Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Thread: Food opinion please!

Doggie Boutique Owner Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Default Food opinion please!

At our local tractor supply they have a food called 4Health. Their grain free recipe looks to have quality ingredients and rates well on dogfoodadvisor. I'm just now transitioning the pups from puppy to adult food. This food is also $37 for a 35lb bag vs $47 /28lb of TOTW.
    Anyway - just wanted some opinions. I've attached a pic of the ingredients. Oh- I'm pretty sure Penny has a chicken allergy. Her tear stains are horrible with anything that has chicken. Would turkey possibly have the same affect on her bc it's a bird? ( just throwing it out there. Lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

Mommy of Lockjaw and Penny

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Food opinion please!

How allergic is she, bc chicken fat is the 8th ingredient? It doesn't look bad though. How is it in protein? % wise.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

@TyTysmom, it's just her tear stains that get bad. But I did read while researching ingredients that chicken fat differs from the meal as far as allergies are concerned. Like it doesn't affect them in he way the meal does. (It made sense while reading it, but now I can't remember the exact science behind it- lol). I saw the chicken fat ingredient also. I went ahead and got TOTW Southwest Canyon bc it doesn't have any chicken or rice (which i think rice is also a tear stain culprit). So hopefully I'll start seeing a difference. I just wanted to hear what others thought of this one.

"Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Corine Pesantes View Post
    @TyTysmom, it's just her tear stains that get bad. But I did read while researching ingredients that chicken fat differs from the meal as far as allergies are concerned. Like it doesn't affect them in he way the meal does. (It made sense while reading it, but now I can't remember the exact science behind it- lol). I saw the chicken fat ingredient also. I went ahead and got TOTW Southwest Canyon bc it doesn't have any chicken or rice (which i think rice is also a tear stain culprit). So hopefully I'll start seeing a difference. I just wanted to hear what others thought of this one.

Gotcha, I've never heard of it either - but it doesn't look too bad. Rice and potatoes caused stains for us.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

There was someone here that fed this food and their bully did well on it...... and, you should be fine with turkey if you know the allergy is chicken only and not to poultry. Banks could not have chicken at all, but she was fine with turkey... however, I know a Pitbull that can not have any type of bird (chicken, turkey, pheasant, duck, etc) at all
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

2BullyMama, oh wow! So far I've been lucky as far as allergies go. Lockjaw has none and no tear stains (knock on wood). And it's only her tear stains with Penny. I'll probably keep them on the TOTW for atleast 2 bags. If she does well, I MIGHT switch to the 4Health just to try it out.

The girl that cuts my hair mentioned this brand as well as another friend. But you know I've got to get the bully experts advice! Lol

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

It always seems like it's such a struggle with our guys and finding the right food! Murray went from TOTW puppy until one day he decided he was sick of it, then I tried switching to blue wildnerness duck which he liked but I felt the tear stains were worse so I transitioned him from that to Fromm pork and peas, the tear stains are not as bad but still not great. It seems like most of the foods have either potato or sweet potato and or rice, I might try the lamb and lentil next. I've seen 4health in a couple stores but haven't tried it. I hope you find one that works out well for both of them! Please let us know how you make out and good luck!!

Remove Ads