homecook portions

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
What portion should meat be? Like one cup of meat one of veggie?

Looking everywhere not so clear. Cheers

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
When I home cook I don't really measure, I mostly just eyeball. If it's ground beef/meat, i'll eyeball about a couple tablespoons of meat, 1/2cup veggies, 1/2 to 1 cup rice. If I'm watching their weights then i'll cut back on the rice and increase the veggies to 1 cup.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
When I home cook I don't really measure, I mostly just eyeball. If it's ground beef/meat, i'll eyeball about a couple tablespoons of meat, 1/2cup veggies, 1/2 to 1 cup rice. If I'm watching their weights then i'll cut back on the rice and increase the veggies to 1 cup.

Oh I give a lot more meat. Maybe too much from I see. No wonder she's happy lolll

One portion: 1/2 plus of meat like ground turkey, 1/2 plus of veggies all packed as one cup 2x per day

I dont give her rice or any starch. Once per day cranberry extract, salmon oil, calcium/D mixed with yogurt.

From all I read seems its 40% meat 50% % Veggie, 10% fat

But a few said 50/50 Hmmmmm I will be calling the breeder as seems she feed raw and or home cooking. Will keep posted

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Oh I give a lot more meat. Maybe too much from I see. No wonder she's happy lolll

One portion: 1/2 plus of meat like ground turkey, 1/2 plus of veggies all packed as one cup 2x per day

I dont give her rice or any starch. Once per day cranberry extract, salmon oil, calcium/D mixed with yogurt.

From all I read seems its 40% meat 50% % Veggie, 10% fat

But a few said 50/50 Hmmmmm I will be calling the breeder as seems she feed raw and or home cooking. Will keep posted

If you are willing to cross the fence, start feeding raw. It depends on how reliable your source of meat is.
Raw minced meat with raw chicken/turkey neck, back, wings, breast bones will give all the nutrition your dog needs.
Or you can go the raw-meat-and-bone method. Calcium from animal bone is very much required by dogs.
If feeding raw, keep it to 2-3% of dog's intended weight per day, depending on activity level.

Cheers,
Raghu

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
If you are willing to cross the fence, start feeding raw. It depends on how reliable your source of meat is.
Raw minced meat with raw chicken/turkey neck, back, wings, breast bones will give all the nutrition your dog needs.
Or you can go the raw-meat-and-bone method. Calcium from animal bone is very much required by dogs.
If feeding raw, keep it to 2-3% of dog's intended weight per day, depending on activity level.

Cheers,
Raghu

I'm tempting to go raw. I want to see how she finds home cooking. Naturally all dogs rather have home cooking n raw than kibbles for sure. Its a bit more work but heh, my moto is, you want a pet, take care of it. Just she doesn't drink water. I know home cooking has moisture but still needs to drink sometime in the day. I add a good cup of boiled water to her meals so she gets a broth and some water in the day. :)

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I went with raw for a few reasons:
- kibble was causing all kinds of immunity issues resulting in pyoderma very often for my older dog (boxer)
- kibble was making me pickup loads of messy poop
- kibble was making him stink of doggie odor and dog's breath within a week
After switching to raw-meat-and-bone
- general health improved; coat became shiny
- hardly any messy poop to pick up
- virtually no odor; my couches are thanking me silently
- weight control

My EB has been on raw mainly since she turned 6 months. Before that it was boiled mostly with bits of raw.
She is a true scavenger in the house; will eat anything.
When my wife or I are in the kitchen she is always lurking around in the hope that she gets something.
- veggies, fruit, bread ends, cheese, a lick of butter, cashew/almonds, whatever

For me the biggest advantage is no preparation required.
I usually buy food for 3-4 days, get it cut at the butcher into medium size pieces (large enough to discourage gulping).
Weigh it into individual containers per meal and store in the fridge.
Come meal time, just dunk into the bowl. Since it is mostly hot in India, I don't even have to bring it to room temp.
Anybody in the house can take care of the feeding.
With raw, even water consumption is taken care of. My EB drinks about 200 ml of water separately everyday.

Cheers,
Raghu

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.