Probiotics Needed with Orijen/Acana?

spectacularone

Apr 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winni, Hank, Otis
My dogs have been doing fairly well on Nature's Domain salmon from Costco but their stools have been a little loose and I have been reading how wonderful Acana/Orijen is. I went to the store and got 6 Fish and the Puppy for my smaller guy and they LOVE it. Going to give it 3 or 4 months and see how we do on it.

I have also been thinking of adding either yogurt or a probiotic and I see that FROMM already has that in their food. As expensive as Orijen/Acana is, I can't really buy an additional supplement without going completely broke :) Do people add probiotics or yogurt to it?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Wally has a low immune system so along w/his Fromm's kibble I add fat-free greek yogurt in the morning, and I also give him a probiotic at night. It has made a huge difference in his skin & stools… but I understand the cost issue. Start w/the yogurt, that is a pretty cheap option and give them a trial run.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
I have been worried about the long term effects of so many antibiotics with Frith-- first a UTI and then 2 months of pneumonia. She has been on antibiotics wiping out the good stuff for most of her life. Through research I came across this article on Green Tripe that states: "this means your dog gets the most nutritional benefit from his meals. Digestive enzymes also do much more than aid in digestion: they purify and cleanse the blood and remove toxins, parasites and fungus. They also improve metabolism, hormonal function and boost the immune system"

whole article here: The Stink On Tripe- For Your Dog - Dogs Naturally Magazine

Anyway--yesterday I found Green Cow Beef Tripe--but it is canned, and the article states--do not cook. So, I am not sure if it is the way to go or not. It sure smelled bad, and I had both dogs and four cats at my feet within seconds of opening the can though--they all wanted some. Caution though--the canned version has potato in it.

I have used nonfat plain greek yogurt, but with pneumonia I cut out the dairy. So, I just use a probiotic supplement. Her stools are better since we got the probiotic supplement--they do not smell like her food. So, I assume she is digesting more of what she eats.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can use plain yogurt or Keifer as a probiotic ...... I use Pet kelp, a small bag is about 12.00 and last a few months.

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
My dogs have been doing fairly well on Nature's Domain salmon from Costco but their stools have been a little loose and I have been reading how wonderful Acana/Orijen is. I went to the store and got 6 Fish and the Puppy for my smaller guy and they LOVE it. Going to give it 3 or 4 months and see how we do on it.

I have also been thinking of adding either yogurt or a probiotic and I see that FROMM already has that in their food. As expensive as Orijen/Acana is, I can't really buy an additional supplement without going completely broke :) Do people add probiotics or yogurt to it?

If you are looking for a cheap source of probiotic, you cannot go wrong with greek yogurt or plain old curd.
Check if your dogs can handle dairy first. Some dogs don't handle it well enough.
If you have any Indian/Pakistani friends in your area, just ask them how to make curd or "dahi" from milk at home.
You can make it very easily at home for a fraction of cost of greek yogurt.
Cheers,
Raghu

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
We started our 6 month old puppy on Orijen puppy when he was around 9 weeks, we add Greek yogurt to his morning kibble for probiotics. Also from what I have read the Greek yogurt helps with tear strains. We struggled with the transition from the old food to Orijen, if your EB are anything like our broly just make sure and do a really slow transition. We love Orijen and in my opinion you get what you pay for and I have yet to hear anything negative about Orijen, besides that it might give your bully some gas haha.
P.S Orijen has a loyalty program make sure and do that:)

OP
spectacularone

spectacularone

Apr 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winni, Hank, Otis
We started our 6 month old puppy on Orijen puppy when he was around 9 weeks, we add Greek yogurt to his morning kibble for probiotics. Also from what I have read the Greek yogurt helps with tear strains. We struggled with the transition from the old food to Orijen, if your EB are anything like our broly just make sure and do a really slow transition. We love Orijen and in my opinion you get what you pay for and I have yet to hear anything negative about Orijen, besides that it might give your bully some gas haha.
P.S Orijen has a loyalty program make sure and do that:)

Got some plain yogurt and have been mixing it in yesterday and today. We have 3 bullies and one is on puppy, one on six fish (he's 1 year) and I just ordered the senior for my 8 year old but it does have chicken so I'm hoping she doesn't have any issues with that. She's always been on Nature's Domain salmon from Costco before and it's honestly been a pretty good food for her. They love the taste of Orijen, devour it!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty is on Acana and I give him plain Kefir with his meals (99% lactose free).

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Honestly the amount of Probiotics in Fromms is probably negligible so I wouldn't make a decision based on just that. You're better off just buying a probiotic that contains enzymes and prebiotics.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.