socalseminole

Mar 9, 2016
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi all. I lost my English bulldog about 2 years ago and have been out of the loop since then. I found a lot of good information on this site before and was hoping for some more advice. I will be getting a puppy again in 2 weeks.

Currently, the breeder has the puppy on Blue Chicken and Brown rice and seems to be doing well.

My last dog was fed Simply Nourish Chicken and Brown rice from Petsmart. I would also give him a scoop of cottage cheese on top. He seemed to do well on that but shed quite a bit.

I'm looking for good alternatives that provide somewhat solid stool and decreases shedding? I have heard about fish oil and was wondering if I should add fish oil to food (pills) or get a fish-flavored food?

Would also like to know how the current Costco brand foods are for puppies and bullies in general? Thanks in advance.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Many of us on here buy Fromm's for our bullies, but a great site to check is Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor. They will give you some great advice on the best dog foods and what might work w/your budget. I have also used Earthborne Holistic and Orijen. For solid stools I add a probiotic to my males kibble, and I also add salmon oil. It helps w/digestion and the shedding… some members like to give their dogs coconut oil although my Wally seems allergic to it. You can also give your dogs greek yogurt, mine get a tablespoon w/their breakfast kibble.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi all. I lost my English bulldog about 2 years ago and have been out of the loop since then. I found a lot of good information on this site before and was hoping for some more advice. I will be getting a puppy again in 2 weeks.

Currently, the breeder has the puppy on Blue Chicken and Brown rice and seems to be doing well.

My last dog was fed Simply Nourish Chicken and Brown rice from Petsmart. I would also give him a scoop of cottage cheese on top. He seemed to do well on that but shed quite a bit.

I'm looking for good alternatives that provide somewhat solid stool and decreases shedding? I have heard about fish oil and was wondering if I should add fish oil to food (pills) or get a fish-flavored food?

Would also like to know how the current Costco brand foods are for puppies and bullies in general? Thanks in advance.

DDNENE said it bang on! For Costco brand heard it's good but take the Nature's Domain brand and also the make one organic the green bag. But DO NOT take the Kirkland brand. 89 dogs died on that brand. That's my opinion. And WELCOME !!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Hi and Welcome Back. I'm sorry for the loss of your baby. I'm sure you're excited to be getting a new puppy, it's hard getting over the loss, but we also miss having these beautiful dogs in our life. Are you getting a make or a female? Any names picked? Tracey has you covered and has given you excellent advice. I feed our female Blossom Fromms Lamb and Lentil, but had to switch our male because of allergies. He's been on a few different proteins of the Fromms, but is allergic to chicken, salmon, beef, lamb and now rabbit and kangaroo as well. I put him on a Limited Ingredient Vegan kibble with non animal proteins such as cottage cheese scrambled egg, and kidney beans, for a month to detoxify him of all proteins and then I tried the novel proteins, like rabbit and kangaroo, but he was allergic to those as well. We tried Go sensitivity and Shine Venison, and he did well on it, so now im alternating between the Go and Cavier Limited Ingredient Venison, so he doesn't get used to one brand and develop an allergy. He's doing a lot better, and his eyes are much clearer and his fur has grown back on chest. I'm not familiar with the Costco brand of foods, so can't give you any advice on them. You can check out the Dog food ratings on the home page as Tracey mentioned. I give our guys plain yogurt on their morning kibble for the probiotics and digestion, and I add Coconut Oil to their evening kibble for the Omegas. I can't use the salmon oil because they are both allergic to it. I'm excited for you to get your new baby, and hope to see more of you on here, and please share lots of pictures.

OP
S

socalseminole

Mar 9, 2016
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
thanks for the welcoming and all the replies. Keep them coming! Vikinggirl, you sound like you been through a lot with your pups! I will be picking up my male bulldog in a few weeks. I will post pictures. Thanks again

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Many of us on here buy Fromm's for our bullies, but a great site to check is Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor. They will give you some great advice on the best dog foods and what might work w/your budget. I have also used Earthborne Holistic and Orijen. For solid stools I add a probiotic to my males kibble, and I also add salmon oil. It helps w/digestion and the shedding… some members like to give their dogs coconut oil although my Wally seems allergic to it. You can also give your dogs greek yogurt, mine get a tablespoon w/their breakfast kibble.

good info ^^^^ :up:

Most Reactions