Food opinion please!

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
At our local tractor supply they have a food called 4Health. Their grain free recipe looks to have quality ingredients and rates well on dogfoodadvisor. I'm just now transitioning the pups from puppy to adult food. This food is also $37 for a 35lb bag vs $47 /28lb of TOTW.
Anyway - just wanted some opinions. I've attached a pic of the ingredients. Oh- I'm pretty sure Penny has a chicken allergy. Her tear stains are horrible with anything that has chicken. Would turkey possibly have the same affect on her bc it's a bird? ( just throwing it out there. Lol)
1aed9c7df2974b7056088c0891cedcea.jpg
8abe95f284b1e4ea347a7aac7e18ad21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
How allergic is she, bc chicken fat is the 8th ingredient? It doesn't look bad though. How is it in protein? % wise.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION], it's just her tear stains that get bad. But I did read while researching ingredients that chicken fat differs from the meal as far as allergies are concerned. Like it doesn't affect them in he way the meal does. (It made sense while reading it, but now I can't remember the exact science behind it- lol). I saw the chicken fat ingredient also. I went ahead and got TOTW Southwest Canyon bc it doesn't have any chicken or rice (which i think rice is also a tear stain culprit). So hopefully I'll start seeing a difference. I just wanted to hear what others thought of this one.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@TyTysmom, it's just her tear stains that get bad. But I did read while researching ingredients that chicken fat differs from the meal as far as allergies are concerned. Like it doesn't affect them in he way the meal does. (It made sense while reading it, but now I can't remember the exact science behind it- lol). I saw the chicken fat ingredient also. I went ahead and got TOTW Southwest Canyon bc it doesn't have any chicken or rice (which i think rice is also a tear stain culprit). So hopefully I'll start seeing a difference. I just wanted to hear what others thought of this one.

Gotcha, I've never heard of it either - but it doesn't look too bad. Rice and potatoes caused stains for us.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There was someone here that fed this food and their bully did well on it...... and, you should be fine with turkey if you know the allergy is chicken only and not to poultry. Banks could not have chicken at all, but she was fine with turkey... however, I know a Pitbull that can not have any type of bird (chicken, turkey, pheasant, duck, etc) at all

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
2BullyMama, oh wow! So far I've been lucky as far as allergies go. Lockjaw has none and no tear stains (knock on wood). And it's only her tear stains with Penny. I'll probably keep them on the TOTW for atleast 2 bags. If she does well, I MIGHT switch to the 4Health just to try it out.

The girl that cuts my hair mentioned this brand as well as another friend. But you know I've got to get the bully experts advice! Lol

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
It always seems like it's such a struggle with our guys and finding the right food! Murray went from TOTW puppy until one day he decided he was sick of it, then I tried switching to blue wildnerness duck which he liked but I felt the tear stains were worse so I transitioned him from that to Fromm pork and peas, the tear stains are not as bad but still not great. It seems like most of the foods have either potato or sweet potato and or rice, I might try the lamb and lentil next. I've seen 4health in a couple stores but haven't tried it. I hope you find one that works out well for both of them! Please let us know how you make out and good luck!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.