AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Hey everyone, I know this topic as been discussed to great lengths over the years and I'm just curious on peoples feedback. I did some searching on the forum and there are a lot of answers and good suggestions but not sure if I'm finding the answer I'm looking for. I know switching of the food is all subjective to the dog as they react to the food differently. I'm wanting to switch my dog Stella's food to something different. Shes been on the Nutro sensitive skin and stomach since we got her about a year ago however over the last several months it appears that they did away with the sensitive skin and stomach line and since she has been on the regular Nutro I've notice shes been getting a rough nose and her #2's arent very solid. That coupled with the licking of her paws makes me think its time to give up on the Nutro brand and try something else. My question is (and I know its all subjective) what would be a good replacement for the sensitive skin and stomach food that she has been eating? I've done some research and I've seen brands such as Fromms, Blue Buffalo and Natures Variety pop up a lot but it seems like there are many different types of each brand that I start to get confused. What would be a good suggestion to try and start at for switching? Also do you do this over time by mixing a little of the (2) together or can you just make a switch without any transitioning?

Forgive me if I've asked a question that has been brought up a thousand times. :ashamed:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hey everyone, I know this topic as been discussed to great lengths over the years and I'm just curious on peoples feedback. I did some searching on the forum and there are a lot of answers and good suggestions but not sure if I'm finding the answer I'm looking for. I know switching of the food is all subjective to the dog as they react to the food differently. I'm wanting to switch my dog Stella's food to something different. Shes been on the Nutro sensitive skin and stomach skin we got her about a year ago however over the last several months it appears that they did away with the sensitive skin and stomach line and since she has been on the regular Nutro I've notice shes been getting a rough nose and her #2's arent very solid. That coupled with the licking of her paws makes me think its time to give up on the Nutro brand and try something else. My question is (and I know its all subjective) what would be a good replacement for the sensitive skin and stomach food that she has been eating? I've done some research and I've seen brands such as Fromms, Blue Buffalo and Natures Variety pop up a lot but it seems like there are many different types of each brand that I start to get confused. What would be a good suggestion to try and start at for switching? Also do you do this over time by mixing a little of the (2) together or can you just make a switch without any transitioning?

Forgive me if I've asked a question that has been brought up a thousand times. :ashamed:

Don't be silly - you ask away!

Is there a reason she was on the sensitive stomach food? I know that Natures Variety makes a limited ingredient food, if your concerned with things that are common triggers for bullies & their allergies. It honesty will be a trial though, you may end up going through a few until you find the one. We had to go through several kibbles, and finally decided kibble wasn't for us, so now we're on The Honest Kitchen (one of their bases) and we add in our own protein. Usually a lean beef, turkey, or kangaroo.

The dry nose could be related to weather changes.... You can apply a bit of coconut oil, or Aquaphor and it should clear up. We also had a nose issue, and ended changing Tyson's water to filtered water, it cleared up great, but he will still get dry nose during a drastic weather change. Do you get Stella any probiotics? This could also help with getting a more consistent poop, and will also help with any belly issues :) This is the one we use, and I purchase it off Amazon.

Microflora.jpg

Lastly, Yes you definitely need to do a slow switch, esp if she has a sensitive tummy. Start out by mixing a very little bit of the new food in with the old.... and slowly over the span of about a week (7-10) you should be fully switched over. You can also add in a little plain jane canned pumpkin to help with the transition. Please do the transition, not just a cold switch - it will be bad on her belly ;)

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
We have had great luck with GO fit and free Chicken Turkey and trout recipe grain free adult , I feed 5 dogs this and different breeds I have to take into consideration the Bulldog being the top of that consideration due to allergies and other possible diet issues , it is made in Canada so cost wise right now in the US should be to your advantage , I pay 75.99 CDN a 25lb or 11.3 KG bag No I do not want to know what I pay out for dog food per year for well now 4 dogs , I am very anal about what I feed them drives My pet food store crazy screw them at that price and 4 dogs , I use app 2 bags every almost 3 weeks , Hope it helps , Nat

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Is there a reason she was on the sensitive stomach food? I know that Natures Variety makes a limited ingredient food, if your concerned with things that are common triggers for bullies & their allergies. It honesty will be a trial though, you may end up going through a few until you find the one. We had to go through several kibbles, and finally decided kibble wasn't for us, so now we're on The Honest Kitchen (one of their bases) and we add in our own protein. Usually a lean beef, turkey, or kangaroo.

The dry nose could be related to weather changes.... You can apply a bit of coconut oil, or Aquaphor and it should clear up. We also had a nose issue, and ended changing Tyson's water to filtered water, it cleared up great, but he will still get dry nose during a drastic weather change. Do you get Stella any probiotics? This could also help with getting a more consistent poop, and will also help with any belly issues :) This is the one we use, and I purchase it off Amazon.

View attachment 95016

Lastly, Yes you definitely need to do a slow switch, esp if she has a sensitive tummy. Start out by mixing a very little bit of the new food in with the old.... and slowly over the span of about a week (7-10) you should be fully switched over. You can also add in a little plain jane canned pumpkin to help with the transition. Please do the transition, not just a cold switch - it will be bad on her belly ;)

Great post! I agree, look at NVI or The Honest Kitchen is always a good option due to stomach issues.

OP
AWD GS

AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
The dry nose could be related to weather changes.... You can apply a bit of coconut oil, or Aquaphor and it should clear up.

I want to say its from the food as I noticed the issue with the nose once I switched to the regular Nutro food. Before that when she was on the sensitive skin and stomach she never had an issue. I do apply a product to her nose (Snout Soother) which helps with the roughness.

Now when you say you add some of your own protein what do you mean by that? I'm not sure why she was on the previous food other than what the previous owner told me that she fed her so I wanted to keep the same so there was no transitioning between foods. I figured if I do switch that mixing a little at a time to slowly transition would be the way to go but what to confirm that.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

View attachment 95016

:goodpost::goodpost:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I want to say its from the food as I noticed the issue with the nose once I switched to the regular Nutro food. Before that when she was on the sensitive skin and stomach she never had an issue. I do apply a product to her nose (Snout Soother) which helps with the roughness.

Now when you say you add some of your own protein what do you mean by that? I'm not sure why she was on the previous food other than what the previous owner told me that she fed her so I wanted to keep the same so there was no transitioning between foods. I figured if I do switch that mixing a little at a time to slowly transition would be the way to go but what to confirm that.

The honest kitchen makes base mixes. So they are purely veggies, fruits, nuts, etc. No meat (protein) so we cook and add in our own at home.

OP
AWD GS

AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
thanks for all the helpful reply guys, thankfully the local pet store near me carries all the options that I printed out so I could check them out. I purchased a bag of the Natural Balance Potato and Duck to see how she does with that. Thankfully the store will accept returns on bags if she does not like the food or if it gives her any problems. I'll also check out the micro flora plus that you suggested as well TyTysmom

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.