Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's feeding time like for everyone?

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Default What's feeding time like for everyone?

-2016-03-01-06-50-33-jpg

At our house it's a story of its own...

When I start taking the bowls out our newest member Alice the Basset starts to howl and climb like a cat on my legs By the time she's calmed down a little I'm hopefully done filling the bowls with kibble Alice is eating special gastro intestine food and Joey gets diet food, so it's three different foods to dish.

Before the filling of the bowls I've cooked some type of meat for them, usually lean beef mince. This is to get Boeboe and Bennie to eat at all The reason I go through this step is cos Boeboe HAS to eat, she's got empty tummy syndrome and will start to puke if she doesn't eat Bennie is just spoiled

When the kibble and the meat is dished out (they all get meat of course, no unfairness here), I start with the add on's... Joey and Lycka the Pug gets glucosamine powder, Boeboe should have it too but refuses to eat it since Boeboe is SO picky she also refuses to eat coconut oil and yogurt, which is unfortunate cos she's the one needing it the most cos of recurrent skin issues Everyone else gets both coconut oil and yogurt, Boeboe gets protexin so she at least gets something "good".

Occasionally they also get diatomaceous earth to prevent worms... it also has other health benefits. They don't like it much so I have to mix it with mince to get them to eat it

So when everything is in the bowls the real mission starts... I have to take Alice outside to eat cos she'll eat her food in 1 second and then start sucking up everyone elses so when she's done it sounds like a bear trying to get in through the door while the others eat...

Bennie and Boeboe can't eat in the same room, they'll start a fight even though none of them really want their food in the first place

If I'm lucky everyone finishes their food nicely without me having to hand feed some... and by some, I mean Boeboe and Bennie

Here's the gang starting from the left:

Boeboe, Bennie, Joey, Alice, Harvey and Lycka.

-boeboepoem-jpg-benniepoem-jpg-photoart_03062015110304-jpg-2016-02-09-12-09-43-jpg-petras-pics-037-jpg-2013-08-16-16-01-58-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -joeypoem-jpg  
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What's feeding time like for everyone?

@Petra All your dogs are so beautiful-and you are also!
    I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild,Pacific Salmon kibble. They eat 3 times a day(the main meal about 3 p.m.) They get a probiotic and Nuvet plus. In about 2 minutes,they are done! In the a.m/they get a handful of dog food each. At night before bed they get a little bit of food with plain yogurt.The only one I've ever heard chew is the small one! -the3-jpg
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

3. Likes Petra, TyTysmom liked this post
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Petra, I so love your family of beautiful fur babies!

And I thought I had a lot of work to go through with my boy's meal times! Mine is easy-peasy compared to yours. They're now on Acana Fish flavor and get fed at 6:30am and 5:30pm, 1 cup of kibble each. On top of that I will usually give them some plain organic yogurt and if mom remembers, a fish oil capsule. Lately I've been giving them some sweet potato too which they love, more as a treat/extra than part of their meals though.

5. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Why haven't I thought of oil capsules??? Thanks for that idea @cali baker

Forgot to say, they eat twice a day. 7 am and 7pm, less of a mission in the evening though, I don't do the add on's then

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Goodness, meal time is a full-time job at your house Petra… Lol

My crew eats at 6am, 12pm (Willow only) and 5pm. They both get kibble w/yogurt and a NuVet tab for breakfast, Willow gets kibble for lunch and I give Walter a snack, and dinner is kibble w/probiotic for Walter. I also give them a snack about 8pm which is fruit… banana w/a small amount of peanut butter, apple and cheese, berries (but Walter is allergic), etc...

Walter seems to be allergic to coconut oil and salmon oil so I'm not really sure what I'm going to do w/his and his dry skin. I may have to do fish oil capsules, I have tried everything… Ugh!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

8. Likes Petra liked this post
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Feeding time at my house I have to coax FTSE to his meal he sniffs and walks away don't know why he is not skinny then he after a day or two he eats normal again just really frustrates me and there is no medical reason why he does it just not fussed I think

10. Likes Petra liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Well.....Ummmm......Joey's mealtime is FAR less exciting. Maybe I'm doing something WRONG??

