cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor has a new hobby - he is eating twigs and chewing on branches. Perhaps nutritious but the problem is that he sometimes throws up.

He's not much of a chewer indoors but perhaps he needs something to chew on. The problem is that he's on allergy food, so for the time being meat bones and all types of treats are out. We're going to get a nylabone but he's not really a big fan of them, and kongs etc he's not into at all (unless filled but that's out of the question right now). So is there any other kind of chew I'm not thinking of that would be worth trying?

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
Murphy likes to chew on his rope toys. He has 4 of them.
Next venture is to get a jolly ball with the rope attached.
He also has different Star Wars toys that he sucks on and chews at.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
I know you said food allergies, but what about frozen or semi frozen carrots, sweet potatoes. Make them large enough to eliminate choking hazzard. There are a few places online that talk about this naturalmchew alternative.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What about deer, elk or moose antlers? Can you get them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks for your response! Much appreciated!

@Kimberlie Castor did like rope toys as a pup - we could try that again!
@Frith I'm hesitant to try veggies as he's on this allergy diet for the time being and I suspect he might be allergic to potato as that is one ingredient he's had in most of his foods over the years.
@2BullyMama Castor did have a very heavy antler that he used to chew on from time to time but we actually had to take it away as he kept dropping it on the floor which wasn't nice for our downstairs neighbours! But now we have our own house, antlers will be great when it's time to test different proteins again! Or do you think he could try that even though he's on allergy food?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for your response! Much appreciated!

@Kimberlie Castor did like rope toys as a pup - we could try that again!
@Frith I'm hesitant to try veggies as he's on this allergy diet for the time being and I suspect he might be allergic to potato as that is one ingredient he's had in most of his foods over the years.
@2BullyMama Castor did have a very heavy antler that he used to chew on from time to time but we actually had to take it away as he kept dropping it on the floor which wasn't nice for our downstairs neighbours! But now we have our own house, antlers will be great when it's time to test different proteins again! Or do you think he could try that even though he's on allergy food?

I would give the antlers a go.... buy one and let him have it and watch for any reaction, I would not expect any reaction, but you never know

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I would give the antlers a go.... buy one and let him have it and watch for any reaction, I would not expect any reaction, but you never know

Thanks for your advice :)

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Mine likes his benebone. I also find that Planet Dog toys last (at least the ones rated 5/5). He likes to chew and have something in his mouth all the time so I haven't had a problem with him not chewing on toys.

As for outside, mine loves to play fetch and not bring it back. You could try to redirect with a game of toss. Mine gets into everything outside if he does not have a ball to play with.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] Thanks for your suggestions! I've now looked at the Planet Dog website and their stuff looks interesting so might order something from them. Castor does play fetch when we're on our own but his twig chewing mainly happens when he's playing with the dogs of the neighbourhood (dogs around here meet every morning to play - very nice) and then we usually don't bring a ball. But you're right that some kind of redirection is called for.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
All my dogs I ever had I gave real raw bones with the marrow in it. NOT the joint parts as the poop will be dry n sandy type..... and never have them chewed on furniture, eating branches etc. But yes it will make noise if you have wooden floors. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Mine likes his benebone. I also find that Planet Dog toys last (at least the ones rated 5/5). He likes to chew and have something in his mouth all the time so I haven't had a problem with him not chewing on toys.

As for outside, mine loves to play fetch and not bring it back. You could try to redirect with a game of toss. Mine gets into everything outside if he does not have a ball to play with.

My GS I use to have got a benebone from some and he broke it. Since it's made out of nylon and bullies are known for powerful jaws too so my 2 cents on benebone is if your dog is under supervision. I got rid of it immediately as you don't want any dogs swallowing nylon. Ok my 2 cents. :)

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
All my dogs I ever had I gave real raw bones with the marrow in it. NOT the joint parts as the poop will be dry n sandy type..... and never have them chewed on furniture, eating branches etc. But yes it will make noise if you have wooden floors. :)

I'm all for raw bones but Castor is on strict allergy food at the moment so we cannot give him that! And the weird thing is that he is not at all destructuve or even a heavy chewer - it's just this sudden love for twigs and branches outdoors.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
My husband found one of these about a year ago. Winslow is not a super heavy chewer, but he plays hard on this and does like to chew on it occasionally. I am not exaggerating when i say the thing doesn't have a single dent or scratch!!

http://www.justduckyproducts-store.com/The-Perfect-Dog-Toy_p_14.html

It's a little pricey (although i think there is a lifetime warranty!), but maybe something to think about?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.