Wheezie needs to lose 10 lbs for summer per vets orders

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Ok I need some assistance please.Our vet wants Wheezie to lose 10 lbs before summer.We feed Blue Wilderness Salmon 2 cups per day/night.She said snacks should be carrots,green beans and restrictions the grandparents.lol So I'm just giving less food and adding carrots and beans in.But I'm not sure if this is ok and how much of each..Thanks

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Miss Charlotte

Jan 31, 2015
Elizabeth,NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte
Was wheezie getting a lot of treats before? Does she exercise? How old is she?
Im thinking that omitting treats altogether and increasing physical activity such as a long walk or playing Catch a bit every day would be helpful.
I've never decreased charlottes actual food - so that I can't answer but I'm sure someone will be right along to help. Also, look into foods specific for weight loss? Is she prone to food allergies? Have to weigh the pros v cons on that one...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like a plan. We only feed our females about 1 1/2 cup a day, split into two meals, morning and night. The carrots and green beans are good fillers.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Depending on her age & physical activity would decide her diet.

Cami will be 8 in May, very limited activity, her choice, lol

She got up to 68 lbs and I reduced her kibble to 3/4 cup (TOTW)
AM & PM with 1/2 cup of drained & warmed green beans & 1/4 cup
spring water. Gets an occasional treat of water packed sardines (1 lg
fillet or 2 small) like, once a week or a boiled egg, shell on (good calcium)
or a couple of slices avocado (peeled, no seed pod).

I'd watch the carrots, lots of natural sugar, okay to give a bite or two
as a treat, once a day.

Cami lost to 66 lbs then started again in Nov & was down to 60 lbs by
Feb. Taking her down to 56-58 lbs (depending) and keeping her there.
She feels better, a bit perkier and gets up & off the sofa much easier.
At first, there were a few days she seemed a bit hungry so I'd give
her 1/2 cup of warmed green beans w/out kibble mid day or late evening
(after supper).

Yo Yo dieting bad for animals & us!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty gets 3/4 cup Acana Pacifica (just changed from Duck and pear) with green beans and Kafir as a topper twice a day. He does get a few treats. He weighed 68 lbs last weigh-in but his weight seems to fluctuate between that and 66lb. He is a low energy dog. He has a defined waist and I can feel his ribs. He is a pretty big boy but we have kept him down from the 72 lbs he weighed when we first got him.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Winslow had quite a bit to lose last year. We cut his food basically in half. (somehow we let it creep up to 2 cups, twice a day) and it melted off.

As the weight came off his energy and stamina for walks etc went way up. We didn't realize how lazy his weight made him. :( but it was a good snowball effect, as the increased energy meant more exercise, and so more healthy weight loss. :)

I did add frozen green beans in the beginning so he wouldn't feel totally cheated. ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
that is what we did when Banks had to lose 10 pounds... cut kibble in half and filler with frozen green beans, she lost the weight in what seemed like no time at all and then we went back to the 2 cups of kibble a day and she maintained her weight of 60-62 lbs for the next 7 years

OP
Christie H

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie is 3 and is pretty active and goes on daily walks.She is Frenglish and a short stack.She weighs 60 lbs right now and I can still see a V but the vet says she's robust.lol

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
an occasional treat of ..... a couple of slices avocado (peeled, no seed pod).

Carol,
My son recently read that avocados are dangerous to dogs. They contain persin which apparently is harmful to dogs (perhaps in larger quantities - I don't know). Just thought I should mention it!

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Carol,
My son recently read that avocados are dangerous to dogs. They contain persin which apparently is harmful to dogs
(perhaps in larger quantities - I don't know). Just thought I should mention it!

Thank you, Honey...the seed pod & possibly the skin may be poisonous but the fruit is not.
Have proved this over & over as all my dogs get it as a healthy snack, marvelous for the
skin & coat. Usually give a couple of peeled slices once or twice a week ;)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thank you, Honey...the seed pod & possibly the skin may be poisonous but the fruit is not.
Have proved this over & over as all my dogs get it as a healthy snack, marvelous for the
skin & coat. Usually give a couple of peeled slices once or twice a week ;)

Tanks for this info! I now read up a bit (should of course have done that before posting ...) and see that there really is no scientific evidence of persin in avocado being toxic for dogs. Interesting as so many sites and texts actually list avocado as poisonous to dogs. Well, something to tell my son tomorrow morning (late here now)!

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tanks for this info! I now read up a bit (should of course have done that before posting ...)
and see that there really is no scientific evidence of persin in avocado being toxic for dogs. Interesting as so many
sites and texts actually list avocado as poisonous to dogs. Well, something to tell my son tomorrow morning (late
here now)!

It's not your fault at all, I see it listed as poisonous so often too. When suggesting it to others, I generally bring
that erroneous myth up but was in a hurry when replied here. So, I apologize for not doing so this time.

OP
Christie H

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I didn't know this info on avocados either..I love them so they might too :)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas went from 69 pounds to 50 pounds eating the Vegas Stew. They were getting 2 cups daily split into two meals, but with the stew diet they were only getting 1 cup a day split into two meals. We gave them as much of the stew as they wanted. Cabbage, tomatoes, green beans, bell peppers and mushrooms. Stewed for hours created a yummy filler that they couldn't get enough of.

Here are before and after photos.

1016821_10200385125527128_705351155_n.jpgIMG_0178.JPG

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
If you have access to a doggy day care you may want to enroll her 1x week? I always notice that Izzy loses weight when I take her 1-2x... because for 8 hours she keeps moving! So I never have to touch her food... just add the activity to her schedule.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! I think I need to eat that Vegas Stew!

Vegas went from 69 pounds to 50 pounds eating the Vegas Stew. They were getting 2 cups daily split into two meals, but with the stew diet they were only getting 1 cup a day split into two meals. We gave them as much of the stew as they wanted. Cabbage, tomatoes, green beans, bell peppers and mushrooms. Stewed for hours created a yummy filler that they couldn't get enough of.

Here are before and after photos.

View attachment 96464View attachment 96465

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.