Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Hey everyone,
My boy Bruce is 5 months old. He is eating Taste of The Wild 3 times a day. He's 36 lbs and all is going well except he pukes bile from time to time. I usually noticed it when I go to take him out in the morning. I verified he's eating the right amount of food so I've switched his meals to as soon as he gets up, around 3:00pm and before bed. I do this so that he's stomach isn't empty for any long period of time and this new feeding schedule addresses the time when he was throwing up the most (over night). So far so good.

Have any of you experienced your puppy puking bile? How did you resolve it?

Jim

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
How fast is he eating his food? Mine will throw up food or bile if he eats too fast or plays too rough right after eating.

He also used to throw up overnight but that was because of his empty tummy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How much food at each feeding?

OP
Vabulldog

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Bruce eats a cup 3 times a day which is in the TOTW guidelines for his weight and age.

OP
Vabulldog

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
He eats at a good speed, but doesn't scarf it down. When I'm getting out his food, he's dancing because he's looking forward to it. He usually eats and then drinks. No gagging or coughing as he eats or right after. I usually let him eat and then let him rest in his crate for 20 min. He then goes potty and then is free to play.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bruce eats a cup 3 times a day which is in the TOTW guidelines for his weight and age.

At 5 months, vomiting bile is usually a sign of hunger so it may not be enough food for him.... here is a guideline I follow with puppies and it seems to work well. may be increase a bit and see if it makes a difference.

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

OP
Vabulldog

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
You know, you may be on to something. Bruce used to walk away from his food. Lately, he eats every piece of food at every meal. BILE is a sign that his stomach is completely empty from what I've read...maybe I will give him a little more and see how that goes.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
You know, you may be on to something. Bruce used to walk away from his food. Lately, he eats every piece of food at every meal. BILE is a sign that his stomach is completely empty from what I've read...maybe I will give him a little more and see how that goes.

This happened with Goob for a while as well. At that age, we fed him 4 times a day ( his food soaked in a little warm water for a few minutes to soften) and I also bought him a lix-it bottle instead of a water bowl. You can find them online or at Petco. He didn't drink from a bowl until he was about 2.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hey everyone,
My boy Bruce is 5 months old. He is eating Taste of The Wild 3 times a day. He's 36 lbs and all is going well except he pukes bile from time to time. I usually noticed it when I go to take him out in the morning. I verified he's eating the right amount of food so I've switched his meals to as soon as he gets up, around 3:00pm and before bed. I do this so that he's stomach isn't empty for any long period of time and this new feeding schedule addresses the time when he was throwing up the most (over night). So far so good.

Have any of you experienced your puppy puking bile? How did you resolve it?

Jim

Hi Jim. Sorry to hear about Bruce. What you are describing is what my Jewel has...empty stomach syndrome. Yes...we feed three times a day and space out the meals. We have to be real careful on the weekend and not sleep in as Jewel will have an episode for sure.

A trip to the vet maybe in order to rule anything else out that maybe causing Bruce to puke.

From Pet MD

print_logo.png

Published on petMD (http://www.petmd.com)

[h=1]Bilious Vomiting Syndrome in Dogs[/h]

One of the frustrations associated with being a veterinarian is the all-too-common request for free advice. My problem isnā€™t really with the "free" aspect of it; I just know that chances are Iā€™m not going to be able to tell you anything definitive about your petā€™s condition based solely on a description of her symptoms.
So, if you just have a basic question (e.g., should I get my new dog tested for heartworms before putting him on prevention?), fire away. But, if your question is more along the lines of, "My cat has symptoms X, Y and Z; what could be wrong with her?" know that my answer will almost always be something like, "The list of possibilities is pretty long. Iā€™d need to see her and maybe run some diagnostic tests before I can narrow them down for you."
Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. A friend called me a while back asking what could be wrong with her beagle that woke up every morning and promptly vomited foam and bile. Petunia was otherwise completely normal: eating well, maintaining her weight, normal stools, no abdominal pain, bright, active, etc., etc. "Aha," I thought, "finally a question I can answer."
These symptoms, vomiting on an empty stomach when absolutely everything else is normal, are classic for a condition in dogs called bilious vomiting syndrome. We donā€™t know the exact cause ā€” maybe stomach acid or other digestive secretions that collect in an empty stomach are irritating ā€” but the solution is simple: feed the dog more frequently. Not more food, which would lead to weight gain, just more frequently.
In Petuniaā€™s case, since she was vomiting first thing in the morning, I told my friend to offer her a small meal right before bedtime. That did the trick; no more vomiting. My recommendation had the additional benefit of having absolutely no possibility of doing any harm ā€” one of my requirements for coming up with an armchair diagnosis and treatment plan.
Even though I was pretty confident that I knew what was going on with Petunia, I still had to couch my answer by adding, "If that doesnā€™t do the trick, make sure you get her in for a physical." Always better to be safe than sorry, right?
dr_coates_sig.png

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
[MENTION=15054]brucebruce[/MENTION] - how is bruce feeling?? :) Were you able to figure out what was going on, Im thinking something similar might be going on with Ellie, This AM she didnt eat her breakfast, and went to daycare, which they said she was fine for the day, but at the end of the day right before pickup they said she puke bile, and she was good for the 20min ride home, and she puked a little bile again once we got home, and has been sleeping ever since (2hrs) as of this typing.

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
When Buttercup first came to live with us she vomited bile if I waited too long to feed her in the a.m. After this happened a few times I read about empty stomach syndrome on this site. Now she eats a small meal shortly before bed and next eats in the morning ~8-10 hours later. The bilious vomit has not recurred and she has a much better appetite for meals when we don't wait so long to feed her.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.