Coconut oil. I know I know

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
So I bought a huge thing of coconut oil back in August. We are to our last little bit.
So I need to get some more.

I know now that the best to give our bullies is unrefined and cold pressed.

The one I have been giving him is refined. The brand is NuCo.
He really likes it, everyone still compliments on how soft he is etc.

Should I switch to unrefined?
I mean he seems to be getting really good benefits out of the refined one.

Hhmmmm?!?!?!?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So I bought a huge thing of coconut oil back in August. We are to our last little bit.
So I need to get some more.

I know now that the best to give our bullies is unrefined and cold pressed.

The one I have been giving him is refined. The brand is NuCo.
He really likes it, everyone still compliments on how soft he is etc.

Should I switch to unrefined?
I mean he seems to be getting really good benefits out of the refined one.

Hhmmmm?!?!?!?

If it ain't broken - leave it alone. LOL

One little thing can throw everything off, so if the one you have been using is working good, stick with it!

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Even though it's the refined one???

Yay

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Even though it's the refined one???

Yay

You could always buy a small one and test it out - if you don't notice any difference switch it over? I don't see there being a huge difference - I say that, but each bully is so different, you never know.

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay :)
Just want to make sure there weren't any extra benefits from it being unrefined or whatever

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I just bought a new one and didn't realized it was hard pressed - something different than the normal cold pressed I buy. (It was on clearance for $7 vs $15) lol- anyway, it's been a week and no change in either of my babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
If it ain't broken - leave it alone. LOL

One little thing can throw everything off, so if the one you have been using is working good, stick with it!
:goodpost: I have only ever used one coconut oil product…worked wonders!! Stick w/what works!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We use the Organic brand from Costco, but I agree if it's working and he tolerates it stay with it. I don't think there is too much difference and he may not tolerate a different brand or formula.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
What are the benefits of coconut oil and how much do they have do they eat it?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey

Benefits I've seen in mine are softer fur and possibly less shedding. They also seem less itchy and they don't really have any skin issues anymore... I guess it keeps the skin from going dry... I also moisturize their noses with it. And I steal some from them to use for myself as a face cleaner and tooth paste, add half/half, coconut oil/bicarbonate of soda, works great:)

I try to give them 2 tbsp a day but I forget sometimes:ashamed:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I noticed the softer fur and less shedding… but Wally was getting sick, so I switched to the salmon oil. I actually use the coconut oil for me in my meals, and I use it as a moisturizer.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Benefits of coconut oil: natural moisturizer, tooth paste, infection prevention, bacteria removal, odor eliminator, thyroid disease aid, over weight aid, help w/skin issues, arthritis/ligament relief…
How much: tablespoon a day is plenty (ingested) use as needed topically.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I know this may sound really dumb, but Uhm, I don't get it when it comes to giving Bulldogs Coconut Oil. I do have it in the house,
I do use it in some limited recipes, and I do use it on my feet (I'm Diabetic), but feeding it to a dog, well, that just sounds to me to
be really bizarre, I can't even imagine a dog eating it. So maybe someone can give me a bit of a tutorial on the use of Coconut Oil
for Dogs.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

The benefit of using coconut oil are many. Two of the best benefits are using on the nose and in the food. Using it on the nose it better and cheaper than any other product. Some people claim bag balm, vitamin E, snout soother, etc. While these might work, they are far more expensive than coconut oil. As for Vaseline
: NEVER ! I wipe a small amount of plain (Costco bulk pack) on their noses and then they get to lick my finger. Now as for adding to food, a small amount of coconut oil (melted if needed) aides in the digestion system and works great for the skin. ALL of my dogs LOVE to lick it off a craft stick (not the dinner spoons!) and love it in the food.

Many owners add salmon oil to the food to aide in digestion and skin coat. This works great in the food, but does not work good on the nose. Too messy, too smelly. So using coconut oil serves double duty. And as others have said it is great for hand cream and moisturizer.

Get the plain coconut oil, not the cooking oil type. Not the same.
Next we can talk about the benefit of canned pumpkin..

Good Day~

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I know this may sound really dumb, but Uhm, I don't get it when it comes to giving Bulldogs Coconut Oil. I do have it in the house,
I do use it in some limited recipes, and I do use it on my feet (I'm Diabetic), but feeding it to a dog, well, that just sounds to me to
be really bizarre, I can't even imagine a dog eating it. So maybe someone can give me a bit of a tutorial on the use of Coconut Oil
for Dogs.
The benefits of coconut oil are particularly great for this breed due to their skin/health issues…aside from being a digestive aide, allergy/immune system booster, the Lauric Acid alone is a great reason to give an English Bulldog coconut oil as part of his/her daily regimen!! Candida is a big problem for this breed, coconut oil is one of the best ways to holistically treat/prevent/control yeast. The fact that it is a medium-chain fatty acid gives me comfort knowing that I am not subjecting my dog to unnecessary fats and it will be absorbed and converted into energy (another reason, considering some bullies may have weight issues as they grow). I've researched the product for years and have not read enough (if anything at all) that would sway me NOT to give it to my bulldog! Not to mention, they usually LOVE the taste. There are a lot of articles (both on EBN and on other forums) that tutor those looking to research. I couldn't imagine my dog not eating it, to be honest…it's a HUGE part of his daily maintenance to stay healthy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.