6AM and 5PM, Life's Abundance puppy (she is 9 months old), Braggs ACV (cap full on kibble) in AM and just kibble in the evening. I tried her on the really good greek yogurt but turns out she is lactose intolerant and had BAD soft stools for days, back to normal when I stopped.

Boy do I sound like a bad bully Mom OR WHAT ???? Should I be adding stuff too?
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

12. Likes Petra liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Love ya M8 , ya as we are coming down in numbers of dogs here you and i could exchange stories, good for you you got it !
    funny there are some mornings I love or maybe parts of mornings , like say when they all want out I love that full excitement of the dogs rushing out the door , now some are on leads but very long leads like 100 plus feet as they would be gone in there excitement sorry to say . Feeding time is like you but all get it and I take no prisoners at feeding time and allow them to correct any thiefs it only happens a couple of times at the very beginning and all is good there after
    We start our day normally at 5 am to 6 am then it is cuddle time and play time lol
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

14. Likes Petra liked this post
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Well.....Ummmm......Joey's mealtime is FAR less exciting. Maybe I'm doing something WRONG??

6AM and 5PM, Life's Abundance puppy (she is 9 months old), Braggs ACV (cap full on kibble) in AM and just kibble in the evening. I tried her on the really good greek yogurt but turns out she is lactose intolerant and had BAD soft stools for days, back to normal when I stopped.

Boy do I sound like a bad bully Mom OR WHAT ???? Should I be adding stuff too?
    I rather think you're doing something right I've got the glucosamine cos both Boeboe and Joey has had hip dysplasia operations. The coconut oil was for Boeboe initially (who refuses to eat it) cos she's got difficult skin. The yogurt was a hit in the beginning but now neither Boeboe or Bennie eats it... I guess they get bored I think if they're on a good food they wont really need add on's unless they have a health problem of course. As long as Joey's healthy and happy you don't need to stress<3

Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    I rather think you're doing something right I've got the glucosamine cos both Boeboe and Joey has had hip dysplasia operations. The coconut oil was for Boeboe initially (who refuses to eat it) cos she's got difficult skin. The yogurt was a hit in the beginning but now neither Boeboe or Bennie eats it... I guess they get bored I think if they're on a good food they wont really need add on's unless they have a health problem of course. As long as Joey's healthy and happy you don't need to stress<3
    Whew!! THANK YOU for saying that! I was getting worried......I was hoping to start Joey on coconut oil on her evening kibble, I bought really good kind for me to cook with and thought well maybe I should start Joey on it because of all of the benefits. It is solid, let's say I want to start her, how would I do that? Just scoop some out and drop on top of food? Or do you let it liquefy? Does it even matter? She is 45#, I'll start out with just a little bit but if she does OK on it what would be a normal daily dose? Thank you again @Petra !

Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Whew!! THANK YOU for saying that! I was getting worried......I was hoping to start Joey on coconut oil on her evening kibble, I bought really good kind for me to cook with and thought well maybe I should start Joey on it because of all of the benefits. It is solid, let's say I want to start her, how would I do that? Just scoop some out and drop on top of food? Or do you let it liquefy? Does it even matter? She is 45#, I'll start out with just a little bit but if she does OK on it what would be a normal daily dose? Thank you again @Petra !

Normally an adult bulldog gets 2 tbsp/day but it's better to start with maybe 1/2 - 1 tbsp in the beginning so they can get used to it It doesn't matter if it's solid or liquid, I give mine what ever the oil decides... if it's warm here it's liquid, if it's cold it's solid

Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Got it....and thank you again!!! Starting this weekend.

19. Likes Petra liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads