Am I feeding my active 10 month old enough?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Truman is going on 10 months old now and as active as ever, particularly with his attendance at doggy daycare twice a week.

I am currently feeding him 1 cup of Nature's Variety Instinct TWICE a day - with a spoonful of soft food of the same brand on top in the morning only - for a total of two cups of kibble per day.

He gets maybe 3-5 treats a day - usually Nature's Variety Grain-Free Biscuits.

At 49 pounds, the vet says he's in great shape and it's wise to be conservative with his weight given his hip issues when we was a baby however I think he's getting up at an unreasonable hour (sometimes 5 AM) because he's hungry. There is not an ounce of fat on him.

I don't know if he's just being a pig or I need to feed him a little more given his "much higher than your typical bulldog" activity level?

If so, how much of an increase should I make in his diet?

Also, what times of day does everyone feed their dogs? I feed at 7 AM and 4-5 PM so maybe I need to try feeding later in the evening?

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So he is only getting 1 cup of kibble per day? I would definitely increase it until he is about 15 months.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
So he is only getting 1 cup of kibble per day? I would definitely increase it until he is about 15 months.

Oops, I need to edit that - no 1 cup - twice a day - the spoonful of soft food in the morning only!

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i'm glad you brought this up. my Bullet (9mos.) is waking up at 4am and 5am and refuses to go outside (as i assume he must need to potty, until i realize he runs to sit by his feeding area) and wants to wait to eat. i give him a snack (a veggie or two) and we head back to bed. i want to just feed him but don't. he always eats around 6:30am and i want him to keep a schedule for his own good. i was just wondering too if i needed to "up" something in his feedings. :confused:

sorry, didn't mean to jump on your thread [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] but know i am right there with ya. sometimes i just want to give him a whole other feeding because i "don't want my baby to starve". :whistle:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oops, I need to edit that - no 1 cup - twice a day - the spoonful of soft food in the morning only!

Okay good you scared me! :eek:

That is sufficient. You can increase it by a little- but just watch the waistline. I am certain (he eats NVI? right?) that he is getting plenty of protein for doggy day care. :up:

Kathryn Thomas

Nov 25, 2010
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bayou Beau Winston Cropley
I agree. Feed him twice daily a cup, plus supplements and snacks. We feed a natural cooked diet.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.