Disinterest in food or is it time for a diet?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I currently feed Fezzik 1.5 cups of Fromm Pork & Pea for breakfast and dinner. As supplements he gets green beans as treats and pureed pumpkin, greek yogurt, & coconut oil as fillers from time to time. Lately he hasn't been eating as vigorously. He shows a disinterest in food, but will be more interested in it when we are in the room and he runs back and forth between us and eating food. The bag of food is 3/4 gone.

So that leaves me to if he doesn't like the food, he just wants attention, or is just getting fed too much and needs a diet. Any suggestions? Currently I am thinking of reducing food to 1 cup at meals especially since I have noticed that he is starting to get fatter rather than grow. He will be a year old this month and I think he has finally stopped growing as fast.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep, he is due to be cut back ...... I would cut him back to 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I agree with above, I'm feeding my almost 1 year old 1 cup in the AM/PM and she is a great weight. However she would probably eat the whole bag if I let her!

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Ugg I wish I hadn't misspelled food in the title.

Thanks for letting me know I am on the right track.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I give both of mine 1c am/pm. They also get treats when they get crated, baby carrots through the day and other fruits/ meats depending on what I'm fixing up. Both are great weight and can see their "figure" when looking directly down on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Did you fix it? Or am I just seeing things?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:drink:Salut! If my dogs turned down food-to the vet they would go!!:blah:

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I do have a check up next week for his face irritation, but I think I have been feeding him too much. Or I can add his pumpkin, greek yogurt, or coconut oil to that and he will scarf it down. I usually give those as an after breakfast snack and he licks the bowl clean.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] what are you using for food bowls and how often do you clean them out? We were having 'chin acne' issues and they are starting to get better cleaning the bowls after each meal and wiping with duoxo wipes a couple times a day. Good luck :)

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I use stainless steel bowls and he gets a clean bowl every time he eats. I clean his water bowls once a day and put some apple cider vinegar in it. I wipe his face with a baby wipe and witch hazel after he eats. He still has pink chin and cracks it open from time to time, but it is much better.

I have cut back to 1 cup of food for breakfast and dinner. He is eating with more vigor and his figure has gotten slimmer already. I think that I was feeding him too much and that he also likes to be social with his food and have us in the room.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.