Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Coconut oil. I know I know

I know this may sound really dumb, but Uhm, I don't get it when it comes to giving Bulldogs Coconut Oil. I do have it in the house,
    I do use it in some limited recipes, and I do use it on my feet (I'm Diabetic), but feeding it to a dog, well, that just sounds to me to
    be really bizarre, I can't even imagine a dog eating it. So maybe someone can give me a bit of a tutorial on the use of Coconut Oil
    for Dogs.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

The benefit of using coconut oil are many. Two of the best benefits are using on the nose and in the food. Using it on the nose it better and cheaper than any other product. Some people claim bag balm, vitamin E, snout soother, etc. While these might work, they are far more expensive than coconut oil. As for Vaseline
    : NEVER ! I wipe a small amount of plain (Costco bulk pack) on their noses and then they get to lick my finger. Now as for adding to food, a small amount of coconut oil (melted if needed) aides in the digestion system and works great for the skin. ALL of my dogs LOVE to lick it off a craft stick (not the dinner spoons!) and love it in the food.

Many owners add salmon oil to the food to aide in digestion and skin coat. This works great in the food, but does not work good on the nose. Too messy, too smelly. So using coconut oil serves double duty. And as others have said it is great for hand cream and moisturizer.

Get the plain coconut oil, not the cooking oil type. Not the same.
    Next we can talk about the benefit of canned pumpkin..

Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

3. Likes 2BullyMama, CCandMurray, bullmama liked this post
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    I know this may sound really dumb, but Uhm, I don't get it when it comes to giving Bulldogs Coconut Oil. I do have it in the house,
    I do use it in some limited recipes, and I do use it on my feet (I'm Diabetic), but feeding it to a dog, well, that just sounds to me to
    be really bizarre, I can't even imagine a dog eating it. So maybe someone can give me a bit of a tutorial on the use of Coconut Oil
    for Dogs.
    The benefits of coconut oil are particularly great for this breed due to their skin/health issues…aside from being a digestive aide, allergy/immune system booster, the Lauric Acid alone is a great reason to give an English Bulldog coconut oil as part of his/her daily regimen!! Candida is a big problem for this breed, coconut oil is one of the best ways to holistically treat/prevent/control yeast. The fact that it is a medium-chain fatty acid gives me comfort knowing that I am not subjecting my dog to unnecessary fats and it will be absorbed and converted into energy (another reason, considering some bullies may have weight issues as they grow). I've researched the product for years and have not read enough (if anything at all) that would sway me NOT to give it to my bulldog! Not to mention, they usually LOVE the taste. There are a lot of articles (both on EBN and on other forums) that tutor those looking to research. I couldn't imagine my dog not eating it, to be honest…it's a HUGE part of his daily maintenance to stay healthy.

"Unequivocally the Sweetest"

5. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Ok, so how do you give it to a dog ? My dog does not eat food out of a bowl, so it would be impossible for me to put a "dollup" on top of his kibble. He gets hand-fed. SO, do I put it on a paper plate and let him lick it up? I also give Maximus daily Probiotics, so
    I know he is getting the good bacteria his immune and digestive system needs. He does have allergies and he has had skin problems.
    He is currently on Ketoconazole, an anti-fungal, and Apoquel for his Allergies and he does see a Dermatologist.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Ok, so how do you give it to a dog ? My dog does not eat food out of a bowl, so it would be impossible for me to put a "dollup" on top of his kibble. He gets hand-fed. SO, do I put it on a paper plate and let him lick it up? I also give Maximus daily Probiotics, so
    I know he is getting the good bacteria his immune and digestive system needs. He does have allergies and he has had skin problems.
    He is currently on Ketoconazole, an anti-fungal, and Apoquel for his Allergies and he does see a Dermatologist.
    Most people melt it and mix in with food....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

I have both at home.... Salmon Oil and Coconut Oil and have been using them on Izzy for the past 2-3 years. I do notice better results with the coconut oil as far as her fur being more soft, shinier and she sheds less. I also use to brush her teeth which was a wonderful idea.... Izzy LOVES coconut oil... I mean she will lick her bowl for an additional 15 minutes after I put a tablespoon of coconut oil (still solid) with her kibble! It's funny to watch! Plus the smell is wonderful.

The smell of the salmon oil.... not so much! lol

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

Country
    Ireland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Yet another tip for me as a new bully owner

10. Likes NewEnglandBully, MFrey2012 liked this post
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Does not matter if your dog is "hand-fed"…better, in-fact, to spoon feed coconut oil in its solid form. My highest recommendation is Kelapo, comes in a jar, solid form, melts easily if needed (bullies do not need it melted). Put a dollop (perfect size btw) on a spoon and hand feed - your preferred method.
    (coconut oil is also an anti-fungal)

Giving probiotics is excellent…how their digestive system actually absorbs the probiotics is essential (research ACV for that aspect).

What are his allergies?

"Unequivocally the Sweetest"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads