General Question Puppy food for my 5 1/2 month old Bully

lorhop

Feb 7, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
Hello everyone, I'm a new Bully mom and want only the best for my bundle of joy. My question is regarding food. What are the recommended foods to be feeding your bulldog puppy? I have done a lot of reading on the forum and would love some feedback. My pup came from the breeder eating Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy Original Dry Dog Food. I feel I should be changing to a better quality food. The only health issue I have had so far is some yeast in the ears (when I picked her up from the breeder age 4 months) and a hot spot under the chin (current) which I am treating with Mal-A-Ket wipes from the vet.

Thank you all in advance from my little pooch Hemi :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN and the wonderful world of Bulldogs!

You are correct -- IAMS is not a good food and is most likely what is causing the yeasty ears.

Here is a great list/article to read about dog food..... many here feed Fromm grain free line other great choices would be Acana, Orijen, Taste of the Wild, Nature's variety, and Earthborn.

best of luck and post pictures of your new baby

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Mine is 9 months. I used to feed mine the Blue Buffalo Freedom puppy food (chicken). He started getting yeast in the ears and a hot spot on the chin. I now feed the Fromm Beef Fritatta which is an all stages food. His ears have cleared up completely and his chin is in the stages of healing. I think he has also started pooping less.

If he is getting yeast in the ears and having hot spots, I would switch food. Mine wasn't bad in the beginning and then it got worse and wouldn't clear up. Yours is obviously having a reaction.

OP
L

lorhop

Feb 7, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
Thank you so much for your advice; I really appreciate it being a new mom :) Kindest regards :D

OP
L

lorhop

Feb 7, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
Thank you so much, really appreciate all your help. I shall try the Fromm range. Kindest regards

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Thank you so much, really appreciate all your help. I shall try the Fromm range. Kindest regards

The reason I went with Fromm was because of the 100% guarantee, quality of food, and recommendations from the site. So if your dog reacts poorly to the food you can return the opened bag for a full refund (only if you purchased from the store). Also you can switch between the 4 star foods without having to mix for a week. So it is easy for you to find the food (protein in my case) that agrees with your dog.

The only negative thing I have to say about it is that the kibble size is much smaller than what he was having. I've had to feed him in stages so he doesn't gulp it down in one go or put a ball in his dish to slow him down. He was eating it so fast he threw up.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.