plate.
I have tried to leave it out for her all day, but she will not touch it.
I replace it with fresh for dinner and she will eat it.
No idea why.
240g food feels not much at all even with the few treats she have between meals.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
She looks great to me. I wouldn't worry as long as she's eating in general, and not showing any other signs of distress.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is keeping her weight, and shows no other sign.
Usually eats dinner, but breakfasts are often left on the plate.
I have tried to leave it out for her all day, but she will not touch it.
I replace it with fresh for dinner and she will eat it.
No idea why.
240g food feels not much at all even with the few treats she have between meals.

As long as everything else is good, weight staying on and she is eating one full meal with treats... I would not be too concerned. keep an eye on here... anything changes and be sure to have the vet give her a check up

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I love her outfit.

What does she do when she is not eating? Sometimes mine just wants to cuddle with me instead of eat, so he will run back and forth between his bowl. In those cases I find petting him or hand feeding him will get him to finish his bowl. I have a 15 minute rule and anything he doesn't eat in that time frame gets taken away.

Why not take the remainder of what you have in the bowl and do some training? I usually conserve about 1/4 cup of my dog's breakfast to either do training or put in an interactive ball when I leave. Or you could give less in the mornings and more in the evenings.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Feeding her with 120g of Orijen adult and Orijen 6 fish mix, twice a day, (240g or 8,4oz per day)with a spoon of yogurt on top.
2-3 times a week she just doesn't want to eat, even with her favorite snack (grilled sweet potato) on top.

Any advice, would be appreciated.View attachment 97466

Just curious, are you the only one who feeds Kucha? Ive always fed my dogs orijen great food but 2 cups per day plus other snacks. Kucha is 52lbs, great weight and a good looking bully too. Maybe that's all she needs. If she's still active, eating, drinking and happy, well there you go. Like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said, any changes have the vet check her which is best advise you can get. :)

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Maybe she would prefer one larger meal at night only? My family dog was like that, never wanted to eat in the morning just at night. Something to consider..

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

Any advice, would be appreciated.View attachment 97466

Skipping 2-3 meals out of 14 is not a big deal if there is no associated weight loss.
Maybe your dog decided to cut back and is giving you a hint.
When she does not eat, try giving her a fruit (banana or watermelon) to keep yourself sane.
Cheers,
Raghu

OP
Kucha

Kucha

Feb 10, 2013
Country
Tokyo Japan
Bulldog(s) Names
Kucha
Unless I am away, I am the one feeding her every day.
Although she is my son's dog, and he promised to take care of her, walk her, feed her, pick up after her, for whatever reason, I am the one who does all of it :)
She is a happy dog, I wouldn't say "active" as she hates the walks. It's a struggle every morning to drag her around the corner. She is running though when I say we are going for a drive :)

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe she would prefer one larger meal at night only? My family dog was like that, never wanted to eat in the morning just at night. Something to consider..

Good idea, will try it. Thanks

OP
Kucha

Kucha

Feb 10, 2013
Country
Tokyo Japan
Bulldog(s) Names
Kucha
Thank you all for reassuring my thoughts, and for the great ideas.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.