General Question Starter food for newly adopted adult EB prone to diarrhea?

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
We have a new addition to our bully family and don't know what to feed him! His old family gave us the last of his normal food but the first ingredient is cornmeal and it has artificial colors and flavors. However, it seems to be GREAT for his stool consistency.

I know kibble is not the world's healthiest dog food, but I'm not in a position to make his food right now as all our extra time is spent training and trying to prevent / break up fights to establish dominance . We briefly tried him on Buttercup's food (V-dog due to her allergies) but it gave him loose stool. His former family said he got diarrhea in response to a wide range of foods so I'm eager to find a better option for him.

Would like a high quality meat-based product that has real meat and without rendered animals and preferably without a lot of hormones and antibiotics (I know, picky picky!).

Are there any foods that have this? I figure no beef or chicken, but what meat should we try first? We are out of the loop on meat foods as Buttercup ended up being allergic to meat. I think we can transition to homemade at some point but I'm not eager to go down more diarrhea trails.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How long was he on V-dog and did you do slow transition with some pumpkin?

The Honest Kitchen -- try one of the bases with fish base.... 'Zeal' , 'Brave' or Marvel I think are the 3 fish based.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
The Honest Kitchen is a great food. Mine were on it for a while but Brutus lost too much weight with it so we switched. Maybe you switched too soon to the V food and that's why he got sick?

OP
M

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
How long was he on V-dog and did you do slow transition with some pumpkin?

The Honest Kitchen -- try one of the bases with fish base.... 'Zeal' , 'Brave' or Marvel I think are the 3 fish based.

The Honest Kitchen is a great food. Mine were on it for a while but Brutus lost too much weight with it so we switched. Maybe you switched too soon to the V food and that's why he got sick?

Thanks for the HK, transition, and pumpkin tips. We transitioned over just a few days (bad EB mama!!) and with no pumpkin. With Buttercup we did the same as her allergies with other foods were terrible and she had no bowel problems.

Does pumpkin really work? And if yes, what about other winter squash? I think we'll need it regardless of what food we try because his former owners said he had diarrhea with several different brands of food. But maybe they, like me, didn't transition appropriately(?).

We have just a few days of his old low quality food left. Do you think I should buy some more so we can do a proper transition to the next food? It actually constipates him so we added back 20% V-dog and his poop is PERFECT. But since going back to the old food his skin and farts smell BAD, so I don't think it's a great long-term option.

I want him to eat high quality food, but after one episode of diarrhea in the house (on white carpet, ugh) after locking horns with Buttercup, I'm terrified to change his diet!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the HK, transition, and pumpkin tips. We transitioned over just a few days (bad EB mama!!) and with no pumpkin. With Buttercup we did the same as her allergies with other foods were terrible and she had no bowel problems.

Does pumpkin really work? And if yes, what about other winter squash? I think we'll need it regardless of what food we try because his former owners said he had diarrhea with several different brands of food. But maybe they, like me, didn't transition appropriately(?).

We have just a few days of his old low quality food left. Do you think I should buy some more so we can do a proper transition to the next food? It actually constipates him so we added back 20% V-dog and his poop is PERFECT. But since going back to the old food his skin and farts smell BAD, so I don't think it's a great long-term option.

I want him to eat high quality food, but after one episode of diarrhea in the house (on white carpet, ugh) after locking horns with Buttercup, I'm terrified to change his diet!

You can use a bland diet to transition to a new food too, i would not buy more of the junk food.... the pumpkin totally works, I have used it on three of my babies and it works in both ways (too firm... it softens, too runny it firms it) no idea why it does, but it ors

OP
M

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
You can use a bland diet to transition to a new food too, i would not buy more of the junk food.... the pumpkin totally works, I have used it on three of my babies and it works in both ways (too firm... it softens, too runny it firms it) no idea why it does, but it ors

Thanks! How much pumpkin do you recommend and what is your ratio of hamburger to rice with your bland diet? We'll give it a shot. Would rather not give him more of the old food!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks! How much pumpkin do you recommend and what is your ratio of hamburger to rice with your bland diet? We'll give it a shot. Would rather not give him more of the old food!

I usually cook a pound of meat and medium size box of rice at a time.... Mix that and then give 1 1/4 cup twice a day.... On second day cut back on bland and start mixing in new kibble continue till bland is gone increasing kibble at each feeding.... One tablespoon of pumpkin per feeding till poo is firm but not hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Thanks! I will use your recipe. I did start using the pumpkin last night with a little more V-dog and his poop was well-formed! But I probably used a quarter cup as I wasn't sure. We'll start the bland diet with pumpkin tonight!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.