matador

Mar 14, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
El Chapo
Hey Bulldog Buddies( I just thought of that) Lol, what are you all feeding or would you recommend feeding an OEB puppy. The breeders sent a bag of Diamond Natural for large breed puppies... But I'm wanting to switch him to raw, I fed my AB a mix of kibble and raw, I was a teen and didn't know much I just thought it was cool to have a dog that ate raw food, but now days it's so difficult to really pin point what your dog is eating I figure if I do raw I can feed him what we eat; naturally raised chicken and turkey, grass fed beef, chicken hearts, etc?

What are you guys currently feeding, is Diamond Natural good... is raw better? Any help is appreciated I tend to rack my brain like crazy over these things

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!!

I don't have much experience w/raw… I feed my boxer the pre-made frozen patties made by Natural Balance. I will tag some experts on raw feeding… [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]

I feed my bulldogs Fromm's now, but this is a great place to start Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor Many people base food choices on preferences and what their budget allows. I have also used Merrick and Earthborne Holistic for my dogs before w/no issues.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
raw is the best way to go if you have the time and resources. I feed Fromm grain free line

OP
M

matador

Mar 14, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
El Chapo
Thank you both, I will continue to look into this and keep you all posted on what I find out.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Have you read this...?

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...s/12339-recommendations-start-rawfeeding.html

In my opinion you should by a book about raw feeding and start from there. There is many ways to do it and what is available in your area also makes it different from example how I do it. Feed an adult dog first and get the hang of it you can be more confident to feed a growingg pup. You could also consider commercial raw.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
We chose the raw route to control allergies. Like Riisi mentioned, everyone has a different way of feeding raw. We source our meat from local raw feeders who own their own shops and prep meals and also ethnic grocery stores. And we add salmon oil and apple cider vinegar to every meal.

With treats we tend to dehydrate or buy the dehydrated liver or lung from Costco. Not the jerky though!

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hey Bulldog Buddies( I just thought of that) Lol, what are you all feeding or would you recommend feeding an OEB puppy. The breeders sent a bag of Diamond Natural for large breed puppies... But I'm wanting to switch him to raw, I fed my AB a mix of kibble and raw, I was a teen and didn't know much I just thought it was cool to have a dog that ate raw food, but now days it's so difficult to really pin point what your dog is eating I figure if I do raw I can feed him what we eat; naturally raised chicken and turkey, grass fed beef, chicken hearts, etc?

What are you guys currently feeding, is Diamond Natural good... is raw better? Any help is appreciated I tend to rack my brain like crazy over these things

matador,
The reason for feeding raw should be because it is cool, it should be because you committed to the health of your dog.
Yes, raw feeding has its advantages over kibble but also comes with its inconveniences.
Advantages are:
- natural food
- trusted source (if you are reasonably confident of where it is coming from)
- less allergies and more immunity
- dogs on raw generally do not put on weight rapidly
- shiny coat, less doggie odor
- etc, etc
Drawbacks are (mostly for the owners):
- sourcing
- stocking
- preparation (if you decide to mince and feed)
- can be messy during meal time
- how to provide variety and balanced nutrition

Now chicken and turkey can form the staple of a dog's diet. Beef, lamb, rabbit and other game meat can be occasional food.
I will not tell you how to go about it, but will relate what has worked for me. As RiiSi suggests, it will help to buy a book for reference.

My EB (Bella) started on raw when she was 2 months old.
2-4 months - 4 meals a day (2 kibble only, 1 raw meat only, 1 cooked meat only)
4-6 months - 3 meals a day (1 kibble only, 1 raw meat only, 1 cooked meat only)
6-8 months - 2 meals a day (1 raw meat and bone only, 1 cooked meat only)
8+ months - 2 meals a day (raw meat and bone)

In addition I introduced all other kinds of natural foods, from human diet as listed below:
- eggs (raw, boiled and scrambled)
- dairy in limited quantity, diluted when possible (milk, curd/yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese; beware regular cheese can make EBs fart away to glory)
- select veggies in small quantities (carrots, beets, celery, cucumber, zucchini, colored peppers)
- select fruits in small quantities (banana, orange, watermelon, mango, apple, olives, chikoo)
- white bread, plain cookies/biscuits
- cooked white rice
- over boiled pasta (no salt no sauce)
- olive oil, coconut oil, salmon oil, flaxseed oil, turmeric powder, apple cider vinegar

For the last one year, Bella's staple diet has been chicken since this is the only meat I can source reliably.
Beef and lamb occasionally. These rest of the list above, sometimes get added to a meal or given as a side.
Sometimes she gets an entire meal that is just rice/pasta/bread with or without milk/yogurt. This is usually when I am behind on a meat run.
Fruits and veggies she gets just because she is in the kitchen while cooking or I am having a fruit.

Luckily for me and her, she has no known food allergies and is in good health and fitness.
EBs on a raw+natural diet grow up slowly and stay lean if you take care not to over feed them.
There is no set menu, I just dish out what ever comes to mind with chicken as base.
Never had to give her any commercial supplements either.

Feed your dog natural food and exercise it enough and you will have a healthy dog.
Reach out if you have any questions, doubts or worries. We will try to guide you as correctly as possible.

Cheers,
Raghu

OP
M

matador

Mar 14, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
El Chapo
We chose the raw route to control allergies. Like Riisi mentioned, everyone has a different way of feeding raw. We source our meat from local raw feeders who own their own shops and prep meals and also ethnic grocery stores. And we add salmon oil and apple cider vinegar to every meal.

