BullyLove22

Feb 9, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Fern
My bully has a pretty good diet. Orijen food with yogurt in the morning, Orijen with a piece of chicken for dinner. She gets natural chicken chips and turkey jerky dog treats, also sometimes some baby carrots (a little peanut butter on the end if she's been really good!).

I know fruits can be OK to give to dogs, just concerned about how much is ok? Don't want to sugar load her! I have frozen some bananas, quartered, with yogurt (all natural, no sugar or sugar substitutes) and also some apple slices (don't worry, no parts of core or seeds in sight!!). I left some plain, put some with peanut butter and some with sunflower seed butter. How much would be recommended as a snack serving for my 40 pound pooch? How often per week would be ok to feed her stuff like this?

Thanks!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We only give a few pieces here and there as treat and try to use fresh as much as possible. In the summer we will buy extra and put it through the food processor then freeze it in ice cube trays. Be very careful with the jerk style treats as they are choking hazards.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, we also give fruits as a snack or a treat usually everyday, but it's not huge portions. In the morning they get their kibble with yogurt, and I will add either a few strawberries or a handful of blueberries. They share a banana twice a week, and in the summer they get a few cut up pieces of watermelon as a treat. In the evening I add whatever vegetables we are having to their kibble. They get cooked carrots, or green beans, or broccoli or cauliflower as a topper to their evening meal, I also add coconut oil to their evening meal, but not everyday, usually every other day or twice a week.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I give fruits as snacks here as well… I don't give them too much, maybe a tablespoon at a time. Or if it's an apple maybe one large slice cut up into pieces...

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Dogs digestive system does not or can not really process whole pieces of fruit or veggies. They are most likely come out the other end quite unharmed. So no calories or vitamins will absorbe. If you want to get the benefits from them, they should be pureed first and even frozen and thawed. I only give my guys their meals twice a day and treats when training, so snacking between meals:no:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
We give sliced apples or frozen bananas as a treat every now and then. I like to give frozen green beans as a treat as they are low in calories and sugar. My boys love them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I share small pieces here and there.... mostly green beans and melons

OP
B

BullyLove22

Feb 9, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Fern
Thanks everyone! I have been giving a bit here and there and she loves the frozen treats :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online