With treats we tend to dehydrate or buy the dehydrated liver or lung from Costco. Not the jerky though!

Than =k you for the info... We already shop at our local co-ops and they often have various sources of fresh meats that our family already uses in our meals. If you don't mind me asking what is the reason for the apple cider vinegar and I'm wondering if it will have the same benefits for the OEB as it does for the EB?

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Unfortunately I don't know much of anything about Raw diets, but ACV is known to help with the following.
[h=5]• Relieves or prevents arthritis[/h][h=5]• Improves digestion[/h][h=5]• Acts as a urinary system tonic, clears urinary tract infections, and prevents the formation of kidney and bladder stones[/h][h=5]• Improves the growth and condition of fur and hair[/h][h=5]• Clears the skin of bacterial and fungal infections[/h][h=5]• Reduces skin flaking and dander[/h][h=5]• Makes one less attractive to biting insects[/h][h=5]• Helps prevent food poisoning[/h][h=5]• Acts as a natural antibiotic by interrupting the development of infectious bacterial and viral diseases[/h][h=5]• Relieves muscle fatigue[/h][h=5]• Alleviates itching[/h][h=5]• Improves ability to adapt to cold temperatures[/h][h=5]• Reduces hock and elbow calluses[/h][h=5]• When applied to the ears, clears and prevents ear infections.[/h]

OP
M

matador

Mar 14, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
El Chapo
matador,
The reason for feeding raw should be because it is cool, it should be because you committed to the health of your dog.
Yes, raw feeding has its advantages over kibble but also comes with its inconveniences.
Advantages are:
- natural food
- trusted source (if you are reasonably confident of where it is coming from)
- less allergies and more immunity
- dogs on raw generally do not put on weight rapidly
- shiny coat, less doggie odor
- etc, etc
Drawbacks are (mostly for the owners):
- sourcing
- stocking
- preparation (if you decide to mince and feed)
- can be messy during meal time
- how to provide variety and balanced nutrition

Now chicken and turkey can form the staple of a dog's diet. Beef, lamb, rabbit and other game meat can be occasional food.
I will not tell you how to go about it, but will relate what has worked for me. As RiiSi suggests, it will help to buy a book for reference.

My EB (Bella) started on raw when she was 2 months old.
2-4 months - 4 meals a day (2 kibble only, 1 raw meat only, 1 cooked meat only)
4-6 months - 3 meals a day (1 kibble only, 1 raw meat only, 1 cooked meat only)
6-8 months - 2 meals a day (1 raw meat and bone only, 1 cooked meat only)
8+ months - 2 meals a day (raw meat and bone)

In addition I introduced all other kinds of natural foods, from human diet as listed below:
- eggs (raw, boiled and scrambled)
- dairy in limited quantity, diluted when possible (milk, curd/yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese; beware regular cheese can make EBs fart away to glory)
- select veggies in small quantities (carrots, beets, celery, cucumber, zucchini, colored peppers)
- select fruits in small quantities (banana, orange, watermelon, mango, apple, olives, chikoo)
- white bread, plain cookies/biscuits
- cooked white rice
- over boiled pasta (no salt no sauce)
- olive oil, coconut oil, salmon oil, flaxseed oil, turmeric powder, apple cider vinegar

For the last one year, Bella's staple diet has been chicken since this is the only meat I can source reliably.
Beef and lamb occasionally. These rest of the list above, sometimes get added to a meal or given as a side.
Sometimes she gets an entire meal that is just rice/pasta/bread with or without milk/yogurt. This is usually when I am behind on a meat run.
Fruits and veggies she gets just because she is in the kitchen while cooking or I am having a fruit.

Luckily for me and her, she has no known food allergies and is in good health and fitness.
EBs on a raw+natural diet grow up slowly and stay lean if you take care not to over feed them.
There is no set menu, I just dish out what ever comes to mind with chicken as base.
Never had to give her any commercial supplements either.

Feed your dog natural food and exercise it enough and you will have a healthy dog.
Reach out if you have any questions, doubts or worries. We will try to guide you as correctly as possible.

Cheers,
Raghu

Tnak you for the insight.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
There are many benefits to apple cider vinegar, to both the 2-legged and the 4-legged! The reason we had started them on it is to reduce insect bites, such as mosquitos. We chose to not vaccinate them every year including heart worm medications and, instead, get tested for heart worm and perform a titre during their annual checkup. I have to disclose that I've researched the occurrence of heart worm in my area, and it's very rare, hence, why we decided to not give them the medication. We're very careful about protecting them from mosquito bites.

But there are also many benefits to ACV, including for the skin and digestive system. OEBs and EBs are from the same family so I'm sure that El Chapo would thrive on it too.

And please don't hesitate to ask any questions - we're all here to help!

OP
M

matador

Mar 14, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
El Chapo
There are many benefits to apple cider vinegar, to both the 2-legged and the 4-legged! The reason we had started them on it is to reduce insect bites, such as mosquitos. We chose to not vaccinate them every year including heart worm medications and, instead, get tested for heart worm and perform a titre during their annual checkup. I have to disclose that I've researched the occurrence of heart worm in my area, and it's very rare, hence, why we decided to not give them the medication. We're very careful about protecting them from mosquito bites.

But there are also many benefits to ACV, including for the skin and digestive system. OEBs and EBs are from the same family so I'm sure that El Chapo would thrive on it too.

And please don't hesitate to ask any questions - we're all here to help!

Thank you, I will see how this works!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.